recomended gph???

tony
I have 3 aquariums. a 55 gallon with a penguin bio-wheel 350, a 20 gallon with a penguin bio-wheel 200, and a 10 gallon with a penguin bio-wheel 150. I kno that the 20 gallon and the 10 gallon have plenty of filtration but I'm not sure about the 55g. how many times should a tank cycle through in an hour??? as of now my 55 gallon is cycling through 6.4 times per hour. is this enough??? the tank does not surrently have any fish in it but it will eventually be stocked to maximum capacity.

thank you

Butterfly
Usually you want to figure 10 x the gallons. So something like this 10 x 55 gallon =550gph
Carol

tony
ok so that means I should get another penguin 350 for my 55g

pepetj
HI Tony
That's exactly what I would suggest, get another Penguin 350, or you could go for another Penguin 200. Of course, the higher the rate, the best.

What are you planning for stocking?

Pepe
Santo Domingo

tony
I don't know yet. I want to get 2-3 angelfish and a small pleco. like a starry night pleco or a candy striped pleco. and maybe a dwarf cichlid. other than that I don't know

Tavel
you don't need as much turnover if you have a canister filter. HOB filters drop clean water right into the uptake...sounds efficient right? that's why they require such high flow rates.

COBettaCouple
I try to get at least 10 times the gallons, like Butterfly.

J J Indy
I feel like the more the better it will also reduce the need for frequent water changes

tony
ok so I will get another penguin 350... eventually. will I be ok for now with my penguin 350 on my 55g??

COBettaCouple
Yea, it can get by for a bit. I'd probably do a couple pwcs per week until the 2nd one is in, then go to 1 a week.

Butterfly
HOB filters drop clean water right into the uptake...sounds efficient right? that's why they require such high flow rates.
Actually if the HOB is doing it's job it's pushing water across the top layer of water, hitting the glass in front of it and circulating on around.
Carol

tony
Ok. I think I get what you're saying, but what's an HOB filter?

Butterfly
HOB = Hang On Back
Carol

J J Indy
Hang on Back

Butterfly
COBettaCouple
It means Hobbits on Burros!

Butterfly
It means Hobbits on Burros!
Oh not Hobbits on Burritos? You know how they like to eat I guess it depends on whether it's first breakfast or second whether their hungry enough to eat the whole Burro :-*
Carol

tony
Ok. Thank you, but I have an extension that brings the intake all the way to the bottom of the tank. Does that make it much more efficient?

Tavel
Ok. Thank you, but I have an extension that brings the intake all the way to the bottom of the tank. Does that make it much more efficient?

It's actually probably more efficient than most set-ups then.

I have a 100gph HOB on my 10 gallon (10:1 ratio), and a 150gph HOB on my 20 gallon (7.5:1 ratio). but only a 165gph CANISTER on my 75 gallon, that's only a 2.15:1 ratio.

tony
So does that mean that I don't need the extra filter because the penguin 350 that I have now is more efficient?

COBettaCouple
I'd still recommend at least 10gph per gallon.

tony
OK. Thank you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants