really confused Help

1. gonzo127 Member Member

hi again all

ok just had another random death in my tank and getting really confused

right i have been restocking my tank for the past 2-3 months now after a mass death at the hands of a 17 year olds party

in this time i keep on losing the 'odd' fish here and there which what appears to be bloat, my most recent casualty is a male guppie i have had for about 2 months. previous ones include a Panda Cory ~1 month and a Dwarf Gourami ~ 1 month - this was the last of the 'old fish'

now i am a fanatical about water quality and do not let it get out of hand and it very rarely goes above 15ppm on Nitrates and is always 0 for nitrite and ammonia and i usually do at least a 25% water change weekly

i have changed the food i put in the tank too hikari algae wafers and tetra pro flakes and put in the odd bit of garlic and cucumber in every now and then for a change.

now i am just wondering if there is anything people could think of which might be causing these random deaths to what appear to be healthy fish ~ only noticed the guppie was ill yesterday and is dead today other than that has been a wonderful active guy.

really any thoughts would be helpful at the moment as i really do not want to either lose any of the other guys or get someone else just to lose them

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I am so sorry you lost your fish, the only other thing I can think of is ph, is the ph in the tank the same as your tap water?

3. soccermatt Member Member

sorry to hear about your fish, i can't really think of any reason why your fish keep on dying but i quite a beginner. I have a friend who kept on buying fish from a store that always seemed to be sick. maybe it could be where you buy your fish?

4. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

What about your water temps??
    If you would please fill in all your tank information....sometimes can be very helpful for us, to get a mental picture of your systems.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you have a q tank, so it's probably not acclimation problems... any chance that anything you've dipped into the tank came ito contact with soaps, lotions, etc.?

6. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm... they bloated up you said? Any signs of pine conning?
    Also I'm not sure i understand the time line. Were there any survivors from the party incident? How long between fish deaths?
    You're water parameters sound alright so far so it's not a cycle problem... did you clean the tank after the party? with what?...
    Sorry for all the questions just trying to see what's happened with the tank. :)
    Let's hope we can figure this out.

7. gonzo127 Member Member

right ok to try and answer some of the questions, and thanks for the comments so far

tank is kept at 24 C

i do not beleive it is lotions mainly because i dont use any and i also rinse throughly my hands in warm water before i do anything in/with the tank including feeding

Any signs of pine conning? - not sure what this is will have a read up and get back to this

as for cleaning the tank after the party all i did is scrub down the insides with the glass cleaner pad - no chemicals, and do lots of water changes as i still had one fish left alive at the time

ok so a quick time line

3 1/2 months ago - party - lost 1 platie, 6 neon tetras and two guppies - 1 platie left alive - clean out tank and do lots of water changes
    +1 week - went to store and got a Dwarf Gourami - not my wisest of moves i now realise
    +2 week - Dwarf Gourami bloats and dies within 2-3 days (followed advice with many water changes garlic for food etc)
    +1 week (i.e 2 1/2 months ago) - remaining platie dies - major clean of tank and gravel as tank now empty put some food in to keep tank cycled

+1 week - got 2 male platies
    +2 weeks - got 2 male guppies - started to notice some agression between platies
    +2 weeks (i.e 1 month 1 week ago) - got 1 more male platie + 2 cory cats
    no major spikes in water condidtions, doing daily tests and if any (0.5ppm occasionally) ammonia or nitrite showed would do 25% water changes daily until back to 0

+2 weeks - got 2 more cory cats - within 2 days one of the original ones died bloated
    started to notice some agression between the guppies
    +2 weeks - got one more male guppie
    +1 week (now) - one of the older guppies dies - once again bloated

so theres my basic time line, as stated i do daily checks on the water condidtions due to the relitivly short period of time in restocking, i always do a 25% water change on a Sunday even if the parameters are alright

hope this can shine some light on whats going wrong if you need to know anything else just ask and i will try and answer best i can

cheers once again

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Pine conning is where the scales are raised giving the fish the effect of a pine cone. If they are then it looks like it could be a bad case of dropsy.