Recommend New Freshwater Plant

abbytherookiehuman

Hey guys so I've got a planted 31 gallon tank and I plan on putting shrimp in it.
So far it has a banana lily, Monte Carlo, two anubias Nana's, a java fern, some rotala indica, a Japanese sweet flag and some java moss with some duckweed floating around the top.
The anubias are attached to two pieces of Driftwood and the bottom of the tank is nice and colourful and will hopefully grow out to have a heavily planted look.
The thing is that none of these plants are all that tall and the top half of my tank is very bare.
Can anyone please recommend any larger/taller freshwater plants that are shrimp and Cory friendly or maybe a floating plant. Just anything to make the top half seem less boring
This is my tank so far
IMG_7862.JPG
IMG_7902.JPG
IMG_7899.JPG

abbytherookiehuman

Try some bacopa.

Upon reading about bacopa I have become suspicious of my "rotala"
Image1567751921.911601.jpg
Image1567751988.123175.jpg
Is this infact bacopa disguised and sold as rotala? Or is it rotala?

abbytherookiehuman

Hornwort,anacharis and westeria are all great for shrimp. My 15 gallon shrimp tank.View attachment 585765

Oooft that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Can you point out which one is which

86 ssinit

Lol that tank was a mess. Everything growing into each other. Here’s what I removed.
5763D28E-F036-47D3-93BF-7CF51714D016.jpegon the right bottom and top left is westeria. Behind the right westeria is hornwort also in middle. On the left below the westeria in anachris.

SeattleRoy

HI abbytherookiehuman

I find that to add visual interest to my tanks using plants with different leaf shapes, leaf sizes, and colors greatly improves the visual effect.

BTW, that does look like a Rotala indica; the leaf shape and color change vary with the light and water conditions.

KJBAUZjk9X0Iob_omjTbg7Mah1g21TdX2iRPGGRDnHQiqYrPhsRSF2uglqUnb9IMf4esknJ5HOhXQ38PttU=w662-h426-no.jpg

JessicaSwanlake

I second anacharis and water wisteria and would suggest water sprite. It's not as bushy, but shrimp seem to love it and it still gets pretty tall.

abbytherookiehuman

Lol that tank was a mess. Everything growing into each other. Here’s what I removed.View attachment 585821on the right bottom and top left is westeria. Behind the right westeria is hornwort also in middle. On the left below the westeria in anachris.

Are there any fish/shrimp in there?

HI abbytherookiehuman

KJBAUZjk9X0Iob_omjTbg7Mah1g21TdX2iRPGGRDnHQiqYrPhsRSF2uglqUnb9IMf4esknJ5HOhXQ38PttU=w662-h426-no.jpg

What are those plants in the middle and at the front on the left?

I'm hearing a lot of suggestions for bushy plants. Do shrimp prefer the bushy plants? Coz I was going for something more leafy but if they like bushy I can do bushy instead

86 ssinit

That tank is a plant tank. But there are shrimp in there. This is my shrimp tank. With a piece of wisteria out of my 125 that had some algae growing on it.
7122FE29-041C-41B6-9FF9-5C3776081283.jpeg They love algae.

SeattleRoy

Are there any fish/shrimp in there?

What are those plants in the middle and at the front on the left?

I'm hearing a lot of suggestions for bushy plants. Do shrimp prefer the bushy plants? Coz I was going for something more leafy but if they like bushy I can do bushy instead

HI abbytherookiehuman

That is Helanthium tenellum; changed from Echinodorus tenellus var tenellus / Pygmy Chain Sword a few years ago.

abbytherookiehuman

Ok that's two conflicting opinions
Can I get a deciding vote?

kallililly1973

Ok that's two conflicting opinions
Can I get a deciding vote?
Google is an amazing tool.

abbytherookiehuman

Vishaquatics

That's not bacopa and it's not rotala indica. It's rotala rotundifolia.

Bacopa looks much different, the leaves of caroliniana tend to be more triangular and the leaves of monnierI tend to be more ovular rather than circular like rotala.

It is not rotala indica because it would be much smaller if it was the true rotala indica (AKA ammania bonsai). Rotala indica is a hightech plant that is difficult to grow lowtech and is extremely small compared to bacopa and other rotalas.

It is an emersed form of rotala rotundifolia transitioning to it's submersed form. It'll likely get longer, thinner leaves as time goes on.

abbytherookiehuman

That's not bacopa and it's not rotala indica. It's rotala rotundifolia.

Bacopa looks much different, the leaves of caroliniana tend to be more triangular and the leaves of monnierI tend to be more ovular rather than circular like rotala.

It is not rotala indica because it would be much smaller if it was the true rotala indica (AKA ammania bonsai). Rotala indica is a hightech plant that is difficult to grow lowtech and is extremely small compared to bacopa and other rotalas.

It is an emersed form of rotala rotundifolia transitioning to it's submersed form. It'll likely get longer, thinner leaves as time goes on.

Oh wow ok. I thought rotundifolia had much thinner leaves and was more red/rust coloured

Vishaquatics

Oh wow ok. I thought rotundifolia had much thinner leaves and was more red/rust coloured

It does, but give it some time to transition from emersed to submersed form. When emersed, it has bright green round leaves

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
bored411

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom