Recent Water Change

1. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Hi i did a water change on Friday and am noticing my water has become slightly cloudy on both my 55 and my 8.8. I added my water conditioner and all. My parameters in both tanks are spot on. Could it be that i changed my filters a day later? My 55 has a minor algae bloom going on so i have been trying to cut down on the light time and my 8.8 recently had 3 guppies in it 2 female and 1 male that gave birth to about 30 fry. The 3 adult guppies are currently in a 10 gallon that is also established with good water parameters..

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Having changed your filter media would have definitely contributed to the cloudiness as you most likely threw out your cycle, sorry to say. The beneficial bacteria is housed in your filter media so you only need to rinse the media in old tank water with each water change. What are your water parameters on both tanks?

3. OP
    OP
    THE HABITAT

They are HOB filters and both have the media cage in which the filter is inserted into...This is the first time in a little while i have seen some cloudy waters. I will give it another couple days and see how it looks..All the fish are still very active.. My water parameters are
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 20

4. el337

I'd test the parameters on both tanks daily to make sure you don't hit a cycle bump. So far, it doesn't appear you have one but I'd still keep watch since you did change the media.

Edit: Did you mean 20 nitrates? I'm guessing you switched the two around.

5. OP
    OP
    THE HABITAT

yes sorry i did mix the 2 up...I will keep a watch on them...Thanks

6. OP
    OP
    THE HABITAT

update: water in the 55 and 8.8 are still a little cloudy... Just tested both and ammonia-0 nitrite 0 and nitrate is 20 on both tanks is it possible they are still building back the cycle as i think i messed up and changed the filters and possibly sent them both into a mini-cycle...also another question...instead of changing the filter inserts ive seen people rinsing them in the tank water ( i assume in a bucket ) and reinserting them as to keep as much BB as possible? or do i just swish the filters around right in the tank? Thanks!!

7. el337

I don't think you've hit a mini cycle since you don't have any ammonia or nitrites... not yet anyway.

Yes, just take a bucket of removed tank water and swish your media around in there. Don't rinse them in the tank itself. You don't want the debris/detritus settling into the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    THE HABITAT

when u say media your talking about the filter cartridges correct....but i should leave the plastic frame that holds the filter insert in my filter correct....these are HOB filters just to clarify....Thanks

9. el337

Yes, the filter cartridge or anything you have inside the filter itself that you use for mechanical/bio filtration.

10. OP
    OP
    THE HABITAT

i appreciate the speedy replies.. 1 last thing...if all 3 of my tanks are established ( Cycled ) is it ok to clean the media in the same bucket of tank water say if i took some from my 55 can i clean the filter on my 8.8 in the same bucket

11. OP
    OP
    THE HABITAT

and the sponge from my 10 seeing it is an Aquaclear hob filter system

12. el337

Yes, that would be fine.