really small dog kibble?

cheese
hI there my mom has a small dog, he's a little mutt that we rescued from the spca. when we got him he was very underweight so she mixed soft cat food in with his kibble so he would gain weight. well he really liked that and they've been doing that ever since...he would not touch his kibble unless it was mixed with soft cat food.
well we got a kitten, and she's now eating hard kitten food daily, but so is the dog!!!! I thought maybe his teeth are sensitive, and he has trouble eating the dog kibble. we switched his food from the Beneful chicken flavor to the Beneful with minI bites and chewy morsels for small dogs, and he still prefers the kitten food, even when there's wet food mixed with his hard food.
so my question is, what now? are there any really small, cat food sized dog kibble? do any of you make your own hard dog food? can I make tiny kibble?
I think she feeds the dog hard food because the vet recommends it for keeping his teeth clean, but would you recommend switching to soft dog food and see if he prefers that over kitten food?
I'm kind of at a loss, I (NOW) feed the kitten in a different area, her food is on a tote that the dog can't get to, but the dog will barely eat his food now...he just looks at it, and sometimes my mom gives in and asks me for some kitten food for him. I need some advice please.

Advertisement
corydoralover120
I suggest asking your Mum to stop mixing cat food in for the dog, and mix soft dog food instead. They generally shouldn't eat cat food if you can help it.

Barley's food is pretty small, our kitten can eat it easily. The only problem is it's quite expensive. He eats Orijen Adult Dog Food.

Advertisement
cheese
I agree with the soft dog food...that will be our first step, trying some soft dog food with his kibble. but he still barely touches his kibble with any wet food mixed in, and waits for kitten kibble...maybe the soft dog food will be more appealing to him thanks!

cheese
bump any more suggestions anybody?

Aquaphobia
Could you put it in a bag and smash it with a rubber mallet into smaller chunks, see if that helps? IIRC kitten food is higher in fat which is probably why the dog likes it. Short of continuing to not give in to his demands I don't know what else you can do:-\

cheese
that's a good idea if I can't FIND smaller dog kibble, I can make his smaller! I will try this, thank you!

flchamp89
Personally not a fan of soft foods. If you have a co op or feed store they will have blends for hunting dogs/puppies. I feed a 22 percent product to my aussie. River run is brand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
jenmur
  • Question
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies