Really, really fat glofish

1. camel89 Initiate Member

I've searched and didn't find much info on this except possibly due to overfeeding, which I don't think is the case since its not even the most aggressive eater in the tank.

So I have 5 glofish (1 of each color), 2 tiny cobra endler's guppies, a honey sunset gourami, a cherry barb, a bolivian ram cichlid, a green cory cat, a ghost shrimp, and a gold mystery snail in an 8 gallon aqueon evolve tank.
    I know it's a lot of fish for this size tank but I do weekly water changes and test the water often and everything stays within range. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all non-existent. pH is neutral and hardness and alkalinity are pretty high, with hardness around 200 and alkalinity at 180.

Anyways about a few days ago I noticed my green glofish looking like it was getting bloated. I have seen it poop so I don't think its constipation. Over a period of about 3 days he/she grew exponentially and now it is so fat that its back is arching. It still eats and swims around fine. Doesn't seem to look sick. I don't think its dropsy since its scales don't seem to be protruding. Also from the information I've read I don't think its getting ready to lay some eggs since it didn't mention them getting so fat anywhere.

I am clueless as to what this could be. Anyone on here have any helpful info? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is one pic I was able to snap, I am in the process of uploading a video which should be clearer.

Attached Files:

2. fbn Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Nice looking Endlers!

I hope you can get this problem solved!

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore :)

You have small fish, with small biolaods, thats why your tank is staying stable and cycled with your water changes. You've figured out something that works for you, as we all have :)

Looks to me like she's either full of eggs :)

4. camel89 Initiate Member

5. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Could be a swim bladder issue... how is the fish swimming?

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, now that I've seen it in action, I don't know what to think! It doesn't seem to be bothered by being so fat, and its adapted quite well to it, but its obviously putting a lot of strain on its spine, and making it bend.

Quite strange...

7. kimoore Member Member

maybe its a mutation and you have a balloon glofish? has it always been fat?

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The front 1/2 of the spine would be shortened if that were the case.

9. camel89 Initiate Member

It looked normal when i got it, and I've had it for a few months. It started getting fat about 5 days ago and has been growing since. I'm scared its just going to "pop"!

10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

That's quite severe bloat, and very troubling to hear that it occurred over only a couple of days.

I would start with an Epsom Salt bath. About 1 tsp per gallon. Transfer some tank water into a bucket, add an airline, and leave the fish in this bath for a few hours. Epsom Salt will help to draw out the extra fluids.

Upon returning to the tank, I would do a 50% water change and closely monitor.

Good luck!

11. camel89 Initiate Member

Thanks for the tip catsma. :)
    I was going to do that today and I noticed that its belly started to go down. It still seems a bit large but definitely not as large as it was when I took the video. If it doesn't go down more in a day or two then I will definitely try the epsom salt.

12. cameronpalte Member Member

It may be constipation which means you need to give it some espom salt, and feed it peas regularly.