recommendations for a "centerpiece" fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all. This may be my third stocking-related post on my 29g, but I just have something else I'd like to throw out there. I would just like to hear suggestions of some "centerpiece" fish that would go well with my sterbai cory cats and rummy noses. There are 3 cories and 9 rummy noses. It's a relatively newly established tank but so far everything is going great. Parameters good, fish seem happy and active, all over the tank. It's planted and the rummy noses are small, so I'm hoping to generously bend the 1"/gallon rule. The original plan was 2 German Blue Rams but I'm just looking for other possible suggestions.

Tank parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
pH 6.9 (looks between 6.8 and 7)
Temp 80 degrees

Let me know what you think!

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've considered DGs. Could I get 2 males?

I worry about getting 2 males of anything now, I think my betta boys make me paranoid... >.>

Speaking of which, does anyone know if 2 female GBRs would be peaceful? Would 2 male GBRs be aggressive with each other without a female in the mix?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A single Flag Cichlid (Laetacara Curviceps) would work in your tank. They are really peacefull & only get to about 3 1/2". If you could find one, Macropodus Ocellatus (sorry don't know common name) are a spectacular fish that don't have the aggression levels of Paradise Fish. A Blue/Three Spot Gourami would be another option.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A single Flag Cichlid (Laetacara Curviceps) would work in your tank. They are really peacefull & only get to about 3 1/2". If you could find one, Macropodus Ocellatus (sorry don't know common name) are a spectacular fish that don't have the aggression levels of Paradise Fish. A Blue/Three Spot Gourami would be another option.
Macropodus ocellatus goes by a lot of common names, including Chinese Paradise Fish and Roundtail Paradise Fish.

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oo, I've never seen a Macropodus ocellatus in my LFSes, but they are pretty! Like a designer betta in au naturale colors. The females are almost shockingly plain though...

Laetacara curviceps is also pretty... too many fish, too few gallons.

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm already going with a pair of German blue rams (currently have the female half of the pair). I really wanted a fish who'd be more active in the top-middle portions of the tank though since that area seems lonely. I may feel it's less necessary when the rummies get more comfortable in the tank and the rams get bigger though.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For something active & mid to top water it's pretty hard to go past some of the smaller Rainbowfish varietes. Celebe's, Spotted, Threadfin & McCulloch's Rainbows would all be suitable. Or perhaps some peacefull Killifish. Research Killifish varietes carefully first though as some are highly aggressive & some are too peacefull & need a species tank. There are quite a few that would be suitable though if you do your research thoroughly first.

OP
midthought

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read a bit about killifish, but they didn't sound keepable without manually going through and getting their eggs, keeping them in peat, etc etc. I will do some more research though and find more info on specific varieties. They are awfully interesting fish though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom