Recommendations For Smaller Low Maintenance Plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by OnTheFly, Apr 20, 2017.

1. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I am planting a new 60G tank and would like to move some stock to numerous smaller tanks this fall. I may pick up a larger tank as well? My 60G tank gets a lot of indirect sunlight on all but a cloudy day. I haven't installed my LED lights on tank yet but I don't imagine they have any real plant benefit? I know I will deal with algae at some point but I can move the tank later, and probably will. I'd like some suggestions for the following.

-low growing plant for the front tank floor
    -floating plants for a guppy fry and grow out tank. I will bury a small tank with plants for that purpose. Intend to raise some high-end guppies and that method works.
    -a few plants to attach to driftwood.

Aquarium hobbyist local show this weekend and I'd like to show up with a list so I can be flexible. LFS stock is pathetic.

Currently I have some Aponogeten bulbs in back. They grew 6 to 24+ inches in 10 days after sprouting. Also picked up some Amazon Melon Sword yesterdays. Back of tank is covered but I'd add another tall plant or two if I am missing out on something amazing.

2. Katelyn DunnValued MemberMember

3. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Katelyn. I have heard good things about java fern. I have heard duckweed can be incredibly invasive. Have you had it in your tank very long?

4. Katelyn DunnValued MemberMember

Yes. It grows fast but it's really good for nitrates because it's fast growing. I take the excess out once every three or four months. I kill it by soaking it in salt water before putting it in the trash.

5. Katelyn DunnValued MemberMember

Yes. It grows fast but it's really good for nitrates because it's fast growing. I take the excess out once every three or four months. I kill it by soaking it in salt water before putting it in the trash.

6. Katelyn DunnValued MemberMember

Sorry that posted three times for some reason

7. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

In my opinion, the best floating plant for guppy breeding is wisteria. Great stuff.

8. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Duane, this is Dewayne :)
    I will pick some up. The LFS supply is awful, but I will order if I have to. Some serious guppy breeding will definitely be going on here soon.

9. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

10. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

11. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

That's funny.

I know I'm the new guy but I've had guppies off and on for 40 years (since I was born). There are pis of me being held up in a diaper feeding our 55 gallon planted aquarium full of fancy guppies. My 9 year old son is just starting to breed them and we float wisteria for them. Foxtail is another good one but I prefer wisteria simply for its looks. I feel like foxtail looks like the weeds we find at the lake around here. There are different types of wisteria too. Some looks like tangled ferns, others looks like a stem plant that grows tall with nickel-sized, jagged-edged leafs you'd find outside in the flower garden, and it does get little flowers on it. I prefer the latter.

12. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Ashenwelt, did you miss the part about my natural indirect light? I'm afraid to add any artificial light yet. I have plants growing inches per day. The Apono was nuts. One from a bulb to top of a 60G in 10 days. The others growing more normally. 6" tall in 10-14 days. Perhaps a different species of Apono?

13. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Duane, same here but I had a long break. I raised them 1970s-90s. I used alot of anacharis back then. Fish love it, but it melts and makes a mess in low light and no ferts etc.

14. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

So... That's a LOT of indirect light. Normally when people say indirect lights its more like opening a closet door. Lol

15. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Can you post a pic of the tank currently so we can judge the lighting better?

Other good floating plants for fry are hornwort, Java moss, and guppy grass. If you don't find any this weekend I would be happy to send you some... I literally have storage bins filled with both in on the windowsill... pm me if you are interested :)
    Water Sprite is another good one. I find in my fry tanks I have some floating and some planted, fry seem to enjoy both.

16. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Thank you for that kind offer Jocelyn. I don't expect to see too much at the show. The group seems dominated by the huge tank/ large cichlid gang. I haven't seen any hornwort or guppy grass locally. The local LFS Java is sickly and expensive. I would be happy to pay you for some healthy starter.

On to the tanks. Not sure a PIC will give you a better perspective, but I can better describe my "indirect light" now that I have been called out lol. :) I paid closer attention today and here is what I have.

60G on livingroom interior wall far from any windows. (Where my wife told me to put it if I wanted it in the LR). :) She'll let me move it later if it turns green but no algae so far which surprises me. Away from windows but there is a small skylight that faces south. Half the tank is getting blasted with direct sunlight about 30 minutes per day now. That will happen again for a few weeks in early fall. The rest of the day we have the reflection off white walls. The room is well lit most of the day. It will get decent light during the winter because it faces south.

I'm also setting up the breeder tank (dark room), fry tanks are 5.5G. I have the little fry tanks set up in the dormers of a Cape Cod style home. Blinds on the windows so I can control the light. I want one very weedy fry tank for guppies. They are happy with algae so I may intentionally cause that. IME they grow crazy fast in a very green tank.

That's probably enough info for now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice