Recommend Fish Count?

TGUTWO

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm a new aspiring-aquarist, and I've been doing some research on beginning a ten-gallon aquarium. I know about most of the things a beginner should know about, but I'm wondering about how many fish of specific species I can fit in the tank.

I was thinking a combination of plecos, fancy guppies, and cory cats. From what I understand they're compatible with each other. Can anyone recommend a number for each of these fish for the ten-gallon? Not looking to breed or anything. If they're not actually compatible, then if someone could bring that up, that would be nice too. Thanks in advance!

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, two points I'd flag up are 1. a 10g tank isn't big enough for any kind of plec, even the smaller species like bulldogs need more space. 2. If you're going to go with guppies make sure you go for all males, they're basically breeding machines so if you get a mixed group you'll be overrun with them in no time & males are much more colorful than females. In a 10g you'd probably get away 5 guppies & 4 to 5 Pygmy corys as long as you have a good filter & your maintenance regime is good. Hope this helps.

Puck44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? I recommend doing a fishless cycle and Someone on here can help you with that.
Plecos can sometime get up to 2 feet long (commen pleco) and Cory’s cats are very active fish and like to be in schools of 6 prefereably 8plus. Guppys might work but they are very active fish too so maybe not. Someone else can come on and help with stocking though. good luck!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The guppies would work but I’d leave everything else out. Even small plecos have huge bio loads and you’d be doing big water changes every few days.

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you limited to 10 gallons? Not a huge deal but you may find a 20 Long better for the stocking you want with corys and guppies.

A bristle nose pleco can be housed in smaller tanks but only 30 gallons +

You could also save a little room and go with male endlers instead of guppies...and welcome to fishlore.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know that you want guppies, but have you considered sparkling gouramis? Not sure they can be in a 10G, I've never had them before. With the guppies I would go up to 6-7 as the very MAXIMUM number. I would leave the cories out if I were you. Definitely DONT put a pleco in there. They are not suitable for a 10G tank. Here's some other stocking ideas:
- celestial pearl danios
- Harlequin rasboras
- smaller honey gouramis
- Female bettas

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Male bettas can also go in a 10.

You could fit 5 sparkling gourami in a 10 gallon tank.
Oh sorry I meant 3-5 female bettas! I agree with male bettas as well

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with dwarfpuffferlover, if you haven't bought the tank yet, then think about a bigger tank, it would give you so many more options.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seasoldier said:
Hi, two points I'd flag up are 1. a 10g tank isn't big enough for any kind of plec, even the smaller species like bulldogs need more space. 2. If you're going to go with guppies make sure you go for all males, they're basically breeding machines so if you get a mixed group you'll be overrun with them in no time & males are much more colorful than females. In a 10g you'd probably get away 5 guppies & 4 to 5 Pygmy corys as long as you have a good filter & your maintenance regime is good. Hope this helps.
No pygmy cories. They need at least a 15 gallon

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
RainBetta said:
Oh sorry I meant 3-5 female bettas! I agree with male bettas as well
A sorority wouldn’t work in a 10 gallon tank.

They need a 20 long minimum with 7+ females and a lot of heavy planting.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom