really easy fish to breed

1. hgrad98 Member Member

What are some of the easiest fish to breed out there? Egg layers or livebearers. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Livebearers, just add water ;)

3. hgrad98 Member Member

Lol. I know. I have had the aquatic bunnies (guppies) before. But I mean other than the obvious guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails. Tanks though

4. GuyCO Member Member

Convict cichlids are really easy to breed. They just need a big tank though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. echi1 Well Known Member Member

6. Fishguy11 Member Member

Danios are pretty easy to breed. You could ask your LFS about how many zebra danios for say you could fit in your tank and then they will breed like crazy if you have enough and the right gender.

7. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

One thing to remember when getting into breeding fish, or anything really, is have a plan ahead of time on what you will do with babies. Do you need to separate parents from babies, i.e. you will need another tank? How many babies will be produced? Is there a LFS that will accept donations or sales from the public? Will you sell them on ebay or craigslist?

Quite often people get into breeding and don't really think things out, then they have a drastically overstocked tank with a ton of fish that are suffering. As with anything in this hobby, research and planning ahead are incredibly important.

As for me, I like breeding red cherry shrimp. They are super easy and when a tank gets "full" their breeding slows down so as not to over run the tank. I also sell them locally on craigslist and am debating on whether to get into shipping them.

8. tanz88 Member Member

Kirbensis cichlids r easy to breed they pretty much just need good water a decent size tank and a hidey hole to spawn in but will over populate the tank pretty quick so need to no u have somewhere for all the fry to go

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Egg layers, convicts. Live bearers, guppies. Like someone else said, just add water.