Reclusive Guppy?

1. KarenW

KarenW Valued Member Member

I just set up a 20 g tank with 3 platies, 1 dwarf gourami, and 2 female guppies. Also, I added a male guppy from a smaller tank that used to have just guppies. This almost 3 yo male guppy is the lone survivor and has been alone for about a year and a half. A few hours after moving him into the community tank, I found him just sitting on the bottom. I moved him back to the other tank and he acted fine. Is he just too old and set in his ways to tolerate others?

2. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

Woah hold on you cannot simply be tossing fish from one tank to another you have to acclimate it for about 15-20 mins before moving it to a different tank so it's best to acclimate him for about 25 mins and put him in the 20 g tank after a while he'll start swimming when he's adjusted to the new environment

3. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

He was more then likely nervous about his new surroundings.

It took my 3 guppies close to 4 days to adjust after a tank upgrade. And there were no other fish in there with them.

4. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

You said you just set up the 20G. Is it properly cycled?

5. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Yes, and with media from the male guppy's tank.

Okay, even if they are both from the same water source, the new tank cycled with the male guppy's media, and only a degree difference in water temp?

Okay. What was the behavior like while they adjusted?

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list the water parameters from both tanks?

It's fine not to acclimate if the temp is the same.

7. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

It should be normal active like how guppies are

8. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

They coward under some plants near the bottom most of the time. Although they would come out to eat.

Just an adjustment period. They were in a 10 gallon then got moved to a 36 gallon. After that they were all over the tank.

9. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Original tank was 0 ammonia, 0 nitites, and nitrates were high, like close to 80, which is bad, I know. (I have remedied that, but had been battling it for a while).

New tank was .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrate.

Getting ready to do a 25% water change in the new tank.

Thanks!

10. el337

Since he was going from a tank with high nitrates to a tank with barely any (and with a trace of ammonia), it definitely would have affected him. In this case, you would have wanted to acclimate him slowly to the new tank so he gets used to the different water parameters.

11. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Thanks so much! I mistakenly thought going from lesser quality to higher quality would be fine. I am waiting for new plants, about 10 of them, coming in next few days. Should I wait until those are planted and making sure the tank is stabilized afterward to move him back?

12. el337

It would seem logical that water with lower nitrates wouldn't affect him but it's the drastic drop that may have shocked him since he has been accustomed to the higher nitrates.

You'll be fine adding him back to the community tank, just acclimate him slowly by placing him in a bucket of half his old water and then adding a 1/2 cup of the new tank water every 10 minutes or so for up to 2 hours. You could also drip acclimate. OR you could do a few smaller water changes in his old tank so that the nitrates are gradually lowered, matching the parameters of the community tank.

13. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Thanks. I am going to get his tank back in shape with him in it to match parameters. Going to need that tank for babies possibly since one of the platies we bought last week is giving birth! LOL