20 Gallon Tank Really Not Sure What’s Happening... Ick, Fungus and Maybe Something Else As Well

Megaanemp

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 5ish months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

11x neon tetras
1 accidentally cardinal tetra
13x Pygmy Corys

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 3 days (because this is my quarantine tank)
How much of the water do you change? 50 %
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime and equilibrium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm ( I am dosing a bit of fertilizer as there are some plants in the tank, I can remove the plants if necessary)
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? Small amount
What brand of food do you feed your fish? A variety
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen once or twice a week

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? exactly 30 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fungus or fin rot, and 1 fish with 1 ich spot, neons with bumps on chin. Cory with ick spot is flashing.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, the neons had bad fin rot and one is missing a gill plate but came that way.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes, the fish with the spot is flashing, otherwise all are behaving normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I purchased these fish 1 month ago and put them in this 20 long. The tank had other fish before that I moved to another tank, so this tank has been running and cycled for about 5 months.

Upon purchase the neon tetras had fin rot which cleared up in less than a week. I also noticed 2 neon tetras had bumps under their chins. I’m not sure if this is related to what’s happening with the Catfish I the tank. The bumps do not look like fungus to me. They look to be covered in normal skin and almost look more tumour like.

All of the fish seemed completely fine until yesterday when I noticed one Pygmy Cory had a white fin. He’s so little and so fast that I can’t get a super good look at it but I think it is either fungus or fin rot. No other fish showed any symptoms so I wondered if a tetra nipped him.

This morning a different Pygmy Cory appears to have one ich Spot on his body. No other fish look sick. I either haven’t seen the Cory with the fin issue yet today or it is cleared up, I’m not sure yet ill keep looking for him.

As for the tetras they seem okay. The two still have the bumps on their chin and possibly a third tetra has one as well. I’m not sure if that developed recent;y or if I just hadn’t noticed previoussly as it’s very borderline whether or not it’s even there, his chin may just stick out a little.

All the fish where seemingly very healthy until problems started yesterday, one month in which seems a bit strange.

I live in Canada so a lot of medicines for fish are controlled substances. A lot of people here would use salt and elevated temp to treat ich but I’m worried about the Corys being salt sensitive. Especially since to treat ich a high concentration of salt is required. I do have API Super Ick Cure, which is made of Benzaldehyde green (malachite green). It says to use 1/2 dose for scales fish but I’m worried it won’t properly wipe out the illness at that dosage.

I previously made a post about the neons and contacted the store but no one seems to have an idea of what they are. I wasn’t too concerned honestly until yesterday when that Corys fin looked funny and now there’s ick!

Ill attach a pick of a neon with a bump on its chin. I don’t think I can get a pick of the Corys they’re so so tiny.

Help is very very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 411A7BF3-6B25-46F0-AD86-8660637D8B3A.jpeg
    411A7BF3-6B25-46F0-AD86-8660637D8B3A.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 22

PurpleReign19

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 5ish months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

11x neon tetras
1 accidentally cardinal tetra
13x Pygmy Corys

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 3 days (because this is my quarantine tank)
How much of the water do you change? 50 %
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime and equilibrium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm ( I am dosing a bit of fertilizer as there are some plants in the tank, I can remove the plants if necessary)
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? Small amount
What brand of food do you feed your fish? A variety
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen once or twice a week

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? exactly 30 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fungus or fin rot, and 1 fish with 1 ich spot, neons with bumps on chin. Cory with ick spot is flashing.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, the neons had bad fin rot and one is missing a gill plate but came that way.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes, the fish with the spot is flashing, otherwise all are behaving normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I purchased these fish 1 month ago and put them in this 20 long. The tank had other fish before that I moved to another tank, so this tank has been running and cycled for about 5 months.

Upon purchase the neon tetras had fin rot which cleared up in less than a week. I also noticed 2 neon tetras had bumps under their chins. I’m not sure if this is related to what’s happening with the Catfish I the tank. The bumps do not look like fungus to me. They look to be covered in normal skin and almost look more tumour like.

All of the fish seemed completely fine until yesterday when I noticed one Pygmy Cory had a white fin. He’s so little and so fast that I can’t get a super good look at it but I think it is either fungus or fin rot. No other fish showed any symptoms so I wondered if a tetra nipped him.

This morning a different Pygmy Cory appears to have one ich Spot on his body. No other fish look sick. I either haven’t seen the Cory with the fin issue yet today or it is cleared up, I’m not sure yet ill keep looking for him.

As for the tetras they seem okay. The two still have the bumps on their chin and possibly a third tetra has one as well. I’m not sure if that developed recent;y or if I just hadn’t noticed previoussly as it’s very borderline whether or not it’s even there, his chin may just stick out a little.

All the fish where seemingly very healthy until problems started yesterday, one month in which seems a bit strange.

I live in Canada so a lot of medicines for fish are controlled substances. A lot of people here would use salt and elevated temp to treat ich but I’m worried about the Corys being salt sensitive. Especially since to treat ich a high concentration of salt is required. I do have API Super Ick Cure, which is made of Benzaldehyde green (malachite green). It says to use 1/2 dose for scales fish but I’m worried it won’t properly wipe out the illness at that dosage.

I previously made a post about the neons and contacted the store but no one seems to have an idea of what they are. I wasn’t too concerned honestly until yesterday when that Corys fin looked funny and now there’s ick!

Ill attach a pick of a neon with a bump on its chin. I don’t think I can get a pick of the Corys they’re so so tiny.

Help is very very much appreciated.
Not sure of what is bothering your poor little guy but wanted to say good luck

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Not sure of what is bothering your poor little guy but wanted to say good luck
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Does anyone know how best to treat the tank in this situation? Should I try a half dose of malachite green?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Kfishy17
Replies
Views
LG2fishtanks

Random Great Thread!