Recommendations For New Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by shookyjr, Apr 10, 2017.

1. shookyjr

shookyjr Valued Member Member

Hi! I'm slowly restocking my tank and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a couple of centerpiece fish and/or any other fish/creatures I could add. (My kids love creatures that do more than just swim and eat, lol. They want to add cory cats but I don't know about adding 6+ of those or if I even want to. They also want to add a betta.) Here's what I'm working with:

29 gallon planted tank (duckweed 20% cover, anubias, java fern, rose swords, banana plant, pennywort) with 2-3" gravel, driftwood, fluorescent light in full hood on timer, Aqueon QF20 filter, and air stone

pH 7.4
    NH3 <.25
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrate 7.5
    Temp 73F

6 Glofish Danio
    Dwarf orange Mexican crayfish (m)
    Albino bushynose pleco
    3 mystery snails
    3 platies

Thanks in advance! :)

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

A betta would need warmer water than your current stock

I think you could add 6-8 panda cories, not sure if they would get on with the crayfish though

Maybe a single molly?

3. Ashto Brado

Ashto Brado Valued Member Member

Dwarf crayfish r fine with corys, it's the regular which ll slaughter them. If ur gonna turn up the temp, then maybe 2 angelfish, or some gouramis, but that's rly about it, u look pretty sound. Btw, a lot of shrimp would be fine with the dwarf crayfish

4. BottomDweller

The glo danios would need cooler water than angels though

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Instead of a betta, how about a honey gourami or two? They're labyrinth fish like bettas, and have similar personality.

6. D

DK42875 Valued Member Member

I'm not sure on this but I don't think 2 angels will fit with the other fish in a 29 gal. For some reason I obsessed with micro fish, you could try some dwarf puffers (although you would have to forgo most of the stuff on your stocking list and I'm not sure how many could go in a 29 gal). Such little fish with such big personalities!

7. BottomDweller

I agree a honey gourami would be good. They are a lot more peaceful than bettas

I agree

8. S

Sepehr Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    Betta is not a good option, They are not compatible with a community Aquarium most of the times.
    Maybe your children like Dwarf Gourami because they are very colorful and they can also live with Angel (Angel is great for higher temperature)

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe a school of julii cories?

10. OP
    OP
    shookyjr

shookyjr Valued Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take the kiddos to our LFS this week! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice