Really Sick Betta

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
hello, this is going to be long. I just joined this forum. I need advice about our betta named Bodee we’ve had for a couple of months now.

The tank was cycled. We use spring water and keep it between 78-80 F. Water test results were good before we introduced him to the tank. He seemed healthy and lively the first few weeks. However, he then became a little more lethargic. I saw some small white dots on him. he’s light colored so at times it was hard to see, but I did see a few in his tail. I treated him with Tetra Ich Guard, which a salesperson recommended to me. I made sure the dose was correct for his 4 gallon tank. I followed the directions and did some water changes, but the spots remained.

So a few days later I tried bettafix. Online it seemed like a lot of people had good luck with it. He responded really well the first day or two - he had more energy and appeared back to his old self. After day 3 however, he became lethargic again and has been at the bottom of his tank. So I stopped using the bettafix and did water changes the next few days.

I tested his water and everything came up ok except the ph was just slightly high. I threw an almond(?) leaf in. I checked the ph again after a couple of days and it was still high. So I took a small dose of seachem’s ph regulator. Again, tested the water a couple days later and this time it was closer to neutral (7).

He became more and more lethargic. I’ve still been doing the water changes, making sure the temp and water are good. I’ve added another small heater so the water is 83 F now. It had been around 78-80 before. I guess I was thinking it could help as a kind of supportive care.

Bodee also looks like he lost weight fast. He’s very thin now. However, he was eating up to two days ago.

Then, (this was probably not the smartest move) I added a dose of General Cure, not knowing what else to do. Last night we realized he probably wasn’t going to make it. He hasn’t moved from the bottom of the tank and is lying sideways. maybe I over-medicated him with the ich stuff, bettafix and general cure. :(

Today he truly looked dead. I went to scoop him out, but he started swimming around the tank. Then he went back to resting. I noticed he has some red marks on his tail now. Fin rot? He’s been on the gravel so much and trying to squeeze into small hiding places to rest.

I have no idea what is going on, but he just isn’t getting better. I’ve had Bettas in the past and they’ve lived for 3+ years, with a couple only two years. Maybe it was just luck. I still consider myself a beginner

I’ve attached photos to see if they can help with an answer. His fins seemed to have worsened overnight.the reddish spots were on the top of his tail before. If they’re spots. I don’t know. He is from petco, but since then I have vowed not to go back because of all the sad Bettas in small cups and just the lack of overall care.

Any ideas or things to try? He looks so sad. I don’t think he has much time.

Thank you.
Em

Attachments

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve never experienced something as severe as this before. He could be infected with a type of parasite or disease??
If he seems to be suffering horribly the best thing sometimes euthanasia is the best path :emoji_disappointed_relieved:
I really wish I could be of more help...

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
Thank you. It makes me so sad. Do you know how to euthanize a fish? I don’t want him to suffer, either. He has been such a great betta.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wait! Before you consider euthanizing him, it seems like there are experts on this forum that could help you figure out what happened and how to help him. Did you post in the “sick fish” forum? There are so many people here with a vast collective knowledge. I know a little but not enough to offer more than basic tips.

But....there are things you can do while you wait for more expert advice. First of all I would stop all the meds until you know for sure what’s going on.

Spring water can be “unpredictable” in terms of mineral concentrations, ph, etc but I wouldn’t suggest switching up his water when he is stressed. Are you checking the parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc? If they are within normal range I’d still suggest small daily water changes but try not to disturb or stress him by taking him out if the tank. Keep the lights off (if you have lights) to help him rest. You can add some aquarium salt (follow dosage amounts on the box) bc that is on the low end of intervention and can be healing. Almond leaves are also a good idea. Even if he is really ill and won’t make it, the almond leaves and the salt and the darkened tank will help him feel better for the time being. Other experts, any ideas?

So sorry you’re going through this, you obviously care about him. Bettas are so hardy, he may pull through!

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
Thank you! He has an almond leaf. His water parameters are good now after slightly lowering the ph just a tiny tiny bit a couple of days ago. I haven’t given him any more meds and am worried anything more might make him worse. His lights are off so I will leave them off. I’ll do small water changes. I just worry about him so much.

