Rearranging Fish ?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Cricket lynn mclean, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mcleanWell Known MemberMember

Hi y'all. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 angels, 6 cardinal tetras and 4 panda cats. In my 29 gallon tank I have 1 Molly, 5 Platties and 3 emerald Cory cats. The Platties enjoyed life more without the catfish. Do you think it would be ok to add the three green Cory's to the 55 gallon tank. Also do you think a male betta could be happy in either of these tanks? Thank you❤

2. ark_fish

ark_fishValued MemberMember

adding the emerald cory cats to the 55 gallon should be fine. Your stocking seems alright and definitely would be ok with 3 more fish but I'm not sure how good the angles go with cardinal tetras when the angles are larger but they could be alright. I'm not sure how well the male betta would live in either tank (I've never kept a betta) but a female would be fine in either tank. A male betta would probably be to fin nippy in the angle tank but the 29 gall should be all good. Good Luck!:)

3. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Thank you. Yeah the Angels aren't being too friendly in there with the tetras. Bad advice at the pet store. Was an lfs so I trusted. I will have to do some more rearranging :/ think I could get a 10 gallon for the tetras and 1 betta?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't. Cardinals need larger than 10 gallons, and I would not put a betta of any kind in a 10 gallon long term with other fish. FYI, female bettas can be just as territorial and aggressive as males. Sometimes even more so.

5. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

So what about the cardinals in with the platties? In the 29 gallon tank . And all the cats in the 55 with the angels?

6. ark_fish

ark_fishValued MemberMember

that seems good to me

7. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Aggression wise you should be fine, but you have some temperature compatibility problems and school size issues. Any Cory needs to be in a school of at least 6 if not more with the same species. Pandas particularly are very picky on who they school with. Pandas also need cooler temps than the Angels. Not sure on temp for the Emeralds. I don't know much at all about Platies. Never cared for them.

8. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Cardinals are fine with angels, if they are adult. A full sized angel will eat a very young cardinal, but it takes the extremes. If your angels are 2 years old and 6 inches high, you have an issue. Otherwise, you and they are good. I would put the emeralds in the South American tank (they are South American...).

Corydoras panda comes from temps of 20-25. Angels from 24-30. They cross over nicely, and have no temp problem.

The platies and mollies are Mexican fish originally, and like both harder water and each other's company. All your other fish are softwater species, from rainforests.

In one tank, there is a strong chance the angels will pick the fins off a Betta. In the other, the mollies and platies may grab a few meals off the 'fin dining' establishment. I have often had Bettas live long happy lives in communities, but only if they had shorter fins and could handle themselves. A long finned betta is a moving buffet.

9. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Lol. I love platties :) the pandas And the emeralds seemed to quite good. They were in the same tank for quarantine and they hung together pretty well. 1 green hung with the pandas more than his own :) the water at my house is always around 80. I'm in Phoenix and even the goldfish deal with 80 :/ I'm open to suggestions tho. Right now I have (2) 5.5 gallon tanks with a betta each (and 1 shrimp in one) the 29 And the 55 as well as 1 30 with a black moor. If anyone is up for advice :)

So you're saying to leave it as is? The greens with the platties and the Angels with the tetras and pandas?

Thank you all for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
  10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Nope, I said :"I would put the emeralds in the South American tank (they are South American...)."

11. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

My angels will eat little cardinals. That may become a problem in the future. The corys would do fine in sure. My angels pay them no mind. I would up the corys a bit tho. 10 would work nice in the 55.

12. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Sorry gotcha now ;)

Thank you all. I have moved the greens to the 55 gallon tank. They are pretty active there but they hang with the pandas quite a bit as well. The pandas are a bit more chill :)

Thank you. The smallest cardinal is an inch and then bigger so they may be big enough yeah?

I think the Angels may be interested in breeding. They are cleaning the snot out of an annubias plant in the corner and I'm pretty sure I can see breeding tubes. Right now they are pretty ticked at anyone including the cats who come around that third of the tank :') it's pretty entertaining to watch. Breeding success isn't likely with the cats is it? Screenshot_2017-07-23-10-32-15-1.pngScreenshot_2017-07-23-10-39-42-1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
  13. Dave125g

Actually they protect the eggs and fry until the fry get brave enough to go exploring. If there experienced parents, that is.

14. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

I think this would be their first time parenting. What do you think? Breeding tubes? 0723171223-1.jpg0723171225d-1.jpg0723171224b-1.jpg0723171218a-1.jpg

They seem to be taking this very seriously :')

15. Dave125g

Definitely breeding tubes. Some angels got it right away others take a few spawns , but they eventually get good at it. Here's a shot of my pair spawning. 0c0552bc31984a32c7bcef38989494fa.jpg

16. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

They are beautiful ! So do you think mine will still breed with the catfish annoying them in the tank? I was worried they would be too stressed.

17. Dave125g

Mine do, with 12 corys 3 rams 25 tetras, a snakeskin gourami, 6 Otto cats, and 3 SAEs. Yours may feel too much stress and eat the eggs, but I doubt it. You may get a successful spawn.

18. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Thanks so much Dave <3

19. Dave125g

Your welcome good luck.

20. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Aaaaaa!!! They did it! Quick anything I should know?? 0723172111a-1.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice