really confused Help

1. gonzo127

gonzo127 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hi again all

ok just had another random death in my tank and getting really confused

right i have been restocking my tank for the past 2-3 months now after a mass death at the hands of a 17 year olds party

in this time i keep on losing the 'odd' fish here and there which what appears to be bloat, my most recent casualty is a male guppie i have had for about 2 months. previous ones include a Panda Cory ~1 month and a Dwarf Gourami ~ 1 month - this was the last of the 'old fish'

now i am a fanatical about water quality and do not let it get out of hand and it very rarely goes above 15ppm on Nitrates and is always 0 for nitrite and ammonia and i usually do at least a 25% water change weekly

i have changed the food i put in the tank too hikari algae wafers and tetra pro flakes and put in the odd bit of garlic and cucumber in every now and then for a change.

now i am just wondering if there is anything people could think of which might be causing these random deaths to what appear to be healthy fish ~ only noticed the guppie was ill yesterday and is dead today other than that has been a wonderful active guy.

really any thoughts would be helpful at the moment as i really do not want to either lose any of the other guys or get someone else just to lose them

2. Diggly

Diggly Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I am so sorry you lost your fish, the only other thing I can think of is ph, is the ph in the tank the same as your tap water?

3. soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hear about your fish, i can't really think of any reason why your fish keep on dying but i quite a beginner. I have a friend who kept on buying fish from a store that always seemed to be sick. maybe it could be where you buy your fish?

4. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +45
    What about your water temps??
    If you would please fill in all your tank information....sometimes can be very helpful for us, to get a mental picture of your systems.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +75
    you have a q tank, so it's probably not acclimation problems... any chance that anything you've dipped into the tank came ito contact with soaps, lotions, etc.?

6. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Hmmm... they bloated up you said? Any signs of pine conning?
    Also I'm not sure i understand the time line. Were there any survivors from the party incident? How long between fish deaths?
    You're water parameters sound alright so far so it's not a cycle problem... did you clean the tank after the party? with what?...
    Sorry for all the questions just trying to see what's happened with the tank. :)
    Let's hope we can figure this out.

7. OP
    OP
    gonzo127

gonzo127 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    right ok to try and answer some of the questions, and thanks for the comments so far

tank is kept at 24 C

i do not beleive it is lotions mainly because i dont use any and i also rinse throughly my hands in warm water before i do anything in/with the tank including feeding

Any signs of pine conning? - not sure what this is will have a read up and get back to this

as for cleaning the tank after the party all i did is scrub down the insides with the glass cleaner pad - no chemicals, and do lots of water changes as i still had one fish left alive at the time

ok so a quick time line

3 1/2 months ago - party - lost 1 platie, 6 neon tetras and two guppies - 1 platie left alive - clean out tank and do lots of water changes
    +1 week - went to store and got a Dwarf Gourami - not my wisest of moves i now realise
    +2 week - Dwarf Gourami bloats and dies within 2-3 days (followed advice with many water changes garlic for food etc)
    +1 week (i.e 2 1/2 months ago) - remaining platie dies - major clean of tank and gravel as tank now empty put some food in to keep tank cycled

+1 week - got 2 male platies
    +2 weeks - got 2 male guppies - started to notice some agression between platies
    +2 weeks (i.e 1 month 1 week ago) - got 1 more male platie + 2 cory cats
    no major spikes in water condidtions, doing daily tests and if any (0.5ppm occasionally) ammonia or nitrite showed would do 25% water changes daily until back to 0

+2 weeks - got 2 more cory cats - within 2 days one of the original ones died bloated
    started to notice some agression between the guppies
    +2 weeks - got one more male guppie
    +1 week (now) - one of the older guppies dies - once again bloated

so theres my basic time line, as stated i do daily checks on the water condidtions due to the relitivly short period of time in restocking, i always do a 25% water change on a Sunday even if the parameters are alright

hope this can shine some light on whats going wrong if you need to know anything else just ask and i will try and answer best i can

cheers once again

8. Diggly

Diggly Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Pine conning is where the scales are raised giving the fish the effect of a pine cone. If they are then it looks like it could be a bad case of dropsy.