I did not see the sick fish forum. Thank you - I’ll look for it and post there.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are your actual current water test results please as that will go a long way to figuring out what is going on with him?

Since a betta is a labrynth fish extra care needs to be taken in regard to medication type as some can damage the labrynth organ, occasionally severely, so what are the exact medications you have been trying....also mixing medications can have adverse effects too, so knowing what you used, how much, when and for how long will also be helpful please

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
He was treated for ich about 4 weeks ago. I used the tetra fizz circular tablet at the correct dosage because the woman in the fish dept at Petco (grrrr Petco) recommended it. I followed the instructions. The spots were still there but he was still swimming happily. I thought maybe the spots took a little longer to disappear. I had never had a fish with ich.

Then, this past Friday, he started lying on the bottom and trying to fit into tiny little spaces between the gravel, which is maybe what made his tail so messy.

On Sat of last week I tried bettafix because he was lethargic, but I stopped after three days because he only got worse - more lying at the bottom or behind the filter.

Then, I did water changes every day - 50% the first time and 25 the following days. He wasn’t perking up. At that point, a week later on a Monday I put some General Cure in. It did nothing. I changed the water daily until two days ago, and now he’s barely alive.
I am at work so I will test the water tonight.

I’m afraid I did something really wrong. I just want to save him, and if nothing else, I need to learn a lot.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Freshwater Fish Disease - Aquarium Fish Forum
This is the place that you are looking for. Make sure to fill out this template when making your post (and include the pictures you've posted here).

He still has ich, so your treatment did not work. From your story though, I doubt it is the only reason for his current condition. Trying to manually adjust PH (or other parameter) values is usually a very bad idea as quickly changes in parameters (referred to as swings) are very bad for fish, way worse than a PH that is a little out of their range, for instance. If you are on a water source that has constantly fluctuating values, you can either choose to do many small water changes instead a bigger weekly one (like 10-15% 2 or 3 times a week) so the fluctuations are spread out and have less impact, or you get water from another source; R/O or distilled water (you need a distiller or R/O installation for that though) or buy bottled water and use that.

Right now the first thing you should do is stop all additives to the water (no meds, PH regulators, no salt, etc.) and lower the water level so it is easier for him to get a gulp of air. About 5 inches should be enough. Don't forget to make sure your heater stays submerged to the appropriate level.

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 4
How long has the tank been running? July
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 82 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? One betta
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? When betta is sick every day.
How much of the water do you change? Usually 25-30%.
What do you use to treat your water? Spring water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Will get these this afternoon!
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2/day
How much do you feed your fish? about 5 pellets a day twice a day.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? August
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Early Sept
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White spots first, then lethargy, weight loss, and now red spots?

Have you started any treatment for the illness? He was treated for ich at the beginning of sept or late August. After 2 weeks he had three days of bettafix. He seemed better at first but got worse. So I stopped with the bettafix. Changed his water daily. On Monday this week 9-30 I gave him general cure. Been getting worse every day since. Today may be his last day. :(

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He has gotten smaller. More of his appearance changed yesterday. He developed red bumps on his fins. At least it’s hard to see. He is on his side at the bottom of the tank. It’s hard to tell if he’s alive.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

hello, this is going to be long. I just joined this forum. I need advice about our betta named Bodee we’ve had for a couple of months now.

The tank was cycled. We use spring water and keep it between 78-80 F. Water test results were good before we introduced him to the tank. He seemed healthy and lively the first few weeks. However, he then became a little more lethargic. I saw some small white dots on him. he’s light colored so at times it was hard to see, but I did see a few in his tail. I treated him with Tetra Ich Guard, which a salesperson recommended to me. I made sure the dose was correct for his 4 gallon tank. I followed the directions and did some water changes, but the spots remained.

So a few days later I tried bettafix. Online it seemed like a lot of people had good luck with it. He responded really well the first day or two - he had more energy and appeared back to his old self. After day 3 however, he became lethargic again and has been at the bottom of his tank. So I stopped using the bettafix and did water changes the next few days.

I tested his water and everything came up ok except the ph was just slightly high. I threw an almond(?) leaf in. I checked the ph again after a couple of days and it was still high. So I took a small dose of seachem’s ph regulator. Again, tested the water a couple days later and this time it was closer to neutral (7).

He became more and more lethargic. I’ve still been doing the water changes, making sure the temp and water are good. I’ve added another small heater so the water is 83 F now. It had been around 78-80 before. I guess I was thinking it could help as a kind of supportive care.

Bodee also looks like he lost weight fast. He’s very thin now. However, he was eating up to two days ago.

Then, (this was probably not the smartest move) I added a dose of General Cure, not knowing what else to do. Last night we realized he probably wasn’t going to make it. He hasn’t moved from the bottom of the tank and is lying sideways. maybe I over-medicated him with the ich stuff, bettafix and general cure. :(

Today he truly looked dead. I went to scoop him out, but he started swimming around the tank. Then he went back to resting. I noticed he has some red marks on his tail now. Fin rot? He’s been on the gravel so much and trying to squeeze into small hiding places to rest.

I have no idea what is going on, but he just isn’t getting better. I’ve had Bettas in the past and they’ve lived for 3+ years, with a couple only two years. Maybe it was just luck. I still consider myself a beginner

I’ve attached photos to see if they can help with an answer. His fins seemed to have worsened overnight.the reddish spots were on the top of his tail before. If they’re spots. I don’t know. He is from petco, but since then I have vowed not to go back because of all the sad Bettas in small cups and just the lack of overall care.

Any ideas or things to try? He looks so sad. I don’t think he has much time.

Thank you! Going to do that now.

Attachments

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your insight and suggestions. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:
However, I’m glad I joined this group. I appreciate the help.

Thank you

NanaW

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If nothing else helps set up Emergancy tank or bowl give him salt bath 20 secs for 3 days not feeding him tea per bowl do not leave him in for more than 20 secs, check YouTube bettajoes it saved my boy

Sorry I didn’t finish typing in time R.I.P. little guy

Bodeebetta

Reaction score
Thank you! I will remember that and also check out bettajoe’s. Unfortunately, the little guy did not make it. I checked on him a little bit ago and it was clear he was gone.

I do appreciate your help!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All pics from the same day? Have the number of spots increased over the past days? Any other tanks in the house? Have you tested tds?

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's also the reason I hate going to a pet shop to fetch a betta since they were mistreated and stored in a small cup whereas to other fishes that they stored in a bigger fancier tanks. He looks so stressed and not well I'm personally not a fan of putting chemicals in my tank aside from the water conditioner, if you can, try to put some indian almond leaves in the tank it might make him feel better .

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bodeebetta said:
Thanks everyone for your insight and suggestions. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:
However, I’m glad I joined this group. I appreciate the help.

Thank you
:emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_confounded: Swim in peace, little one.

rhyan said:
That's also the reason I hate going to a pet shop to fetch a betta since they were mistreated and stored in a small cup whereas to other fishes that they stored in a bigger fancier tanks. He looks so stressed and not well I'm personally not a fan of putting chemicals in my tank aside from the water conditioner, if you can, try to put some indian almond leaves in the tank it might make him feel better .
While I agree Indian almond leaves are amazing they might not bring a fish back from the dead.....

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaCaitlin said:
:emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_confounded: Swim in peace, little one.

While I agree Indian almond leaves are amazing they might not bring a fish back from the dead.....
If there is an Indian Magic Leaves we will surely hope to bring your cute fishie back to life, btw I'm sorry to hear that he didn't make it! I also lose 3 bettas this past weeks since they all tried to stuck their selves to the ridges of the sponge filter. Anyway at least he's in peace now we know that you tried everything but his body didn't keep up with his illness. Try to cheer up now because we know your a good owner. Sometimes fish are like people, they had some illness or imperfections that we can't cure, all we can do is to support them and try everything just to comfort them even if we know this efforts will still lead them to leave us.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom