Really Hot Tank

Bettaguy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Err.. Its 85ish degrees in a tank with goldfish and guppies, and I'm putting the AC on but its not helping much, I also put a fan next to it, and I'm hoping it lowers it, it is BLAZING here in Albuquerque, So what else can I do to cool it down
Thanks

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
goldfish are cold water fish and guppies are tropical. IMO don't mix them. I would recommend getting the gold fish its own tank. As for the heat is the heater stuck in the on position/ is the tank in direct sunlight?

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When it gets hot over here (though it doesn't seem likely at this rate ) I put tank water in three ziploc bags, and refill the tank with slightly cooler water (do this for water changes, and make sure the water temp. difference is NOT extremely different (i.e. 50 degrees VS 85 degrees))

Put the ziplocs in the freezer overnight. Put one freezer bag in the tank, and exchange them when the water melts. This should keep the tank cooler, at least it does for mine. What size tank?

EDIT:

Also, if the high temps are going to be constant for a while, I'd turn off the heaters for time being. My tanks onced reach the upper 90's With the heaters on. Definitely power them down for this time.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are many methods of cooling a tank.

As a double check, are you using a glass thermometer inside the tank, or a stick on one? Stick on ones are only indicative rather than accurate.

Lights - you can turn them off, this will stop the heat transfer into the water. Unless you have plants, in which case, you might need to change the light cycle so they come on during the cooler parts of the day/night.

Ice - as suggested, this works quite well, but you need to keep on top of the ice swapping, temperature swings can be more dangerous than a constant higher heat.

Fans - if you can point a fan at the water surface, it will cool it (evaporative cooling)

Hood - if you have a hood, you can try lifting it a little to help allow the hot air to escape.

Also, if you don't already have one, I would strongly recommend adding an air stone. As water temp rises, it's ability to hold oxygen is reduced. Adding an airstone will add oxygen and help prevent your fish from 'suffocating'

And lastly, don't panic, your fish will survive the higher heat for a while. Personally, I don't panic until temps get above 30C (86F), which you're almost at. If you are experiencing a small heat wave, I would recommend keeping the airstone running, and just let the temp come down naturally. Maybe also consider some more frequent water changes.

Bettaguy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Heater is off, there is an air pump, and I will use the ice idea

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads