Recommendations on 70 gal. planted tank filter

FantasyFanVII

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm trying to find a good canister filter for my 70 gallon aquarium, and I swear I'm going insane so I thought I'd see if anyone here could offer some advice. I'm planning on making a high tech planted tank with a carpet and several moderate to fast growing stem plants. My ideal stocking (as of now anyway) is ~12 zebra/leopard danios, ~12 corydoras (can't decide which, but it'll be one of the typical ~2.5in species) 6-8 congo tetras, and one angelfish. Might end up with some small algae eaters (oto cats/bristlenose plecos) if I need them to keep diatom algae down on the back plants. I tend to get it no matter what I do.
As you can see I'm not 100% set on stocking, but I would like to keep to those species. And of course, the more schooling fish I can get the better, so a want a high capacity filter.
Here's the catch: I need it to be compatible with an inline CO2 diffuser, and possibly an inline heater. I was looking into the FX4 but I really don't want to have to Macgyver inline equipment to it.
Was also looking at this: Ultum Nature Systems DELTA 120 Aquarium Canister Filter There's not many reviews out there on it as far as I can tell. Anyone used one? And yes, I know it's only half the flow of the FX4, but I can run a SunSun or something with it if you guys think I should.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's hard to even find a great starting point, and it's always good to hear from other hobbyists :)

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I run an EheI'm 2213 on my 20 gallon. I love the simplicity of it. Have you thought about an EheI'm 2217 and either the Sunsun you mentioned or a sponge to supplement. The EheI'm would be super easy to add any kind of inline accessories you want with its standard hoses.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

They are sold under the Aurora Polar brand on Amazon as well.

Consider filling it full of a couple layers of 20ppI foam sponge topped off with a single layer of 30ppi. Don't underestimate the power of foam sponge media. Ha

Aquaneat brand sells 2" thick sheets for $12 on Amazon. I just recently bought their 20ppI and 30ppI sheets and added them to our filters.

Black Thumb

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm with TWiG87. The EheI'm Classics are solid filters. I would probably run a 2217 and 2215 on a 70 though, rather than just one. If you want one, I think you'd have to go bigger with Eheim, and 2262s, while rock solid, are more than the two I suggested if I'm not mistaken.

I have a Fluval 305 that's not currently in service, too, and that was reliable as well for the few years I ran it. I just like the simplicity of the EheI'm Classics. Were I looking for something more trendy, given my experience with the Fluval 305, I'd probably look for a 407 to run a 70 gallon. The Fluvals likely have enough flow to be the only filter. My 305 seems to pump out much more water and create much more current than my 2215 - of course, I run the duck-bill on the 305 and the spray bar on the Eheim, so that may account for much of my perception.

I have been happy with both companies, and my LFS is happy to get me parts if I need them.

Beneful1

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank sounds very similar. I run my trusty old Fluval 404 canister packed with Biohome Ultra media in 3 trays, and a Marineland 350 HOB on the back for just in case backup.. Since I added the HOB I don't have to clean out the canister but every few months because the HOB picks up a lot of guck.. I have medium and fine foams in the back of the HOB and rinse them off maybe once a week.. It's been working great.

OP
FantasyFanVII

FantasyFanVII

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the advice guys.

Black Thumb Beneful1 Like I said, I really like the FX4, but I can't find a good way to hook an inline diffuser to them. I want the inline diffuser for looks/efficiency, so I'd rather not swap it for anything. Thank you for the replies though.

I'm honestly leaning towards the CVS and SunSun combo. There's not a whole lot of info on the CVS, but it looks solid, has a good price, will work with an inline diffuser, and I'm curious. So why not? I'll always have the SunSun as a temporary backup if I need it. The biggest reason to take one over an EheI'm really is curiosity honestly. Yeah, yeah curiosity killed the cat, but how else will you learn right :)

As for a smaller EheI'm vs. SunSun for the 'secondary' filter, what sold me on SunSuns were their built in UV sterilizers. I know they're not necessary, but I figure it can't hurt to run one a couple hours a day, and hopefully it'll help clean up whatever diatom algae I inevitably get and end up knocking off plants and into the water column.

Still a few things I'm not sure on though. First, what SunSun am I getting? Was looking at the Hw303B and HW-702B. Looks like the first one is a better deal, but the second has lower GPH, which I wonder about being a good thing considering how much I'm already running. I don't want to stress out my fish with too much flow.

Speaking of flow, what should I do for outputs? Was thinking I'd use the default nozzle on the CVS, which is running the CO2, and a spray bar on the SunSun. The logic being, I want a more concentrated blast shooting across the tank for the CO2. I also want the spray bar to stop the current from getting too crazy, and to give me good surface movement. I know it sounds contradictory in a CO2 injected tank, but I use one on my high tech 20gal and I find it lets me keep high O2 and CO2 with no issues. Could probably be slightly more efficient without the bar, but I don't really care. Both outputs will be set up on the same side of the tank, to control the current.

Anyone have any thoughts on current plans before I actually order stuff? Once again, all advice is greatly appreciated :) And yes I realize I'm basically just leaning towards my original plan anyway. I swear I didn't plan on doing that.

New Threads