Really Bad Snail Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SuperK, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

Okay so I usually have no real issue with snails, except for the fact that they've pretty much taken over my entire tank
    [​IMG]
    They're on the glass too, I even have limpets now... Go figure
    How do I get rid of these dudes? I know you can get assassin snails but I've never ever seen anywhere here that sells em.

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure a lot of people here use a lettuce leaf on the bottom and when they pile on to eat it pick it out and throw them away.

3. S

S_Fish85 New Member Member

You can attach a slice a vegetable to a string and then pull it up a little after darkness once some of the snails are on it. Or cut a top off of a Dasani size bottle and full it with some vegetables and then put the top back on it in reverse so the drinking part is on the inside. Then set it on the substrate. It will act as a trap. Depending on how many snails you have the process may have to be repeated a few times.

4. Book em Danio

Book em Danio New Member Member

Snails are probably the only things that breed faster than guppies! Only sure way I've found to get rid of them is to tear it all down and start from scratch!

5. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

Hello! These snails are known as bladder or tadpole snails! They feed on the biofilm and waste in your tank. This means you can't really starve them out as they would probably die after all your fish! The best way to kill as many as you have here would be to bait them with the techniques listed above (I've heard zucchini and cucumber to work as well.) and place them in boiling water. This is a humane way of killing them instantly. Petstores and some aquarists say they are pests, but I only think this is because they don't know how to control them. They don't add much to your bioload as long as you keep their population numbers down. You can also remove them by hand for rehoming or euthanasia. Assassin snails can be purchased online, but you need to make sure the company ships their animals humanely. If you simply cannot stomach the idea of having bladder snails in your tank, I would suggest a total breakdown, such as Danio stated, boiling what decor you can and leaving the rest out to dry completely. The gravel can also be boiled. You could then get a lone larger snail such as an apple snail or nerite snail. I hope this helps you! :>

6. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

A loach will eat them. You could buy a small clown loach and let him pick them off.

7. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

I agree. I had a snail problem, bought a clown loach, and now no problem.

8. sheehanje

sheehanje Valued Member Member

I have the opposite issue. I wish I could get them to breed. Trying to get a steady supply for my dwarf puffer tank.

9. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

Other loaches that will eat them are horsefaces ,Dojos, dwarf chain, zebras,and yoyos

10. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Just remember that any fish you get to eradicate them will probably quickly out grow your tank. Make sure you have a definite place to rehome it.

11. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

I also have a Dojo with my Clown.

12. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Another idea is ghost shrimp. They will eat the eggs and I am told even baby snails.

I can tell you that since I have added ghost shrimp to my tanks, I have seen a dramatic decrease in the number of bladder snails I see. I just pick out the adults as I see them. I was picking out like 30 in my 55g every day. Now it is just a few and I have to really look for them. I am thinking about adding more shrimp.
    Also would like bamboo shrimp. They are pretty cool and huge. Not sure about their appetite for snails and snail eggs though.

13. OP
    OP
    SuperK

I'd give them to you if I could haha, I have about 100 I think

Hi all

Couldn't get a clown loach, tank is only a 12gal cube haha

I'll try the snail trap, I don't mind snails but when they're in literally every corner of your tank they kinda get annoying. They get stuck in my siphon too since they're in the gravel. I wouldn't know anywhere that sells snails humanely and I'd rather not risk putting it through any harm

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  14. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Hi SuperK, I have had this problem recently and have almost cured it now.

I tried most other things as suggested but nothing worked.

What has worked for me has been to use a 10mm internal diameter syphon during water changes and suck out the snails.

It's OK if you can only suck out a few each change as eventually you will bring them down to an acceptable level.

It's taken 2 months and about 15 water changes of 2 gallons each so far.

Elimination will obviously take much longer.

I still have a few but they are still decreasing and the problem is largely solved.

The pic shows how many I had before I started, most visible on the right hand glass.

17.01.15 Neon Tetra Cube Aquarium Steve Joul - Copy.JPG

I thought excess snails was due to excess feeding but in my case this is not the case.

15. A

Aquarium Josh Valued Member Member

Depending on the size of your tank you can get a clown loach they eat snails

16. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Clown loaches dont fit in a 12 gallon tank

17. A

Aquarium Josh Valued Member Member

Yeah I didn't see the size of the tank best bet would be assassin snails 3 or 4 would work in no time

18. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I use algae wafers and shrimp pellets to catch mts. I swear they can smell these the best. Within a few minutes, I have a huge snail pile all over the food.

I like the tipped over water bottle method. I cut off the top and weigh it down with a rock.

19. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

what do the assassins eat when they're done in a 12g tank ? ?????

20. OP
    OP
    SuperK

The fish probably, lol

Sounds really long omg but I'll keep it in mind in case the other things don't work!! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice