Recently added 2 rainbow gobie to my 10 gallons but their behavior is worrying me

ameliarouge

I need help , I'm new with gobie yesterday I bought 2 rainbow gobies for my 20 gallon still cycling , since they were small I added them to my 10 gallons wich is 2 years old wich only have 3 guppies I'm not a begginer in aquarophilie but it's the first time I'm trying gobie . so i put my hob filter to maximum current and added them after a night of drop acclimatation , since they are in water , 1 is swimming around and pecking is head out of the water , it really freak me out and I heard they sometime to that but im not sure it's normal . the other one went to hide and did'nt move much since then . it's only been a couple hours since they are in the tank and I'm really worrying . my water parameters are really good not amonia nearly 0 nitrite nitrate , ph 7,5 I have a lot of algae in my tank for them and bought algae pellet and already have blood worm and daphinia for them ... do you think their comportement are normal ? especially for the one that isn't moving much and stay hidden ?

Pfrozen

rainbow gobies are not beginner fish and definitely shouldn't be kept in a cycling tank... even experienced fishkeepers have trouble with stiphodon sp., same story with pretty much all varieties

they require well-matured tanks because they graze on biofilm and algae, much like otocinclus. I would probably say that the otos are easier to be perfectly honest

I would return them and look at buying something like that when you have a proper setup. Not trying to give you a hard time, just being honest. There is very little chance that they will survive

ameliarouge

rainbow gobies are not beginner fish and definitely shouldn't be kept in a cycling tank... even experienced fishkeepers have trouble with stiphodon sp., same story with pretty much all varieties

they require well-matured tanks because they graze on biofilm and algae, much like otocinclus. I would probably say that the otos are easier to be perfectly honest

I would return them and look at buying something like that when you have a proper setup. Not trying to give you a hard time, just being honest. There is very little chance that they will survive
the 10 gallon tank is 2 years old and have plenty of biofilm algea current and plants

Pfrozen

the 10 gallon tank is 2 years old and have plenty of biofilm algea current and plants

Oh. Sorry about that. They are better off in the 10g quite honestly. Its too small for them but they won't survive in a new tank. They might be okay in there until your 20g matures but make sure to check the gender.. I don't think 2 males will work out in a small space

ameliarouge

Oh. Sorry about that. They are better off in the 10g quite honestly. Its too small for them but they won't survive in a new tank. They might be okay in there until your 20g matures but make sure to check the gender.. I don't think 2 males will work out in a small space
they are one male and one female :) but the male is currently hiding and not really moving while the female is active and pecking out of the water , is it normal ?

Pfrozen

they are one male and one female :) but the male is currently hiding and not really moving while the female is active and pecking out of the water , is it normal ?

Hard to say after just a day. The male might be making burrows or simply adjusting to his new environment. If your 10g tank is mature and your params are within the range for those guys then you should be good. Just keep in mind that they are very sensitive and tend to die for seemingly no reason. Stiphodon are one of those fish where pH and hardness have to be within range to be successful. If all goes well there's no reason why you can't do an extended quarantine in there, just have plans to move them to the 20 once you're able to do so. Bacter AE is a good product for speeding up biofilm growth if you wanna go that route

GlennO

Just read that they will eat BGA. Never heard of a fish eating BGA.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ameliarouge
Replies
Views
nikkimay456
Replies
Views
primerowan
  • Question
  • somedudewithatank