Really specific stocking help for a 55

1. Talisaint Member Member

I know it's going to sound crazy, but I need to fulfill my mother's Feng shui requirements for a 55 gallon tank.
    I need one black fish and eight red or yellow fish all in a 55 gallon.
    I don't mind an understocked tank nor a slightly overstocked tank.
    I'm looking at a Bristle nose pleco to fulfill the black fish part. I'm just not sure how to add in red fish since there aren't many breeds that can school up to eight in a 55 . I would greatly prefer a tropical fish that can withstand (not live in) temperatures around 75 degrees Fahrenheit for about four hours since we don't have a heater either. Our house stays unusually hot (we have at least an average of 80 in the spring time) but it can sometimes drop to 75 at night during the winter.
    Also, we live in Southern California, so soft water fish tend to be a nono. We do filter so our water is less hard, but neon tetras probably can't last in our water.

I know I really shouldn't ask for an overstocked selection, but my family treats fish like decoration and we've stuffed a common pleco and eight red parrot fish into this tank for over five years and before them, another common pleco we gave away and several comet goldfish, so I've had quite an adventure and plenty of experience trying to take care of a tank with a bioload that really should be treated with at least five filters.

I'm trying to fix our mistreatment of fish and finding someone with a pond to take care of our poor pleco and replacing the red fish with something smaller while fulfilling my mother's requirements.

Does anyone have ideas before my mom replaces our late sweetheart fish (the red parrot fish with its tail cut off) with another one?

I'm quite desperate for suggestions since I'd hate to see another one of them dumped into this cramped tank. ;-;

2. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

What about male guppies or endlers? A group of 8 could easily live in a 55 without it being anywhere close to overstocked, and they come in some amazing colors and patterns.

3. littleredridingmech Member Member

Or platys?

4. Urgulgania Initiate Member

How about Serpae tetras or red platys?

5. Talisaint Member Member

I've researched about those but I'm afraid they might breed too quickly. They might actually be too small and could get caught in some of the fake plants (if that's possible). Same for platies, unfortunately. I've taken care of fish that don't breed (and stay strictly at 8 fish). I can possibly keep them if I can capture all of the extra fry and feed them to another fish in a separate tank (what's a decent predator?).
    Thoughts on cherry barbs? (Those might be too small, too).

I've looked at swordtail but I can fit five at best. Plus, they might breed unless I get purely males?

I'll do some extra research on them. Something that can grow to maybe 4-5 cm would be grand. Also, the tank would only carry the bristle nose and one other specie so no combination is necessary.

6. Talisaint Member Member

I've actually searched all of those up! I'm considering serpae tetras but I'm really unsure if my local store has any of those.
    I researched a bit more on swordtails and turns out I can fit more as long as I keep a 1:2 ratio of males and females.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm busy with research, now!