Recommend A Fish To Eat Rainbow Fish Eggs

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
I've been finding boesemani rainbow fry in my tank the past few months. I've had a few suggestions of fish that might eat the eggs but I still can't decide:
Gourami (pearl)
Sparkiling gourami
Steel blue killifish
Yoyo loach
It's recommended to get a pair of killifish or sparkling gouramis but what if they breed and I'm left with fry, that'd defeat the whole purpose, and I read they can become aggressive when breeding. ..and gouramis and yoyos can be aggressive? I have boesemani rainbows, sterbai cories, neon and rummynose tetras. I wouldn't be able to get a group, as then I might be overstocked so hopefully I can get just one or a pair (but then they might breed) Thanks for any advice

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Scratch all of those, get a school of a larger cory. They clean up their own eggs really well, and my moms tank has bronzed. There've been thousands of eggs laid by danios, cries, and even snails that have been destroyed by them. Yhat being said, they wont go after fry, so I'd go with sparklers, since they seem to stick closer to structure much like the babies would

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
@Donovan Jones Thanks for your reply. So a larger cory? I must look them up, I didn't know I could get larger cories than sterbai cory. If I get sparkling gouramis, could I get two females or two males rather than male and female, to prevent them from breeding?

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I say larger I mean not pygmy or habrosus, as they tend to eat eggs far less. I'm not sure on the sparkling gourami, but I know they are hard to sex.

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
I've just looked up cories, I have sterbai and they grow 7cm, one that grows bigger is the emerald green, 8cm, but not much difference. Oh yes, I remember reading that about the sparkling gouramis. I'll call into fish shop and ask about them! thanks!

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
Maybe my cories eat a few, but I keep finding fry Actually, I don't know if is coincidental that my last guppy died just before I started finding fry, maybe they were eating the eggs/fry? ..or maybe the boesemanis were just at the breeding age at that stage. Would mollies, or petshop guy suggested swordtails.

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
From my experience, cories, angelfish, mollies, and some loaches. Or you can raise the fry and sell them.
Great, thanks! I think the safest bet is mollies. I would get a yoyo loach but I read they can be a bit aggressive. So I just have to decide whether to get one, or 2 or 3 but all females or males. Thanks

Bcarter1100

Reaction score
Great, thanks! I think the safest bet is mollies. I would get a yoyo loach but I read they can be a bit aggressive. So I just have to decide whether to get one, or 2 or 3 but all females or males. Thanks
Actually... I have had yoyo loaches my whole fish keeping career... they arent aggressive at all. The problem with yoyo loaches is they hide all day unless its feeding time. They do eat my blood fin tetra eggs so long as they fall to the bottom. But I would completely rely on them.

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
Actually... I have had yoyo loaches my whole fish keeping career... they arent aggressive at all. The problem with yoyo loaches is they hide all day unless its feeding time. They do eat my blood fin tetra eggs so long as they fall to the bottom. But I would completely rely on them.
Oh, ok...I'm so indecisive, I've been told that, but then I read elsewhere that they can be aggressive. I don't know where the boesemanis lay their eggs, that's the problem, must be behind plants at the glass, so would yoyo loach get into all the nooks and crannies to eat the eggs, or would mollies? Then I've just read mollies nibble at plants, I don't want them to eat my plants

Bcarter1100

Reaction score
Oh, ok...I'm so indecisive, I've been told that, but then I read elsewhere that they can be aggressive. I don't know where the boesemanis lay their eggs, that's the problem, must be behind plants at the glass, so would yoyo loach get into all the nooks and crannies to eat the eggs, or would mollies? Then I've just read mollies nibble at plants, I don't want them to eat my plants
Sorry for the late response. I've never had an aggressive yoyo. I've had them for over 15 years. Never aggressive.

I'm not sure about the molly eating plants thing. I'm not a huge expert on mollies because I tend to shy away from live bearing fish.

Miss Guppy

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. I've never had an aggressive yoyo. I've had them for over 15 years. Never aggressive.

I'm not sure about the molly eating plants thing. I'm not a huge expert on mollies because I tend to shy away from live bearing fish.
Thanks for reply. That's good to hear. I use aqadvisor.com just to see how I am on stocking etc, when I put in yoyo loach it says they're too aggressive for neon and rummynose tetras, and neon tetra may become food for them. Also, 3 are recommended, but I'd be overstocked if I got 3 though I also read it's ok to keep one. I'm just nervous about getting a fish, I don't want to stress my neons out and I also want to be sure they'll eat the eggs. Would the yoyo eat the fry too (though I'd hope he'd eat the eggs before they become fry).
Yeah, me too. I had male guppies, I'd want to get just males, do you think platies would eat eggs/fry, as I read they're a bit more peaceful and more hardy than mollies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom