Receiving fish in the mail today. Any recommendations?

Frank the Fish guy

I am receiving 2 killies in the mail today, and they were shipped Monday 10:00 am. Should arrive today according to tracking.

Their home is ready and water is mature. I have kept killies and raised them before, but this is the first time I am getting fish in the mail from a private breeder.

Any recommendations on how to treat them when they arrive?

Fish are a pair of
Fundulopanchax gardneri

Thanks!

julien0101

Acclimating fish in the mail is basically similar within different species.

You float the bag in your tank to make sure that the temperature matches, then you get a fish bucket or container and pour the bag water and the fish into it. Get a tube and slowly transfer tank water into the container ( usually use drip acclimation ), this is to make the fish comfortable to your water conditions such as ph and hardness. After the water level triples, your fish should be good to go

SnookusFish

Well Known
You should not drip acclimate, you should temp acclimate and then pour the bag into a net and put the fish straight into your tank. If the built up ammonia in the bag from 2 days of shipping comes in contact with oxygen it can be lethal. Killifish are hardy fish anyway and they will be fine, plop and drop :)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
When I get fish in the mail I just plop and drop. Gotta get them out of the water as fast as possible.

Joshaeus

Well Known
SnookusFish said:
You should not drip acclimate, you should temp acclimate and then pour the bag into a net and put the fish straight into your tank. If the built up ammonia in the bag from 2 days of shipping comes in contact with oxygen it can be lethal. Killifish are hardy fish anyway and they will be fine, plop and drop :)
The ammonia problem can easily be resolved by simply adding some prime or some other ammonia neutralizing chemical to the acclimation water. While a simple temperature acclimation would likely work for highly resilient gardneri killies, some other fish (Farlowella catfish, halfbeaks, many invertebrates, etc) would likely die if you tried such a sudden transition.

OP
Frank the Fish guy

Frank the Fish guy

Thanks all! I took a middle ground to ya'lls advice and fish are in their new home successfully!

Water temps were about the same, so didn't float the bags.

Fish looked sleepy in their bags. I opened their bag and immediately added an equal amount of my tank water. Fish woke up and became active. It appeared they liked the new water and oxygen. After a few minutes I dumped their bag water out and put them in their tank. They are happy and active in their new home.

Here they are

And just added a few drops of prime to the tank.

faydout

Well Known
Joshaeus said:
The ammonia problem can easily be resolved by simply adding some prime or some other ammonia neutralizing chemical to the acclimation water.
The last fish I got in the mail, I tested for ammonia in the water. I got 4PPM ammonia after 48 hours in the mail. Prime is able to neutralize 1PPM combined nitrite and ammonia.

Joshaeus

Well Known
faydout said:
The last fish I got in the mail, I tested for ammonia in the water. I got 4PPM ammonia after 48 hours in the mail. Prime is able to neutralize 1PPM combined nitrite and ammonia.
Regarding prime, seachem itself says; "If your ammonia or nitrite levels are above 2 ppm, you can safely use up to 5 x the recommended amount."

New Threads