Recommendations for a smaller betta tank

1. celizabethh3 Member Member

I currently have a female betta in a tank that is too small for her but is maintained through regular water changes and the use of Prime.

I have had her for nearly two years now and last summer I bought her a 10 gallon tank only to find out she has swim bladder. She was okay for a couple of days but then she appeared bloated and was swimming on her side. She would try to "dive bomb" to the bottom of the tank but with no avail. Eventually she just wedged herself between decorations and stayed like that until I put her back into her old tank. Of course she was mad at me. ;) But I hated seeing her like that. I think the depth of the tank is what caused the SB to flare up as she has no issues since then.

I've looked at PetSmart and Walmart and they have smaller tanks than what she's in or ones that feel flimsy such as the Aqueon Mini Bow. I came across this on eBay which looks decent but have no knowledge of the tanks reliability - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tetra-29095-...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5666b26858&_uhb=1

My question is for those of you who have smaller betta tanks, what do you use? I am in Canada and have a PetSmart and Big Al's locally, along with independent LFS. I'm not opposed to purchasing something online as long at the price is decent. I'm looking to keep the tank under $50. It doesn't have to come with a built in filter, I can purchase that myself. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I may not be much help. But my betta is in a 20gallon tank all to himself and he is thriving! :) i'm no expert but if you've managed to heal her swim bladder disease maybe you should try putting her back in the 10gal. I'm sure she'd love it and I don't think the tank size would have caused SB?

What do you feed her and what are you water parameters?

A cheap but well worth filter is a sponge filter. Its great for bettas!

3. celizabethh3 Member Member

I always assumed it was the depth that caused the flare up because she was kept in a cup at the petstore and I never had her in a deep tank.

The water parameters are 0, 0 and 10 and I do weekly water changes, condition with Prime. She is fed betta pellets by Aqueon and freeze dried bloodworms.

I may try to put her back in the 10 and see how that goes. Only trouble is I have some Corys in there at the moment and I don't think she's going to like that. When I first had the 10g set up, I had her in with some African Dwarf Frogs and she hated them. Despite her swim bladder, she would attack them when they surfaced for air so she's a no tank mate kind of girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I have about 8 Fluval Spec III's, they are something slightly less than 3 gallons. Obviously if I have so many, I think they are the better of small tanks out there. While their regular price is a bit more, they are frequently on sale for $50 or slightly less at PetCo (online, I never go to a store) and elsewhere. I think the most I've paid for one was $55. They include a suitable filtration system and a LED light just good enough for some low light plants.

Here is one I set up for my niece, top is missing on the first one for the picture of bubblenest.
    RPV_0094.jpg RPV_0086.jpg

5. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I love that tank, I wish I was your niece... lol

I keep mine in a almost 3 gallon tank, just a rectangle, nothing special..

Its actually very spacious, but I'm not going to try and convince the experts.

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

_Fried_Bettas_ thank you for commenting! :) I was hoping you would because you keep beautiful bettas and figured you would know best. There isn't a Petco in Canada but I'll certainly look at their online store or at my LFS for the Fluval Spec III.

mg13 do you know what kind of tank it is? Does it have a built in filtration system?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. mg13 Well Known Member Member

oh no...lol

its just a plain glass almost cube... lol

8. celizabethh3 Member Member

That's okay. :) I'm honestly open to anything at this point and wouldn't mind buying my own filter, heater, etc. Does it have a lid with lights? Do you recall where you got it? Sorry for asking a million questions! I'm just trying to shop around and see what's best for my betta girl.

9. celizabethh3 Member Member

http://www.amazon.ca/Marina-360-Deg...upplies_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1286NCKYWB976KSJS1BC

Has anyone used this tank before? Aside from finding replacement filter media (which shouldn't be too hard), it sounds like a decent tank. I really would prefer one of the Fluval tanks (Spec or Spec III) but I am having a hard time finding ones under $100 or ones that will ship to Canada (Amazon, Petco.) I'll keep my eyes open still. :)

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I have the Tetra 1.50g set up and it works great. I keep snails in it. The filter is being used in another betta tank. The filter is nice and soft, not too strong. Filter is air driven.

If you get the Tetra or Mariland use a scrub brush made for acrylic or it'll scratch.

11. celizabethh3 Member Member

psalm18.2 Have you had any issues with the filter or lights on the Tetra? I'm still considering their 3G tank but read that both of those break in a few months. Ideally I'd like to house my betta and maybe a snail or shrimp if she doesn't attack either. ;)

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Never. The light even grew low light plants. I had anubias, java fern, and java moss grow quite nicely.

The model I have has the light sit directly on the cover. The model light you showed looks a little different than mine.

I've had mine for over a year, still working.

13. renthus Well Known Member Member

I suspect that the freeze dried bloodworms may have contributed to illness. Frozen worms are great. Freeze dried, however, is very unhealthy.

I have two tanks I use for my bettas: One is in a 5.5g (plain rectangle, standard tank) with a separate filter, light, and heater. I think in total the cost was something like $40, but I had a spare filter, substrate, and plants laying around anyway. The other is a Mr. Aqua 12g-Long, divided into three 4g sections. It actually might be exactly what you want, given that it's ridiculously short. I think it's about 9 inches tall?

14. celizabethh3 Member Member

When I noticed the swim bladder issue (last summer) I hadn't given her freeze dried anything. But I'm looking for new options and will definitely be using frozen foods in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them. :)

15. mg13 Well Known Member Member

celizabethh3 , it's a glass box with a glass lid...

no lights... no nothing...

I got it at a garage sale, and I have no idea where they would get it...

And I think it would be too small for a heater, or filter, or anything, unless you got a small one, I'm moving him to a ten gallon divided into three, one side for Mark (My Betta), the other Blue Gem (my rescue) and the other for another that I haven't gotten yet.

Sorry, I didn't think that you would really consider it, I just bluttered it out.

garage sales are a good place to get cheap tanks, and you can see them right away... and you can see if you want it before you actually tell them about anything...

sorry... :p lol

16. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Too bad you can't order from PetCo, they had 30% off and the Spec 3's were down to $48, I ended up buying 3 more.

17. mg13 Well Known Member Member

where do you keep all your tanks?!?!?!?!

I heard they where having a dollar per gallon sale, it was over on the 12th.

18. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I live alone, there is no one here to tell me I can't have wall to wall tanks.

19. celizabethh3 Member Member

@_Fried_Betta_ I was all over Petco's website *hoping* they would magically ship to Canada. If I'm ever across the border, I'll definitely pick one (or two) up as they look fantastic! I found out that Big Al's does carry them but they're currently out of stock so any future upgrades will definitely be a Spec.

I have one more quick question for you since you're the betta expert. :) Do you or have you kept any tank mates with your bettas? I was thinking of adding some sort of snail or maybe a shrimp or two in with my girl but I would rather they didn't end up as food so I was just curious to see if you've had any luck. I have two other tanks to move any possible tank mate into in case of a disaster.

mg13 Don't be sorry! Thank you for your help. Your set up sounds similar to mine. It's a relatively large cube but I feel as if it's too small for my girl and would prefer having filtration. It has been a (semi) temporary set up for her. After the mishap with the 10g and swim bladder, I didn't want to chance putting her in too deep of a tank, just in case. It's nice to see how everyone else keeps their bettas though because then I'm familiar with other options out there. Side note - where did you get the lid for your tank? The one I purchased doesn't come with one (which may be a problem if I house her with another tank mate) and I have no idea where to get a lid that small.

I came across something called the Dymax IQ3, regularly $80 and went ahead and purchased it because they were having a sale. I ran a search on Google and apparently it's good for a mini saltwater tank so I thought I would give it a try. It has built-in filtration which seems like it would fit the smaller AquaClear sponges and other media. It's supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow with a bottle of TSS and various other things. I went a bit overboard. ;)

Hopefully it ends up being a good purchase. Of all the tanks I looked at (minus any Fluval tanks), it seemed to be the best. I'll hopefully have it set up some time late tomorrow afternoon or evening and I'll be sure to post some photos. I bet Delila (my betta) is going to be so happy! I might even try my hand at live plants once things get settled. In the mean time, I bought a betta hammock and some silk plants to keep her from getting her fins torn, new substrate and decorations, you name it. The things we do for our fish eh? I just need to purchase a heater but our summers are so humid that it won't be a concern until September.

20. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I do not have any tankmates, other than pond snails, in with my adult bettas that are in smaller tanks.

I experimented when I was first keeping bettas with community tanks and bettas, or jamming extra fish in a 5 or 10 gallon. It is not a good idea with male bettas, only only conceivable with females in a 20+ gallon. Only exceptions for males in 20+ gallon are cories, otos, bristlenose, shrimp, and snails. With the possibility that some bettas will eat shrimp and/or snails, and occasionally you will get a betta that will attack anything that moves.

I have kept various fish in my 40 gallon sorority with the females without much difficulty. And I keep corys and bristlenose in the larger growout tanks with the larger fry and females.

I have as of yet, never kept any shrimp, I only have the stories from this forum to go by. I have actually decided to try some shrimp, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I want to try them out in both my growout tanks and with some adults. Perhaps after that I will have more to say one way or another.