Recommendations 29 Gallon Planted Tank Filter

Ari840
Hello I’m looking for recommendations for a 29 gallon planted aquarium fish tank filter. I have one betta, 5 neon tetras, 2 Assassin snails and a nerite snail. Thanks in advance!

Ps I’m on a budget so please not “top of the line”

Small Tanks
Well you're pretty lightly stocked an that's AWESOME. As long as you're keeping current stocking. You could go with any of the major 50G HOBs (Biowheel, aquaclear, etc) though personally I prefer multiple filters so if you could get a 30G Aquaclear or topfin + a 30G airpump + sponge filter you would be golden (the latter also lets you pull the sponge to instacycle a hospital or QT tank).

I would also highly recommend CRAIGSLIST + your local fish keeping group's facebook buy and sell page. I get stuff for free and cheap that way constantly.

Ari840
Awesome!! Thank you I will check them out!!

AquaticJ
Don’t go by filter gallon “rating”. Always go by gallons per hour. A hang on back filter should filter 8-10 X your tank gallons. So for a 29 gallon, the appropriate gallons per hour is 290. Therefore, an Aquaclear 70 would be a good choice.

Ari840
Thank you. I actually just purchased a Marineland Penguin 200. So I read that’s a 200 gph filter. Would adding a 100 be appropriate since I purchased the other (200) already?

AquaticJ
If you want to add a second one, sure. What I’d do is return that one and just buy a bigger filter. Also, if you go that route, get an Aquaclear instead. Much better filters.

Ari840
Ok. I’ll check into it. I ordered from someone on eBay and my luck, they don’t accept returns. I may just try to resell or use until I can upgrade

Thanks for the advice!

Discus-Tang
Just a little chime here, but if you have a 5 gallon tank on hand, that would be great, as betters do require slightly higher temperatures than neon tetras.

Ari840
Thanks for the tip. I keep my tank between 74-79 F. It’s going on 7 years and the neon tetras are loving life and 1 year for the betta. Thanks and I appreciate the advice

Mr. Kgnao
I wouldn't be too hung up on reaching some specific rate of turnover. The Betta won't appreciate tons of flow anyways. If you can resell the 200 and you can afford a larger filter that's great, but if you can't don't worry about it. Test your water parameters, if the 200 is keeping up with the load and your fish are happy then that's enough filtration for you.

Discus-Tang
Thanks for the tip. I keep my tank between 74-79 F. It’s going on 7 years and the neon tetras are loving life and 1 year for the betta. Thanks and I appreciate the advice
I hope you heed it

Ari840
So what if I got an aqua clear 50? They also are 200 gph butttt I was thinking about also adding a koralia nano circulation pump. Thoughts??

And what do you think about fluorite black for substrate??

Don’t go by filter gallon “rating”. Always go by gallons per hour. A hang on back filter should filter 8-10 X your tank gallons. So for a 29 gallon, the appropriate gallons per hour is 290. Therefore, an Aquaclear 70 would be a good choice.

I’m thinking of ordering that. Would it be too much for my betta?? Also, would I need a circulation pump while using that, since it is stronger?

I wouldn't be too hung up on reaching some specific rate of turnover. The Betta won't appreciate tons of flow anyways. If you can resell the 200 and you can afford a larger filter that's great, but if you can't don't worry about it. Test your water parameters, if the 200 is keeping up with the load and your fish are happy then that's enough filtration for you.

That’s what I’m worried about. Do you think I should go with the AquaClear 50 or 70?

Mr. Kgnao
If you're going to get an Aquaclear (I wouldn't if you already bought a different filter) I would go with the AC50 and add a sponge filter if you feel like you need more filtration.

I've never used Flourite Black, but I have tried Dark, I was pretty happy with it. The color does a good job at hiding the detritus at the bottom of the tank.

Ari840
Ok cool. I have a Marineland Penguin 200 now. I haven’t used yet. I heard flourite black is really good stuff so I think I’ll try. And I’ll prob keep my filter then thanks

Mr. Kgnao
If you still want the Aquaclear experience, you could just forget the super expensive cartridges Marineland wants you to buy and get some AC sponges to fill the HOB reservoir.

Ari840
If you still want the Aquaclear experience, you could just forget the super expensive cartridges Marineland wants you to buy and get some AC sponges to fill the HOB reservoir.

