Help Really High Nitrate On Established Tank

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Help I have really high nitrates I’ve had the tank for over a year and I don’t know what to do. Should I test other things help!

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How often do you change the water? And how much do you change when you do it?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you doing weekly water change? If so who much? Nitrates are the end product of the nitrogen cycle so usually if you have high nitrate then simply do more frequent/larger water changes. If the tank is over stocked then that would also lead to high levels.

Might be worth checking your water source for nitrates as well.

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do changes about one every week at 30% and I did one yesterday

Do you think all the pest snails I have could be causing a nitrate spike

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you think all the pest snails I have could be causing a nitrate spike
Usually doubtful unless you have tons of them. Overfeeding and not doing proper maintenance are the main reasons. How often do you test for them and what are your usual levels?

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I haven’t tested them in a month since I was away but before that 5

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only ever test monthly but if you hadn't changed the water in a month that would definitely be a cause for them spiking. Or if you missed a dead fish, killed off a bunch of pest snails, etc. I encourage everyone to use live plants in their tanks as they will help a ton with nitrate levels and help polish the water.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Having a lot of pest snails normally means you're overfeeding, leading to high nitrate. I struggled with pest snails when I put all the food in at once. Now I put some food in, let the fish eat for 30 seconds, then put more in and let them eat for another minute, then put a little more in. Then it doesn't get scattered around the tank and make a mess/rot.

Your nitrate looks like 40-ish. That's not terribly high, but it's deff 2x what I'd say is good. Just do a 50% water change, wait a couple hours and do another 50% water change. This will get your nitrate to 10 ppm. Do another 50% water change in a day or so then just do larger water changes than 30% going forward and make sure you're not overfeeding your fish.

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Someone looking after the tank did two water changes while I was gone I have live plants I tested to see if I could safely use a fertilizer that makes nitrates go up could it be from my plants dying and I haven’t used any of the fertilizer yet and I have no missing dead fish so I have no clue

Should I test my tap water first

Johnnybelfastboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with demeter High nitrates usually overstocked or not enuf water changes Tho u say u do 30% once a week which sounds fine depending on size of ur tank. A large 50% water change then i would do 30% daily. Water changes work wonders.. its all down to patience ☺

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants dying would indeed be a cause. Most ferts designed for use in aquariums are formulated specifically to not produce nitrates. I would say go ahead and use them of they are made for aquariums.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes, if you have a lot of snails, they do produce a lot of wastes. i have two 5 gallon buckets, one with red and blue ramshorns and one with wild type and wild type leopard ramshorns, after a week the entire bottom is full of snail poop.

you'll need to vacuum weekly and do atleast 50% water changes. i test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate every week before i do my weekly 70-75% water changes.

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have thrive I’ll do a big water change use a half dose of thrive then tommorow I’ll do another water change

I probaly have like 50 snails and I have 7 danios and 1 Bristlenose pleco in my twenty gallon

Can the amount of nitrates in tap water change

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ya I check my tap water once a year.

I have .5 ammonia (because of chloramine) and no nitrite or nitrate. It's common to have ammonia in the tap water, I'm not sure how common nitrate is though.

The amount of ammonia in tap water would only turn to like 1 to 3 nitrates once it is consumed by your BB.

Here’s the tap
There you go....

How big is your tank? You may want to consider using RO water. You can cheaply buy it from the water store. Or if you have a bigger tank, I'd get an RO unit.

If you have a small tank, you can try filling a couple buckets of water a week before and putting a bunch of pothos plants in the buckets. They should be able to remove 10ppm nitrate in a week....

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a twenty gallon I think it’s fine I haven’t had any problems for four years so yeah

What do you mean by there you go it’s like 5
Should I still do a water change
I also use prime

Last edited:

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well just the variables change in the math. Same formula.
(% water removed)(nitrate in tap water) + (% remaining in tank)(nitrate of old water) = new nitrate.

So doing two 50% water changes will only get you to 17.5 ppm nitrate.

It's like you're always starting at 10 ppm, instead of 0.

If you're just going to use tap water, you should stick some pothos plants out the top of your tank. They work great to consume nitrate. They look nice too.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok thanks I did the change what’s a potion plant and I’m going to put a half dose of thrive in my tank is this a Pothos plant if so can I just take a clipping and put it in my tank
Yes that's the correct plant.

Go ahead and take a couple trimmings and hang them with the roots in the water. If you trim the tops, it will grow new roots so just put the stems in the water.

They grow so fast that they consume an amazing amount of nitrate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom