Recommendations for tank size for goldfish

Silem

Reaction score
I have been considering Shubunkin goldfish, though I have an apartment with limited space and unsure of how large an aquarium would be best suited for them and since they can get quite large, I have thought that a 120-150 gallon tank might be reasonable (a person at the pet store was talking about a 60 gallon which sounded way too small for them). I was thinking about having four goldfish of the same peaceful variety within the tank.

So, my questions boil down to this: If I am planning on getting 4 Shubunkins, what size tank would be best suited for them to live a happy and healthy long life? If it may be impractical to go with Shubunkins, what would be a good variety to seek out that would live a long and happy life in my apartment? My partner has a dog and has put his face up against the tank at the vet's office, so I want to watch out for any concerns regarding stress on the fish as well.

OP
S

Silem

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
You would probably want at least 300-400 gallons or 8' x2' base (just a rough estimate)

Maybe stick to fancy goldfish and you could go 3-4 in a 150?
The concern I have with fancy goldfish is that sources that I have read indicate they only live 5-10 years on average due to the breeding. There is a possibility that I could relocate in the next year at which point perhaps I should hold off on getting a tank and fish. I rather not stress out the fish if I am aware of any possibilities of moving.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I am not sure on this but I think with good care a goldfish can last maybe 15-20 years, fancy or not

if you choose to hold off on fish and wait for a bigger tank, great! good luck :)

OP
S

Silem

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
I am not sure on this but I think with good care a goldfish can last maybe 15-20 years, fancy or not

if you choose to hold off on fish and wait for a bigger tank, great! good luck :)
After some investigation, I believe that I can accommodate a 90 gallon tank with the space I have. I was also contemplating ryukins seeing as they are of the fancy variety.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Silem said:
After some investigation, I believe that I can accommodate a 90 gallon tank with the space I have. I was also contemplating ryukins seeing as they are of the fancy variety.
A 90 gallon is big enough. You could put 6-8 in there(this opinion comes from experience and research, I understand that some people say that 6-8 is way too much), but you have to keep up with the water changes; you don't get much leeway for goldfish, especially if you are basically fully stocked.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Silem said:
What are the tank dimensions? The amount of fish that can go in a tank depends on those :)

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
What are the tank dimensions? The amount of fish that can go in a tank depends on those :)
Agreed! Swimming space and oxygen levels are important.

OP
S

Silem

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
I'm looking at a possible 36" long by 24" wide by 24" deep with my given space

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Silem said:
The concern I have with fancy goldfish is that sources that I have read indicate they only live 5-10 years on average due to the breeding. There is a possibility that I could relocate in the next year at which point perhaps I should hold off on getting a tank and fish. I rather not stress out the fish if I am aware of any possibilities of moving.
Correct. Eight years is old for fancy goldfish. Non-fancy varieties can live much longer and with less health problems in the long run. If you want to potentially deal with swim bladder issues for 3-5 years it's alive, then get a fancy.

I have 3 commons and 1 fancy. I originally had 2, but one of them started developing buoyancy issues by 1 year of age. The one I have left, aftering having it almost 2 years is starting to get it too. I suspect it's something I and the fish will have to deal with until it dies. My commons are all very healthy.

Many people recommend fancy goldfish because they are more beginner friendly, but I disagree. There's a much larger margin for error with non-fancies than fancy varieties.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
scarface said:
Correct. Eight years is old for fancy goldfish. Non-fancy varieties can live much longer and with less health problems in the long run. If you want to potentially deal with swim bladder issues for 3-5 years its alive, then a fancy is for you.
I think it really depends on the type of fancy goldfish, I've seen some live for 20 years but others live for 7. Swim bladder stuff can be a pain in the butt. Feeding really high quality food can help though.

OP
S

Silem

Reaction score
bgntoc said:
I think it really depends on the type of fancy goldfish, I've seen some live for 20 years but others live for 7. Swim bladder stuff can be a pain in the butt. Feeding really high quality food can help though.
I've heard that feeding them cooled, cooked, shelled peas helps with that as well as holding off on feeding them until the swim bladder issue passes. Is this true?

INeedHelpLol

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How about a pacific ocean? Heard those can house a few goldfish...

;)
I know *nothing* about goldfish... I kept 10 in a 5 gallon. Years ago. With a betta. Yeah. I'll leave now...

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Silem said:
I've heard that feeding them cooled, cooked, shelled peas helps with that as well as holding off on feeding them until the swim bladder issue passes. Is this true?
It helps, but I think prevention is important too. Feed a high-quality food(gel food is expensive but is easy on their digestive system) is very important. They will also need vegetation from time to time. I've heard peas work, but that duckweed is helpful too. If you are really concerned about the swim bladder thing, I would feed less(don't overfeed basically), feed the repashy gel food(again, its a little on the pricey side though), and feed duckweed sometimes. I know a lot of people say don't feed floating pellets, but bloat is caused by bad quality pellets/food, not really by gulping air(i've never had a problem feeding floating food).

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
INeedHelpLol said:

;)
I know *nothing* about goldfish... I kept 10 in a 5 gallon. Years ago. With a betta. Yeah. I'll leave now...
Lol I had a goldfish bowl with 6 goldfish in it once. It was not even 3 gallons. I think we gave them away tho, except for one who is still alive :)

OP
S

Silem

Reaction score
INeedHelpLol said:

;)
I had one goldfish when I was growing up and it was is a pretty decent sized tank, much larger than a 5 gallon. It lasted for a few years and I added another fish which was pecked to death and later that fish that did the pecking developed a growth on one of its eyes.

The ocean would probably not be the best idea considering they are fresh water and not salt water. Also releasing goldfish into the wild is bad because they can disrupt the ecosystem.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Silem said:
I had one goldfish when I was growing up and it was is a pretty decent sized tank, much larger than a 5 gallon. It lasted for a few years and I added another fish which was pecked to death and later that fish that did the pecking developed a growth on one of its eyes.

The ocean would probably not be the best idea considering they are fresh water and not salt water. Also releasing goldfish into the wild is bad because they can disrupt the ecosystem.
True about the ecosystem thing(lol I see so many articles and videos on it). Goldfish CAN acclimate to saltwater(a lot of freshwater fish can actually) but it must be done over a long period of time. Also, I'm sad to hear about your fish that died. Losing fish is never fun :(

INeedHelpLol

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Silem said:

B-b-but the ocean is l-like huuuge

New Threads