• Ember Tetras and Salt and Pepper Cory's

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Single species only of 1 dwarf puffer

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently decided to setup a 5 gallon, heavily planted, nano tank and would like recommendations for what plants you guys think would create a good scape and are size appropriate. The lighting is an LED lamp with 37 LED's rated at 10 watts, 759 lumens, and 11000k of full spectrum lighting. I also have my interests for stocking ideas fish wise in the poll. Any help, ideas, suggestions, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I have 3+ years of experience and have ran tanks from .5 gallons - 60 gallons and would be up to a possible challenge with the stocking of this tank.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
corydoras cannot be in a 5g sadly. they are too active and need to be in a school so the minimum is 20g for them. ottos also need i think a 10g (i could be wrong). you could do just celestial pearl danios or just one dwarf puffer. i personally would go with a dwarf puffer since i find them interesting. although dwarf puffers are a bit tricky as they will only eat live foods. so it will be a good idea to have a separate tank or container to grow pest snails like ramshorn and bladder snails as they are the easiest to breed.

for plants i would recommend crypts as they are extremely easy and there is a large variety of them to choose from, all they really need is root tabs if you dont have a nutrient rich substrate. java ferns and anubias are good choices as well, since they dont need anything and are almost impossible to kill but they do need to be tied to a rock or piece of wood because you cant bury them. amazon swords is also a popular plant but i never tried them. hornwort can be either planted or left floating and is also an easy plant but might get messy if it needles drop. frogbit is a great floating plant if your interested in getting a floater, they are small but easy to grow sometimes flower but its rare.

moss balls are also a good option as they need very little maintenance just need to be squeezed out once a week in the water and rotated so once side wont get brown. java moss or another type of moss could be a great plant. anarcharis is an easy to grow plant and is very popular but i have no experience with it.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Option 1,2 and 3 are all shoaling species, so you'd need 5-6 minimum of each species. So in total that would be 10 fish, which is too many for a 5 gallon.

If you really wanted you could keep 5 ember tetras OR 5 daninos alone, but that would be pushing it. IMO a 5 gallon is much too small for any type of corys, so I'd nix those. Your best is only one dwarf puffer, but make sure you do your research! I'm considering them for my next 10 gallon build, and apparently they have very specific diet needs.

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JamieXPXP said:
corydoras cannot be in a 5g sadly. they are too active and need to be in a school so the minimum is 20g for them. ottos also need i think a 10g (i could be wrong). you could do just celestial pearl danios or just one dwarf puffer. i personally would go with a dwarf puffer since i find them interesting. although dwarf puffers are a bit tricky as they will only eat live foods. so it will be a good idea to have a separate tank or container to grow pest snails like ramshorn and bladder snails as they are the easiest to breed.

for plants i would recommend crypts as they are extremely easy and there is a large variety of them to choose from, all they really need is root tabs if you dont have a nutrient rich substrate. java ferns and anubias are good choices as well, since they dont need anything and are almost impossible to kill but they do need to be tied to a rock or piece of wood because you cant bury them. amazon swords is also a popular plant but i never tried them. hornwort can be either planted or left floating and is also an easy plant but might get messy if it needles drop. frogbit is a great floating plant if your interested in getting a floater, they are small but easy to grow sometimes flower but its rare.

moss balls are also a good option as they need very little maintenance just need to be squeezed out once a week in the water and rotated so once side wont get brown. java moss or another type of moss could be a great plant. anarcharis is an easy to grow plant and is very popular but i have no experience with it.
Thanks for the suggestions, I was initially strongly leaning towards a dwarf puffer as I have always had an extreme soft spot for them. I've heard mixed things about pygmy cory's in a 5 gallon so i definitely won't go with them now due to even more negative feedback on that. I'll definitely look more into those plants and appreciate the suggestions for some floaters too.

Almost all of my plant experience is with amazon swords in my tank with a pair of angelfish that have been breeding on and off for 9 months now. I discovered that the amazon sword is one of the plants that angels prefer to lay eggs on so I stocked heavily with them. Unfortunately I've had swords that grow a few inches taller than my 5 gallon. I'll keep this thread posted with updates of the tank

jaymethy said:
Option 1,2 and 3 are all shoaling species, so you'd need 5-6 minimum of each species. So in total that would be 10 fish, which is too many for a 5 gallon.

If you really wanted you could keep 5 ember tetras OR 5 daninos alone, but that would be pushing it. IMO a 5 gallon is much too small for any type of corys, so I'd nix those. Your best is only one dwarf puffer, but make sure you do your research! I'm considering them for my next 10 gallon build, and apparently they have very specific diet needs.
That's what I was thinking, thank you for the confirmation. I'll continue to do my research on dwarf puffers so I can best replicate their natural habitat on such a small scale

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sparkling gouramis are also a good option. i always forget about them since they are not very common XD. i think you can do 3 of them in a 5g but not sure how difficult they are

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Tours? What are tours?

Sparklers aren't really any more difficult than bettas when you're not trying to keep them with other fish. I have three in my 5.5g and they are thriving, getting ready to make babies for me. Experienced breeders keep pairs in containers as small as one gallon - I don't recommend this but it's an example of their ability to thrive in small tanks.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CPDs would work in a 5 gallon. I had 6 emerald dwarf rasboras in a 6 gallon and they thrived. Very similar species and quite possibly a subspecies of one another...it’s debatable.
That being said, I moved the emerald dwarf rasboras to my 20 long and got more of them. I put a dwarf puffer in the 6 gallon and she (Ms. Blimpy) is thriving in there. She actually eats mysis shrimp and bloodworms from tweezers. Makes keeping the tank clean much easier. She also eats snails but she seems to prefer the shrimp.
I have my 6 gallon planted with Anubis and java moss. She loves the Java moss and would recommend that if you get a puffer.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom