Receiving shipments Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bubblynutter, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Hi all,

For those that have been following my debacles over the last week and a bit, you would know that I am expecting a shipment of live plants today.
    I've checked the tracking number just now, and the package is en route locally to my house (just don't know where I am in the delivery route!).

My question is this:

In the package are 4 new clown loaches (to bring my juvenile brood to 8). How long can I keep the loaches in the bag/s for?

The reason I ask is that I want to give my new plants a chance to bring down the ammonia levels (about 4 hours), then introduce the loaches. And yes, I realise I should have let the tanks finish cycling before buying loaches, but I ordered these before I realised how bad my tank was going to mini-cycle! :;fru

Thanks for all your suggestions! ;)

End note: And for those of you with concerns, the loaches are all going into my 180g arriving mid-april. Right now they are all very small and loving the lightly stocked 46g.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If the loaches are coming in the mail I personally wouldn't leave them in the bag any longer than I had to. They need lots of oxygen and are large waste producers which can spell disaster in a bag.
    The plants most likely won't bring the ammonia down in four hours. They may make a dent in it over night but it probably won't be anything fast.
    Glad to know their going into a larger tank. Good job!
    Keep us posted.
    Carol

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

8 Clowns in a 46gal!!! Have fun catching those amongst the plants when your 180gal arrives!!

When the Loaches arrive float the bag in the tank they are intended to go into so that temperature is maintained. Depending on thier size, the amount of water in thier bag & how long they have been in the bag, they could be alright for anything form 1-6hrs. It's a bit hit & miss though because of the variables. Test the water in thier bag for ammonia levels. If they have been in there for a fair while, the ammonia in the bag may be just as high as what is in the tank. If the ammonia levels are almost as high as what's in the tank I would pour them & the water they came in into a bucket & start drip acclimating them to thier intended tank water. By the time that is done, the ammonia levels should have come down a bit in the main tank. Probably wise to do a water change on the main tank before you start the drip acclimatisation to. A 25% change should not effect the cycle too badly & will help get those ammonia levels down a bit for the fishes sake.

Remember to post pics once you have the plants in. :)

4. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks for the advice guys.

The reason I was going down the ~4hrs path was due to this really interesting article Nutter PM'd me -  

I am so excited to get all these new plants, and my new fin babies! The only problem is figuring out if I put ALL the new plants in the 46g to speed things up in there, or spread them out over both tanks...? :D

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I've seen the article before and it is very interesting.
    New plants and fish babies are always exciting and I'm very partial to Loaches especially Clown Loaches.
    what kind of plants did you order? Keep us posted and photos are always welcome.
    carol

6. Nutter

I would just put the plants in the places that you want them to stay & rely on water changes to bring down the ammonia levels quickly. You should note that that article states that the plants were place into pretty low concentrations of ammonia (0.25mg/l). Those plants were probably not young newly transported plants either. They were probably full grown healthy specimens that would have a much higher demand for nitrogen than the plants you are about to recieve. You plants will help with the ammonia but it will take them a little while to settle i & get to work. Overnight as suggested by Butterfly they will make a difference but not likely in just 4hrs.

7. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks Carol!

Plants listed here - Ordered plants today!

I am very partial to clowns as well; I have had some many times over the last few years, but am only just learning how to keep them WELL!! I love my babies, especially when they 'clown around'... One of mine gave me the dreaded heart attack 2 nights ago, which I know you can relate to! :;laughing

Everyone will have to suffer in agony with me, while I wait out the day at work, anxious to get home!! The worst part is, I have a dance class at 7pm tonight, so it's going to be a mad rush trying to get everything sorted when I get home from work (about 6pm!!) :;smack

8. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Bugger. I thought it was too good of a 'quick fix'. The pwc don't seem to have been helping any so far, which says to me the ammonia level is probably higher than 8.0ppm, and they may have been making a difference but not to bring it to a measurable level yet. :eek:

Hopefully I will see some change tomorrow night, and I will acclimate my loachies VERY slowly to ensure no additional stress. Will also pick up some stress coat today during my lunch break, as I have run out...
    Good ol' trusty Prime will have to see me through this horrible ammonia spike!

9. Nutter

Don't race through getting the plants planted properly. Just remove them from the packaging & leave them floating in the tank. That way you save some time tonight, they can start doing thier job & you can enjoy planting them when you have time to fiddle about & get everything just the way you want it. They will be fine floating around until the weekend.

PS: We arn't suffering. Your quite a pleasant person to deal with & I find myself quite looking forward to your tank being fully set up so I can see the pics. :) I'll be watching your blog expecting those pics on the weekend. :)

10. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks Graeme! You always give great advice, and I find myself checking out other threads I've seen you post on just to learn something new!

Photos will be guaranteed, as I got a new phone this week with a 5MP camera (still can't find that digi camera charger!!!). Will take step by step pictures, so you all get SICK of my progress! :giggle:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice