Recently Bought An Aquarium Light And My Fish Seem To Hate It....

Morgan K

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just within this past week I’ve bought a light from Nicrew off Amazon to put on top of my 20 gallon tank to give my fish some Loren light. The problem is they seem to hate it! The second I turn on the light most of them scramble to hide beneath some plants or under some of the decorations. Is the light too bright or do they just have to get used to it?

Attachments

Morgan K

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adding onto that, when I turn the light off they become more active. Once the light is on they either freak out and go to hide or stay inactive at the bottom of the tank.

r15u5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Morgan K said:
Is the light too bright or do they just have to get used to it?
Hi Morgan K ! Maybe a bit of both.. what I might do is get a light sheet or blanked and drape it over the top of the tank and hold it in place with some scotch tape so that only a percentage of the light comes through and see how your fish react. If they start coming out, keep the cover there for a while and let them adjust. Then a few days down remove and see what their reaction is.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That’s a pretty empty tank. Add some more cover and they’ll be more comfortable

r15u5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
(after thought)
... and with a high intensity you will be battling algae soon. Sometimes for that all you need is a timer to limit light cycles, but just wanted to point that out if you are weighing on returning the light and finding another or keeping.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would add some plants to the tank. Not only will they provide some shelter for your fish, but it looks like a natural environment (for you and for them) plus there are plenty of health benefits to having live plants in an aquarium. So great all round.

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your tank looks a little empty, and the fish may be getting worried that they don’t have a place to hide when the lights turn on. I know that it sounds counterintuitive, but the more hiding places you give them, the less they will hide! They are also probably not used to it, but that’s normal and they should be fine soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom