Recommendations for planted tank

KTshrimp

Hello! I already have two planted tanks and I am hoping to start another soon! I just wanted to know y’all’s recommendations on how to make it the best possible planted tank! What type of substrate do y’all like? Any specific products or equipment to make it extra pretty? What are your recommendations on how to keep the plants growing and healthy? Any other helpful advice? I also love pictures for examples if y’all have any!
Thanks!

ChrissFishes01

I really prefer an inert substrate (plain gravel or sand) with root tabs added into it. I've had planted tank substrates fall apart and become kinda nasty after a few years, so I avoid them now.

Personally, I like low-medium tech tanks. I've done high-tech, but it's usually just more work than I want to do with the constant trimming. So, for me, I really like the Finnex Stingray lights (which are usually low/medium light, depending on the dimensions of your tank) on a wifi timer. From there, I'll typically dose Easy Green once a week and Easy Iron if I have lots of red plants. For lower tech tanks, I've found the Easy line to be plenty effective.

I think the best thing you can do for a planted tank is to leave it alone. We like to move stuff around, dose new chemicals/fertilizer, change our lighting, add/remove CO2, and that creates an unstable environment that isn't really favorable to plant growth. Much like fish, I've found that plants will prefer a stable environment over a rapidly changing one, even if the environment isn't quite ideal. There are limits, of course, but I think for most plants the #1 enemy is loving them to death, unless the tank is having other obvious issues.

The only recent planted tank I've done is my dwarf puffer tank - it's definitely a jungle, and was meant to be cluttered (for plenty of places to explore for the puffer), but I kind of like the look. I've never been one for "pristine" scapes, but to each their own.

Tigerburp

For a substrate I like fluval stratum but if you are on a budget sand is a close second

KTshrimp

I really prefer an inert substrate (plain gravel or sand) with root tabs added into it. I've had planted tank substrates fall apart and become kinda nasty after a few years, so I avoid them now.

Personally, I like low-medium tech tanks. I've done high-tech, but it's usually just more work than I want to do with the constant trimming. So, for me, I really like the Finnex Stingray lights (which are usually low/medium light, depending on the dimensions of your tank) on a wifi timer. From there, I'll typically dose Easy Green once a week and Easy Iron if I have lots of red plants. For lower tech tanks, I've found the Easy line to be plenty effective.

I think the best thing you can do for a planted tank is to leave it alone. We like to move stuff around, dose new chemicals/fertilizer, change our lighting, add/remove CO2, and that creates an unstable environment that isn't really favorable to plant growth. Much like fish, I've found that plants will prefer a stable environment over a rapidly changing one, even if the environment isn't quite ideal. There are limits, of course, but I think for most plants the #1 enemy is loving them to death, unless the tank is having other obvious issues.

The only recent planted tank I've done is my dwarf puffer tank - it's definitely a jungle, and was meant to be cluttered (for plenty of places to explore for the puffer), but I kind of like the look. I've never been one for "pristine" scapes, but to each their own.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will most likely be doing a low tech tank. I will definitely have to try the Easy line. I have heard of it, but just haven’t gotten around to buying it yet!

Mudminnow

The best possible planted tank is highly subjective. There are many ways to make nice planted aquarium.

Currently, I really enjoy my 150 gallon high tech planted tank. I set it up with the idea to use the best equipment I knew. The plants are vibrant in this tank, and it looks like a glass of Champaign with all the rising oxygen bubbles. Also, there is no visible algae. If you want to set up a tank like mine, here is what I use/do: UNS Controsoil, APT Complete dosed daily, Osmocote Flower and Vegetable (one sphere every couple of inches of substrate placed once every three months), 5lb CO2 tank, CO2Art regulator, NilocG NA Advance Reactor, SBReef planted LED light system, 50% weekly water changes, and regular trimming.

You must be registered to see images

I still need to tweak things (maybe switching out/adding other types of plants), so the aquascape is more interesting. But, the tank is very healthy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FyaNyan
Replies
Views
gray_matter16
  • Question
Replies
Views
KingJamal2
Replies