Recommend Fish Based On My Water/tank Parameters?

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of cycling my first tank (20 gallon high) and while waiting have been doing a lot of planning as far as stocking and reading up on needs of the different fish. I thought I had an idea of what I wanted, but I've confused myself and it seems hard to satisfy all of their individual requirements.

I'm hoping some of you could make suggestions for stocking my first tank. 20 Gallon high, pH has been consistently 7.8-8. It is not a planted tank, but I have a large soft/silk plant that is pretty dense, and soft silky grass-like plants, also densely packed, on the opposite side of the tank. I just want to make my fish happy

Some fish that I've been interested in (and I realize these are not all compatible which is part of my difficulty in deciding!): male Betta, CPD's, tiger barbs, corys, cardinal or neon tetra, male guppy, various gouramis.

Thank you!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Considering your pH, I'd encourage you to stick with live bearers. If you're really set on a community tank, I'd recommend less aggressive fish, such as cherry barbs with cories. No to the Betta (too many horror stories here, even with individual fish who lived peacefully with tankmates for many moons before going postal) and neons (unless you get wild caught or Florida bred fish). More robust gouramis that could handle this pH would be 3-spot and the various color morphs (blue, gold, opaline), but I wouldn't do more than one in a 20 gallon as a centerpiece.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
endlercollector said:
Considering your pH, I'd encourage you to stick with live bearers. If you're really set on a community tank, I'd recommend less aggressive fish, such as cherry barbs with cories. No to the Betta (too many horror stories here, even with individual fish who lived peacefully with tankmates for many moons before going postal) and neons (unless you get wild caught or Florida bred fish). More robust gouramis that could handle this pH would be 3-spot and the various color morphs (blue, gold, opaline), but I wouldn't do more than one in a 20 gallon as a centerpiece.
Hi! Thanks for your response - so maybe something like 3 male guppies, 1 gourami, and 5-6 cories? I really love dalmatian mollies but there seems to be controversy about whether they can be kept in freshwater. Do you have any experience with them?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fish_ninja said:
Hi! Thanks for your response - so maybe something like 3 male guppies, 1 gourami, and 5-6 cories? I really love dalmatian mollies but there seems to be controversy about whether they can be kept in freshwater. Do you have any experience with them?
I haven't kept Dalmatian mollies myself, but plenty of people keep them in hard, alkaline freshwater tanks. You could also add some salt to your tanks, but if you're keeping gouramis and cories, I wouldn't recommend it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom