Rearranging stock between tanks Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jeffcameron, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. Jeffcameron

    Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

    I have some questions related to rearranging stock and tanks.

    I have just been given a 4 foot tank off a mate who broke up with his girlfriend and selling their house. He wanted someone who’d take care of his 3 year old Cichlids properly. It has a Green Terror and Blue Acara in it. I also have an 85G 5 foot tank that currently houses 4 Rainbows, 1 Opaline Gourami, and 4 Coreys but two Rainbows have a bacterial or fungal infection that I’m trying to get under control so have been treating the whole tank (Tri-Phos...something or other tablets for fungus). I also have a 20G tall with an Angel, Opaline Gourami and BN Pleco.

    My plan is to swap the fish in the 4 and 5 foot tanks and also add the fish from the 20G to the 4 foot tank so I can use it as a quarantine tank to properly treat the rainbows and use for quarantine for future fish. I want to ensure I minimise stress and don’t infect the Acara and GT when moving them to the 5 foot tank.

    I hope this makes sense. Please ask questions if I’ve not explained myself properly. All of my tanks are cycled but the 5 foot tank is still fairly new (2months). 4 foot tank is cycled but has very high nitrates due to infrequent water changes but that will be rectified when I drain for transport and then refill.

    I guess my concerns are will the filter or décor of my 5 foot tank potentially carry whatever my rainbows have? Can I just swap all the fish without also swapping water if I acclimatise them properly? Will a 50% water change on the 5 foot tank be enough to reduce the amount of medication in the tank for the GT and Blue Acara?

    Sorry for the long blurb.
     
  2. outlaw

    outlaw Well Known Member Member

    I would wait until the fish are over their illness, being sick they are already stressed. You don't want to stress them more with a move. Once their treatment is done, I would run some carbon in the filter for a couple weeks to clear out the meds and do partial changes.

    Once the tank is healthy again, I would do the transfers.
     
  3. Zenial

    Zenial Valued Member Member

    It would be awesome if you could find out the name of the disease your rainbows have. That way you can tell how contagious it is, which other fish can contract it, treatments etc. Knowledge is power.

    Agreed, it is rather tricky to swap your tanks around... best plan is to wait it out, be medication free and several water changes later.

    Best of luck!
     
  4. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

    Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

    Thanks Outlaw and Zennie. That does make sense. I'm having trouble working out what it wrong with the rainbows. Don't seem to be responding well to anti-fungal meds so will have to try anti-biotics next. I just thought that would be better done in a smaller tank rather than treating my whole 85G.
    I'm guessing it's somewhat contagious because only 1 of 4 rainbows had it at first and now two do. What about moving my angel, BN and Gourami from the 20G into the 85G and treating the rainbows in the 20G? I guess I run the risk of potentially infecting the Angel and Gourami though if what ever they have is lurking in the tank somehwere?

    I wish I had quarantined to begin with!!!
     
  5. outlaw

    outlaw Well Known Member Member

    Is there any physical signs on the fish that you might be able to take a picture of. Some of the members here might have dealt with it before or have seen it and can tell you how contagious or how to treat it.

    It would be nice to treat in the 20g but with not knowing what you are fighting and the stresses already on the sick fish. I wouldn't risk it. Once you know what your up against, I would say to then make your decision.

    Good Luck!
     
  6. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

    Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

    Thanks Outlaw. I have tried to identify on this site. Here's the link.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...t-dramas-my-new-85g-fungas-other-disease.html
    I got a few suggestions but nothing definite.
     
  7. OP
    OP
    Jeffcameron

    Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

    Just an update of what I've decided to do...

    My mates tank turns out to be a 3foot 35G tank so it's a bit smaller than I thought. I'm not going to move the Green Terror or Blue Acara into my 85G tank untill I've sorted out the problems fully in the 85G tank. I then will probably move all of my current stock from my 85G and 20G into the 35G (consisting of 4 Rainbows, 2 Gouramis, 1 Angel, 4 Coreys and a BN) and put the two Cichlids in the 85G. That way I'll have the 20G as a spare quarantine.

    This will all take time though.
     
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  8. outlaw

    outlaw Well Known Member Member

    Sounds like a plan.
     




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice