Really REALLY scared of another leak.

SpecialPatrolGroup

Yesterday I woke up to 170 litres of water on my bedroom floor. Tank seal had a breach and overnight the tank had slowly seeped most of its contents on the floor.

I have Covid so I've been sleeping in the lounge so I could hear both of my kids, who have it too. I live in Western Australia and if you have Covid here, you have to isolate for seven days, so I couldn't leave the house to get sealant or anything.

I'm also a single Mum so all of this was basically up to me to sort out and we're all pretty sick. It's been tough.

I am buying a much bigger tank and it's being delivered tomorrow. It's second-hand.

I'm terrified of another leak. This tank is three times the size. I can't face 500 litres of water flooding my home.

Is there some kind of "catchment" system you can build? I can build anything that needs building. I just need to know *what* to build.

Google has not yielded anything helpful.

PeterFishKeepin

hmm, i not sure what you could do as a catchment, perhaps fill the new tank up out in backyard and leave for maybe 2-3days and if it leaks it just goes on the grass. if you cant do that maybe put loads of towels around it on the ground, and fill it up about 10 cm every 15 minutes, that way if there is a leak it will only be a small amount of water leaking, if that made sense, not sure how to help.

Where did you look to find a 500 litre tank? because when i use gumtree and stuff i rarely find anything over 150 litres and if it like a 6-8ft tank they want like over $1,000.

FishDin

I hope you didn't lose any fish :(

Depending on the condition of the silicone, you may want to pre-emptively reseal it for your peace of mind. The only tank I've ever had leak was one I bought used. It was fine for 2-3 years before it started leaking. I only buy new tanks now.

Blacksheep1

Aww no :( I’m so sorry to hear that you and your kids aren’t well, covid definately sucks. I hate tank leaks !! You just can’t always see them coming…

I’m sure I’ve seen a probe type system that sets off an alarm if the water drops below the probe line … if I’ve made that up I’m gonna patent it though ;)

I hope your floors aren’t ruined and I hope you all feel better really soon .

KingOscar

You could consider getting a water level alarm. It could be set to sound and alert you when the tank level drops only an inch or so, making it possible for you to take steps to mitigate the damage early on.

SpecialPatrolGroup

hmm, i not sure what you could do as a catchment, perhaps fill the new tank up out in backyard and leave for maybe 2-3days and if it leaks it just goes on the grass. if you cant do that maybe put loads of towels around it on the ground, and fill it up about 10 cm every 15 minutes, that way if there is a leak it will only be a small amount of water leaking, if that made sense, not sure how to help.

Where did you look to find a 500 litre tank? because when i use gumtree and stuff i rarely find anything over 150 litres and if it like a 6-8ft tank they want like over $1,000.

I bought it from Facebook Marketplace. There's a fellow on there who must have 50 or 60 tanks of all different sizes - I bought my QT tank from him a while back. His house is wild - a HUGE koi pond, and a couple of big goldfish ponds too, and tanks just everywhere of all different sizes. He's a top bloke, too.

PeterFishKeepin

Thanks, ill have to keep looking because im in Sydney and im looking for a 4ft+ tank. It sounds like a cool place, thanks for the link

Revan

I've just tested my one tank by filling it up with water for a day and leaving it in a tub. If it doesn't leak, it works. If not, time to go get a refund.

HupGupp

You can also get moisture detectors fairly cheap that links up to your phone. I put one under my dishwasher after a seal cracked on it and was slowly bubbling up my laminate floor.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Big Red
Replies
Views
mc12345
Replies
Views
Jrsyhomegrown87
Replies
Views