Recommendations For Hob Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by berri, Jun 20, 2018.

1. berri

berri New Member Member

I had a Marineland biowheel, but it only lasted 4 months. It did the job and was quiet, but did not last long, and yes I maintained it. Need recommendations for a HOB that is good quality, quiet and will not require me to mortgage my house to buy. I have a 60 gallon and currently have a dual sponge filter and a Hydor canister.

2. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

With a canister perhaps you don’t need an HOB filter? At four months I’d be looking for a warranty replacement. That’s not long at all. Or, when in doubt get an aqua clear 110.

3. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm sold on Acquaclear HOB's. I now have them on all my tanks. I find them quiet and I like the fact that the media parts do not need to be changed all at once. It will be interesting to see what others say.

4. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

unfortunately my sister got this for me and she no longer has the receipt for an exchange. I like to have a backup just in case one goes out, which happened.

5. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

the new tidals are getting good reviews but again their new so not sure on lasting ability. To me the tried and true work horse is the aquaclears. My 110 is just over 16 years old and still works almost like new. I say almost as it has gotten a little louder over the years but not too bad yet. The sponge media lasts about 5 years and the bio rings last basically forever till you start stealing them to start other tanks.

6. Ohio Mark

Just curious -- do you not change the media as often as the instruction suggest? I have been, but maybe I'm changing media too often? Or more often than necessary?

7. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I just bought a fluval C2, I love it, very quiet, 5 stage media filtration and you can customize it to use what you want, adjustable flow. I was torn between that and an aqua clear but that’s what I decided on. It’s overkill for my 10g but there are different sizes. I paid $35ish on Amazon.

8. WTFish?

Mark, yeah don’t follow instructions, they want your money! Just rinse in tank water, IF you ever need to replace some media, just do one at a time, if there are different ones. Or run old and new together for about a month before tossing it. But it should really be years before you need to :)

9. Ohio Mark

Thanks, this is good to know! I've been faithfully following the instructions -- replacing one kind of media every month. This will save me $$$ that I can spend on FISH. :)

10. WTFish?

Absolutely! And it’ll save your bacteria! More money for Apistos!

11. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

The only thing i do with the bigger ac filter sponge is cut it in half so its not as thick so i can squish the gunk out easier. But as far as replacing them i tend to give chunks of it away faster than it ever falling apart so everything but the carbon lasts for many years. Right now i have a sponge and a half in it with half a bag of the ceramic rings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice