REALLY high levels of ammonia when using prime and safestart?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by mejota, Jul 4, 2015.

1. mejotaValued MemberMember

I wanted to start a new thread for this. My tank has been running for a few days now and the ammonia level is around 1ppm now and nitrate is around 10 ppm. Still normal levels? Should I do a water change, but if I do so won't the ammonia level show as shooting up again because of how prime works?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Are there already fish in the tank, or are you doing a fishless cycle?

3. Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1Well Known MemberMember

In another thread Dom90 said you have to wait 24 hours after using tetra safe start before adding prime so the effects from TSS wear off when the bacteria settle so did you wait or added them around the same time.

4. OP
    OP
    m

mejotaValued MemberMember

The safestart was added in almost 2 days after the safestart as was advised. I am doing fish in as that is what I was advised to do by many.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Uhh I said that the other way around, you must have misunderstood. You add the Prime, THEN wait 24 hours to add the TSS. The effects of Prime will effectively cancel out the ammonia that's in the bottle of TSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    m

That is what I did. I added in the prime, then added in the safestart almost two days later.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well what you are experiencing is normal. Don't do anything for 2 weeks, don't do water changes, don't test the water, etc. You will get weird readings and go crazy when you test water. Just let TSS run its course.

8. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

How many fish are in your tank? What size is your tank? TSS is meant to be used with very small bio-loads of fish to slowly build up the right beneficial bacteria. If you have too many fish and the ammonia gets too high it will fail. I believe Tetra says ammonia should not go above 1.0.

Depending on the answers to the questions above you could either:
    a) add in another bottle of TSS
    b) return some fish and start over with a few danios etc or better yet, fishless cycle with ammonia.

9. OP
    OP
    m

I have a single fish in a 5 gallon tank. I will go buy another bottle then.

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

This is where Seachem Stability becomes superior. It can withstand ammonia and nitrite levels up to 3 ppm. Personally tested in a previous cycle.

11. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Perhaps you should switch to Seachem Stability?
    A 5g tank isn't big enough for any fish except a betta? or a couple of guppies or similar. Is that what you have?

12. OP
    OP
    m

I have a single betta in there. I am about to head out to the store, should I buy stability? Should I do a water change? I followed the prime and safestart to a t, so I don't quite understand what is going on here.

Should I add more prime in to get rid of the ammonia?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You shouldn't have to add more Prime. Yes get stability. It has spores in a dormant state that will activate when it contacts with water. The bacteria can withstand higher levels of ammonia compared to the ones in TSS. It states all this on their website. I will back up all Seachem's products as effective.

14. OP
    OP
    m

I am just worried about the ammonia levels honestly. Should I do a water change along with stability? Will the stability bring it down fast enough that I dont have to do this?

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes do a 50% water change and try to get ammonia to .5 or less. Sorry I thought you were doing a fishless cycle. Put Prime after the wc and then add the recommended dose of Stability 30 minutes later.

16. OP
    OP
    m

Ok, thank you!

17. OP
    OP
    m

18. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Dose the stability for now and check the level again tomorrow. If it's about the same or slightly less, don't do anything. Remember to not over feed the betta. What I do is only feed 4 pellets, yes 4, each time I feed, twice a day. They're not that active so 8-10 pellets a day is all they really need.

19. OP
    OP
    m

I have pellets on the way in the mail, I screwed up and got the omega one flakes. The fish seems to like them, but I have read they arent as good.

20. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I use the Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets and usually feed 4 per serving, twice a day. I also feed kelp one day as well, just a teeny tiny piece, and occasionally skip a feeding every 4-5 days. This has proven to be a good regimen for me. Also keeps waste levels to a minimum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice