Really dirty tank

1. Kaattiee Initiate Member

I recently was given a betta by someone with the tank, filter, heater and some decorations. They decided they couldn't take care of it anymore. First thing I did was test the water parameters.

PH - 8.0
    Nitrate 110mg/l
    Nitrite 0.3 mg/l
    Ammonia - 0

Not sure about the temperature as there's no thermometer in this tank.

I started a water change but there so much food waste and gunk that I can't get it all with one water change. Wondering how I should go about changing the water, should I do daily ones so that the parameters don't change so drastically and stress the fish ? Or should I just change it all?

2. peregrine Member Member

Personally I would start with a large ((like 40-50%) water change then do either daily or twice daily water changes of like 10-20% until the readings for nitrates gets down. One thing I do see is there are nitrites, like the cycle didn't totally finish, which is odd with such high nitrates... Try to get the PH and temp as close as possible during the water changes. If your PH is drastically different from your tap water this plan may need to be changed as a 50% change with a drastically different water temp or PH can cause issues.

3. Kaattiee Initiate Member

Thank you! I ended up straining his water and rocks into a bucket ( I put him into a temporary tank with his tank water ) so his rocks are nice and mold free now then I put some of his water back into the tank and added new treated water. I stole the thermometer from my aquarium to test the temperatures and did a PH test and it was all good, he seems a lot happier now swimming around not just laying in one spot anymore. All he needs now is foliage and some new filter cartridges! Thank for your help !

4. peregrine Member Member

Glad to hear the fishy is doing better..