Reappearing Ammonia??

Kingofnon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i been quiet. Lots of hospital trips. However the tank has been running smoooooth. the last week fish have got much more active, feeding well, couple of the shrimp have appeared with new growth, plants......a different story for a different thread later today (watch out for it haha).

So, every morning for the past week I test and its been

0-0-5

Awesome right? tank is cycled, and cycling nicely. Well today the ammonia is at 1 but the nitrite and nitrate is stil 0-5

So no rise in nitrite as its 0 nitrate hasnt moved but for some reason I have a ammonia trace...

Any ideas?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it possible that you are getting a buildup of uneaten food hiding somewhere in the tank? How often are you doing water changes? If you've not done so lately your filter media may need to be rinsed out in some of the water you removed from your tank after a water change. Ammonia sources can hide. Your cycle (bacteria) should take care of ammonia spikes but maybe this one has been building up and momentarily overwhelmed the cycle.

I am hoping for good news when you start you new thread. Please tag me when you post it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom