Recently acquired julies

nlokitan

Reaction score
So I just got these guys offline and when I got them their water smelt really bad They looked unhealthy and where laying on their side I have had them since Wednesday and I hadn’t seen any casualties until today I woke up this morning they where all fine but now all of a sudden one of them has a bent spine! What could this be? Should I be worried about the other fish in the tank ?

Attachments

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are you sure that was something you just didn't notice when you put them in the tank? Usually a bent spine is a birth defect. They're born with deformities and grow into them, could be due to inbreeding. It could be something like fish TB, which is viral and incurable...but....your other fish shouldn't 'catch' a bent spine. If you start noticing the same thing with the others, I would guess something viral is going on. Or maybe even bacterial but...in that case it would surely be internal bacterial....and it's likely affecting an organ that is vital.....if their spine is reacting in such a way....

I'm sorry about that, that's actually frustrating and I would be pretty upset with the sender...Do you know how long the cories were en route? how long they were in the bag? that might give some incling into why they're acting sickly...they mightve been fine in their initial tanks, If the transport was hard on them though, that might be a cause for the smell and ill looking fish.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Usually a bent spine is a birth defect (as stated above) fish don’t just “get” a bent spine over night. The shipping process was probably very hard and caused a bacterial infection, you mentioned the bag smelt bad so were there any ammonia absorber pads? Or any medications making the water blue or yellow? It could very well be TB which can be transmitted to humans, be sure to wash your hands before and after do anything in your aquariums. I always take the safety precaution just in case

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom