Recently got given a very weird set-up of fish and need to know compatibility

mikerox29

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,

I was recently given a 90L tank set-up for free by one of my friends but the catch was that I had to take all the fish with it,
Can you guys give me some advice on what can stay and what needs to go?

- 2 silver dollars
- 1 angelfish
- 1 mollie
- 1 swordtail
- 2 guppys
- 3 black widow tetras

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You should rehome the silver dollars, angelfish, and molly should be rehomed.

The tetras need to be upped to a school of six as well.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow, my eyes must be going bad. I read 90g tank and was wondering why all the suggestions to re home fish. Then I reread and saw the L. Yes they would work in a 200L tank. Guppies need to be in a school also.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dom90 said:
Wow, my eyes must be going bad. I read 90g tank and was wondering why all the suggestions to re home fish. Then I reread and saw the L. Yes they would work in a 200L tank. Guppies need to be in a school also.
Most of the fish would work, but not the silver dollars. They get pretty large and are a schooling fish.

Guppies also aren't a schooling fish. They can be social, but they don't need a school.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LiterallyHydro said:
Most of the fish would work, but not the silver dollars. They get pretty large and are a schooling fish.

Guppies also aren't a schooling fish. They can be social, but they don't need a school.
Learn something new everyday... I'd get a couple guppies as part of my own stocking plan but they may end up being another fish's dinner.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dom90 said:
Guppies need to be in a school also.
No they don't, imo. Mine did better though when I got him a buddy. He kept bothering my danio until I got him someone to hang out with.

To the OP, I would up the tetras to six, rehome the swordtails, rehome the silver dollars, and rehome the angelfish.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BornThisWayBettas said:
No they don't, imo. Mine did better though when I got him a buddy. He kept bothering my danio until I got him someone to hang out with.

To the OP, I would up the tetras to six, rehome the swordtails, rehome the silver dollars, and rehome the angelfish.
Don't forget, rehome the molly also

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are the dimensions of the 200 liter (52 gallon)?
There are lots of species of silver dollars, I believe they are often sold as each other. Some get big and some don't. Just to be safe I'd rehome them.

OP
M

mikerox29

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have any idea of what size tank I would need to keep the angel fish. It is the most generic (cheapest) kind available at my LFS. Would I better with a high tank or a long tank?

OP
M

mikerox29

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
haha He is only small at the moment so I have time to get another tank for him because I do like him. How do angelfish fair in groups?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mikerox29 said:
haha He is only small at the moment so I have time to get another tank for him because I do like him. How do angelfish fair in groups?
If they are kept in an odd number, the rest may pair and bully the odd one out to death.
Also, a large group would require a very large tank, imo over 100g.

New Threads