Recently My Fish Have Been Going To The Top Of The Tank As If To Breath.

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Recently my fish have been going to the top of the tank as if to breath.
My water numbers are good and them temp is not that bad.

Any suggestions?

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Two filters a Aquaclear 110 and a HW-302
The filters do the circulation no other aeration.
The tank has been like this for a few months (not them going to the surface, but this equipment)
Thank you

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ill assume the 110 outlet is at least an inch above the surface. Could be fungal. Any discoloration or sagging of the gills?

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The outlet is not near the tank at all
I think the gills are ok. here is the best pic I can take Imgur

I just now did a 30% water change just in case.

Thank you

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes, lights were left on when we were away fish sitter was supposed to turn it off. Havent had a chance to clean it all off yet

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ghurty said:
The outlet is not near the tank at all
I think the gills are ok. here is the best pic I can take Imgur

I just now did a 30% water change just in case.

Thank you
The outlet of your 110 HOB filter (not the electrical).

No signs of fungus that I can see. The algae should be producing more than enough oxygen even without surface agitation. Someone chime in here with another idea....

ghurty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will do the water test when I get back home. We only had a digital one in there before and it was reading 75.6. The water felt very warm so I turned off the heaters and my wife went to get an non digital thermometer. A few hours later when she put in the analog thermometer in, the digital one was reading 66.6 and the analog was reading 81 or so. Imgur I wonder if that had something to do with it

So my water test:
Ammonia somewhere between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I took both the digital and analog thermometer into a tub and raised it until the digital was reading 75.6 the analog read 88.
I just dont know which is correct and which is wrong.
TY

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have never witnessed an analog thermometer misreading. If the water feels warm to the touch, it's in the 80s, not 60s. Please do not just turn your heater off though, consistent temperatures are more important than anything. If it is too high you can lower it slowly. What lives in the tank? I assume they are tropical fish that need heat, so 60s is too low.

What is the ph?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is my understanding that warmer water contains less oxygen, so maybe that is the issue? I too would go with the analog over the digital thermometer- so your tank is super warm! I might unplug your heater (the tank will cool slowly enough) and test it in a bucket of water. I assume the heater is not set for 88 degrees - so has it broken? Put the heater in a bucket, set it, then in a couple of hours use the analog thermometer to check the temperature.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the water feels warm, don't change temp. Constiancy is good. Higher temps mean that the water has less diffused oxygen in the water. You can help this with an airstone. Also, you said you had really bad algae, right? I've heard of this happening in ponds and such, sometimes in fish tanks, where there is an algae bloom. Eventually, the algae and microorganisms die and the decomposition process uses up the oxygen. This is called eutrophication, I believe.

tetratetris

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd try and just put an airstone in. I not the expert here though and not really sure what else is going on in this thread. Hope it improves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom