Really dissapointed in Big Als Online

1. click Well Known Member Member

Really dissapointed by Big Als Online

In the past few days I've been looking around to see what would be the best double strip fluorescent light I can buy to add to my tank, and save some money at the same time too. I came across Big Al's 56.99 offer and thought to myself what a good deal that is. When I tried to order it I noticed it was the USA order site and they don't deliver to Canada so I immediately checked the Canadian site. Shock! Same item was almost at double price!!! And that's without the ~15% taxes.

Really annoyed I did some more research and I have found a similar light at PetSmart online (USA site too, they don't have a Canadian version) and WITH delivery and WITH taxes I come to a total of ~$81 USD. Te USD / CAD parity is very close so it doesn't affect the price by more than 2-3 dollars, but even so, I come almost $20 below their posted price of 99.99 without taxes!!!

What a ripoff!
    So word of advice, make sure you do your research before ordering something online. Is true there are not many Canadian specialty stores but still, trying to take advantage of that to the max and rip off your customers in not a good business plan. I would have accepted a slightly higher price, but not doubled. :nono:

/end rant

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

I kinda know hwo you feel click, there are so many fantastic american online stores that just don't deliver to the UK, and when they do the prices are huge!
    Luckily Iv'e found a site that is pretty good in the UK, but still, I understand your annoyance :(

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

4. click Well Known Member Member

Yes, I've seen that but decided to buy this instead. I have pondered between the two for a few days and I went for the higher overall WPG. We'll see when it arrives if I made the right decision.

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

WPG is irrelevant in many cases; for example, 108W of light from a HO T5 strip is noticeably brighter than 130W from a PC strip. A 65W PC strip is going to be noticeably brighter than the twin tube normal output light that you linked.

Just a thought. If you're going for a planted tank, might be something to keep in mind.

6. click Well Known Member Member

I agree, but I had to consider the price of replacing bulbs as well. I have low light plants, they seem to do OK with the 20W I currently have and they slowly grow, but as they do they tend to make more shade and the fish are not as colorful when in shaded areas.

With the economy today, we have to make compromises :-[

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Another forum member used a bathroom vanity light and posted this pick, I love the look. I think I am going this route with my 120G once I get it set up. I think it looks very nice and you can get some good wattage for a low price. I checked on similar lights yesterday at Lowes and they were anywhere from 50-300 bucks. Most around $100.00. I have glass tops for my tank so it gives clean smooth look. I might go with a fixture that sends more light down and is not transparent but you get the idea.

I really like this look using a vanity light and CFL bulbs.

Attached Files:

8. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

that sucks man...wish i could help

9. click Well Known Member Member

That is such a cool idea.

crazy4fish_123, no worries, I've found a cheaper light online. It was just a temporary frustration on how some business' try to rip you off just because they have no local competition.

10. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm... I know this is an older complaint but have you looked at mops? I think I have a few other sites book-marked as well, I can look them up if you like. I can't say anything about price comparisons but just so you know there are options out there.
    :)

11. click Well Known Member Member

I would love to have a few Canadian sites handy. You can never have too much information :). Will you please PM some of the links? I will bookmark them as well. I like to see the options out there before purchasing something. So far the best deals I found were always in the states. But the shipping cost kills the deal usually.

12. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Shipping is a Killer :p
    It's the middle of finals but I'll try and get those links to you soon as I can :p (Way to many bookmarks to go though <bleh> lol)

13. click Well Known Member Member

oh, by all means please take care of the finals first. good luck with the exams and whenever you have some spare time you can send me those links. I don't plan to buy anything soon, is just something nice to have.