Yesssss that’s the advice I was seeking! Ty

RainBetta
Thank you. I actually just purchased a Marineland Penguin 200. So I read that’s a 200 gph filter. Would adding a 100 be appropriate since I purchased the other (200) already?
Since your stock is pretty light, I'd say there's no need.

Ari840
Since your stock is pretty light, I'd say there's no need.

Thank you. I do intend on getting a couple Cory’s and maybe a few more tetras. But nothing extreme.

RainBetta
Thank you. I do intend on getting a couple Cory’s and maybe a few more tetras. But nothing extreme.
Good idea! You could probably bump the neons up to 8. Cories are so fun!

tocandesu
Yesssss that’s the advice I was seeking! Ty

Make sure you get Aquaclear 70 sponges. They fit perfectly in the filter

Ari840
Good idea! You could probably bump the neons up to 8. Cories are so fun!

Oh cool I’ve never had them. How many Cory’s would you suggest?

Ari840
Make sure you get Aquaclear 70 sponges. They fit perfectly in the filter

You must have subliminal messaging capabilities. That was going to be a question of mine

Ari840
One thing, just sponges or the whole kit n caboodle?

Fashooga
One thing, just sponges or the whole kit n caboodle?
You can do what ever you want in the house. When I had my Marineland 350 running I had filter floss and sponges. Other times I had bio rings and filter floss...doesn't matter what you put in. You can cram the entire thing with bio rings, lava rocks or just sponges if you want to. The possibilities are endless...sort of...

Ari840
You can do what ever you want in the house. When I had my Marineland 350 running I had filter floss and sponges. Other times I had bio rings and filter floss...doesn't matter what you put in. You can cram the entire thing with bio rings, lava rocks or just sponges if you want to. The possibilities are endless...sort of...

Right on. I’m new to the whole diy experience. I’ve always used what “they” said to use haha so ty for the advice

Ari840
So what’s the deal with all this activated carbon stuff?

Mr. Kgnao
It pulls organic chemicals from the water, like tannins or medications. Sometimes you'll see people talk about Phenols but I feel like that's more relevant in marine aquariums. For what it's worth, I don't use it on a regular basis.

RainBetta
Oh cool I’ve never had them. How many Cory’s would you suggest?
Since you seem to be gearing toward a light stock, I'd say about 6-8 Pygmy cories would be nice

Ari840
Since you seem to be gearing toward a light stock, I'd say about 6-8 Pygmy cories would be nice

Thanks as soon as I get my tank cycled, I’ll be getting some!!

RainBetta
You should post when your tank is all setup!

Ari840
You should post when your tank is all setup!

I for sure will Just waiting on the substrate to arrive then I will be starting the beginnings of it all.

Ari840

Image1531062736.329049.jpg

It has arrived!! I’m stoked! You know what I’ll be doing all day lol

HORNET1
I use Eco-Complete in my tanks with a top layer of Black Diamond.
My plants love it.
Good Luck with your build

Ari840
I use Eco-Complete in my tanks with a top layer of black sand.
My plants love it.
Good Luck with your build

Thank you and awesome, I have read nothing but good about it so I’m excited to see the results!!!!

RainBetta
Ari840
Nice! That's what I'm using for my 29G! How many lbs did you buy?

40....quickly realizing I want at least another 20!! But I realized I can use the remaining substrate from my 12 gallon (which is 20++lbs). So I’m thinking it will be perfect!!!!

How many lbs did you use?

Ari840
Here’s a riddle for ya!! So I let my filter media from my other tank dry for the last 2 days, so there would hopefully be no traces of pest snails and their eggs lol. Anyway, I want to know if I could add this for beneficial bacteria in my new tank to cycle it faster?!

Tol
Here’s a riddle for ya!! So I let my filter media from my other tank dry for the last 2 days, so there would hopefully be no traces of pest snails and their eggs lol. Anyway, I want to know if I could add this for beneficial bacteria in my new tank to cycle it faster?!

My understanding is that it dies off without water once the media dries out. A short time out of water probably isn't a big deal but 2 days I would think would kill it all. You can add that media to the tank, but it probably won't do anything to help with the cycle at all.

HORNET1
So Sorry...Your dried filter media's BB is dead.

giphy-preview.gif

Ari840

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kobiashi3
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Charlie’s Dad