Really Bad Parameters All Of A Sudden. Please Help.

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
So last night I noticed my tank was a little foggy, however it was extremely late and I wasn't able to do anything without waking my entire house up. Today (it's almost 6pm, just woke up lol) I decided it'd be best to do a parameter check.

I tested the water and immediately realised I needed to do a water change fast.

0-.25/0.50/40
eacdbcf65e035f75fb2b3233fe04041e.jpg

Here's an , sorry I couldn't get it with the card but they keep sliding around.

Yikes. However it's odd to me. I didn't really have much of an ammonia spike, highest it ever got was about .25. Is that normal? Is it normal to have a huge nitrite spike and nitrate spike together? I always kinda thought it was ammonia spike, nitrite spike and then you have a small spike in nitrates. Never seen em together imo. I've only ever been able to cycle a tank halfway before something happens to it lol. I got midway into my 39 gals cycle before my parents disassembled it without my permission. Anyway.

Gonna do a water change right now, my fish will suffer if I don't. I thought he looked a little off when I woke up.
 

Kiks

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,194
Reaction score
510
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm no expert when it comes to cycling with fish, so I don't know if the spikes are different compared to cycling without fish. However, if your ammonia has never reached more than 0.25 ppm I'm surprised you've even got your cycle started.
0.50 ppm nitrite is not what I've experienced when cycling. When my tank has spiked during fishless cycling it's been rising to about 5 ppm nitrites and then I've done a water change cause that's what you're supposed to do when doing it like that.
These are all very low numbers when it comes to cycling at least compared to my experience. Definitely a good call to do a water change since these are not low numbers for the fish.
Also, I know that people have different experiences with the API test kit especially when it comes to ammonia readings and how well the color of the tube matches the 0 on the card. Just wanted to say that my tube has never been the right yellow color and to me your tube looks like a 0 reading.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
Kiks said:
I'm no expert when it comes to cycling with fish, so I don't know if the spikes are different compared to cycling without fish. However, if your ammonia has never reached more than 0.25 ppm I'm surprised you've even got your cycle started.
0.50 ppm nitrite is not what I've experienced when cycling. When my tank has spiked during fishless cycling it's been rising to about 5 ppm nitrites and then I've done a water change cause that's what you're supposed to do when doing it like that.
These are all very low numbers when it comes to cycling at least compared to my experience. Definitely a good call to do a water change since these are not low numbers for the fish.
Also, I know that people have different experiences with the API test kit especially when it comes to ammonia readings and how well the color of the tube matches the 0 on the card. Just wanted to say that my tube has never been the right yellow color and to me your tube looks like a 0 reading.
Yeah no it's been kinda off green before, I just find it off that I'd have such a massive nitrate spike. It was 0 a few days ago. Now the tank is cloudy and it's got horrible parameters. Could my tank have crashed?

Okay I made a post earlier and it got zero traction but now this is kind of a big issue.

So last night I noticed my tank was very slightly cloudy. I decided maybe it was a tiny bacterial bloom, would clear up. Wasn't really much I could do that late at night anyway. So when I woke up I tested my water and my parameters were kinda whack.
6a44e782d757925cf0531ff82865f454.jpg


Now, while this may not be big in terms of cycling, the fact of the matter is my tank was pretty much 0/0/0 this entire time. Sometimes I'd get a very faint reading of ammonia. However all of a sudden the parameters are just bad. I'm more concerned about the nitrates than anything else since they're the worst. I did a water change around 7pm and we're back to cloudy with bad water.
68972156f4615fdfd0828eceb7265c35.jpg


What do I do? Has my tank crashed? Is this new tank syndrome? I can't change the water again either, it's too late at night. I'm only 16 and my parents will get annoyed.

I have a betta in there at the moment. I didn't want to do a fish in cycle but it wasn't my choice. I don't want him to die but I have no spare tank I can keep him in. He looks okay but a little lethargic which is worrying. No gasping or anything. Gonna turn his lights off to minimise stress.
 

Kiks

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,194
Reaction score
510
Experience
5 to 10 years
SuperK said:
Yeah no it's been kinda off green before, I just find it off that I'd have such a massive nitrate spike. It was 0 a few days ago. Now the tank is cloudy and it's got horrible parameters. Could my tank have crashed?
I guess it somewhat could've crashed, though I don't know if that really counts since you aren't cycled yet. Sometimes weird things just happen during cycles.
Is there any chance that you've had a nitrite spike (not 0.50 ppm, but like 2 - 3 ppm) without knowing? Has there been a couple of days where you haven't tested? If you've had a nitrite spike that could definitely cause a rise in nitrates.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,162
Reaction score
6,169
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
What size is this tank exactly?

My brother's tank had a bacterial bloom, and signs of cloudy water. I'm 15, but I can help you.
 

Mom2some

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
626
Location
Virginia, USA
Experience
1 year
Do you have Prime or another water conditioner that protects against ammonia & nitrites? If so double or triple dose for the volume of the tank. I would test again & then do a 50% water change as soon as possible.
 

Coradee

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
18,161
Reaction score
5,592
Location
England
Experience
More than 10 years
Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
Coradee said:
Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic
Thanks, was on mobile. I'm just stressing out since I don't know what to do and I kinda need help badly.

.
Fanatic said:
What size is this tank exactly?

My brother's tank had a bacterial bloom, and signs of cloudy water. I'm 15, but I can help you.
It's a 12gal cube.

Mom2some said:
Do you have Prime or another water conditioner that protects against ammonia & nitrites? If so double or triple dose for the volume of the tank. I would test again & then do a 50% water change as soon as possible.
I don't sorry, I need to buy some. I left my test tubes a little longer and now they're about 0.50-1.0/.50-1.0 and 40-80ppm again. I can't do a WC till tomorrow, it's 22:30 PM. Was thinking to move my betta to like, a pyrex jug or something overnight just so he has clean water.
 

AWheeler

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,326
Reaction score
1,068
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
4 years
Don't read your tubes after about 5 min, 10 min max (if that)

See if you can get the Betta to a different place with some clean water (the bigger the better so ammonia doesn't build up).

Some questions though...did you do a water change before you saw this going on in your tank...what else is in the tank, how much do you feed the Betta, what is the ph of your tank, and last but not least....did you test your tap for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
APierce said:
Don't read your tubes after about 5 min, 10 min max (if that)

See if you can get the Betta to a different place with some clean water (the bigger the better so ammonia doesn't build up).

Some questions though...did you do a water change before you saw this going on in your tank...what else is in the tank, how much do you feed the Betta, what is the ph of your tank, and last but not least....did you test your tap for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
I've tested the water before and it's come out as complete zero. pH is 6.8 I think last time I checked. I do water changes every week since my ammonia would really never rise. I think the day this happened I did a water change though. Like, it happened after a WC I believe. I can try and find something but I don't know if I have anything but jugs lol.

Edit: I said 6.8 originally in this but when I actually did the test I remembered the colour was the same and it is actually 7.6 or whatever it was down in my comment below. I have dyscalculia so I have difficulties remembering numbers and find it easier to remember things like colours and such.
 

AWheeler

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,326
Reaction score
1,068
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
4 years
Test your tap that shouldn't disturb the parents too much! Your ph is also below 7 and it can cause crashes in ph (possibly) but I'm not sure entirely if that will cause a cycle crash, I think it would though.
Water qualities can change, especially this time of year. Do you have an old ice cream container, a bucket, or something similar?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
Hello all
I had to go to bed not long after this however it's now 7am so I can check my water parameters from tap

Tank is now very cloudy, wish it'd show up in photos ugh, it's just kinda too light to be picked up but I can see it irl. I'll edit this comment in a minute with parameters.

EDIT:
Here are parameters
7eab92402e4ceebc61122c1cf9ea70b0.jpg

pH is the same
5161eff1e212d71b9bc8a2921abaa94b.jpg


These are not, the nitrate looks at least 5, ammonia is the slightest tinge of green. It wasn't like this the last time I tested. Maybe this is why my levels have been so off...
 

EternalDancer

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
264
Location
Norfolk
Experience
1 year
You're in London and your tap water is 0, 0, 0?

I would double check that. Typically our water is pretty high on nitrate.

I would say your tank wasn't cycled and now it's showing.

Lots of water changes will help, but double check your source first.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
EternalDancer said:
You're in London and your tap water is 0, 0, 0?

I would double check that. Typically our water is pretty high on nitrate.

I would say your tank wasn't cycled and now it's showing.

Lots of water changes will help, but double check your source first.
Yeah weird but I'm 99% it was, I just updated my comment above. I've tested before and it's been 0/0/0

Also yeah I know my tank isn't cycled haha, not my choice but gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Dunno what I'm gonna do if the water changes are adding to the problem...
 

TerryCat

Active Member
Member
Messages
202
Reaction score
19
Experience
1 year
I would get a cheap glass vase to put your betta in while it cycles, do daily or 100% water changes (or at least every few days) of the vase and let your tank cycle... it's nnot ideal for the betta but better than going through the cycle. Use food to fee the cycle in your tank. I lost a betta by not cycling it first and I don't want you to loose yours too
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
Terrelle said:
I would get a cheap glass vase to put your betta in while it cycles, do daily or 100% water changes (or at least every few days) of the vase and let your tank cycle... it's nnot ideal for the betta but better than going through the cycle. Use food to fee the cycle in your tank. I lost a betta by not cycling it first and I don't want you to loose yours too
Wouldn't it be better to use ammonia? Although frozen food pollutes the water a lot so I guess it'd be pretty much the same. I have about 100 vases I can keep him in so I'll move him when my parents are awake and won't get mad because "I'm making too much noise" lol
What I might do is run up to the shops and buy a plastic tub thing so he has a little more room to swim than say, a vase. But it'll do for now. Poor little dude, he's been through so much lately. He seems okay at the moment.

Also how would I do 100% changes? Where do I put him when I've taken the water out? In a little cup or something? I've never done anything like this and betta cups are not something that exist over here.
 

EternalDancer

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
264
Location
Norfolk
Experience
1 year
Get yourself a plastic tub, put him in it.

Do a 50% change in the morning, 50% in the evening. Less stressful. The morning change can be a 30 second scoop some water out and pour some water in if you've places to be. The evening change can be a suck out poop and whatnot.

I would definitely use pure ammonia if you can, it'll be much more accurate for cycling.
 

Kiks

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,194
Reaction score
510
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can find pure ammonia in a store, buy it and use it. Using anything else is much more difficult and inaccurate.
I know nothing about bettas, but I've read tons of threads on this forum where people have said that you should always cycle without fish unless it's with a betta, since they're really hardy. I don't know if this is true, just seems to be something a lot of people agree on.
I'd always cycle fishless, but when you're doing a fish-in-cycle that's not really an option anymore.

Also, adding Prime would be a much easier option. If you can keep your water parameters as they are now and dose Prime to detoxify the 0.25 ppm ammonia, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to keep your fish where he is now.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
SuperK

SuperK

Well Known
Member
Messages
612
Reaction score
143
Location
London, UK
Experience
1 year
Kiks said:
Also, adding Prime would be a much easier option. If you can keep your water parameters as they are now and dose Prime to detoxify the 0.25 ppm ammonia, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to keep your fish where he is now.
I'd have to order prime online which can take ages to come, I live in the UK and it's not easy to find in stores.

Kiks said:
If you can find pure ammonia in a store, buy it and use it. Using anything else is much more difficult and inaccurate.
I know nothing about bettas, but I've read tons of threads on this forum where people have said that you should always cycle without fish unless it's with a betta, since they're really hardy. I don't know if this is true, just seems to be something a lot of people agree on.
I'd always cycle fishless, but when you're doing a fish-in-cycle that's not really an option anymore.
If this was my choice I would've done fishless. However the tank is pretty much uninhabitable at this point and I'd rather not put him through the stress of constantly changing parameters. He's already lethargic. He's usually very active but now he's just kind of sitting around on things. I'm about to go buy a cheap tub, I believe we might have ammonia at home but if not I can go out tomorrow as well and grab some. It's kind of a long journey that I don't really wanna have to do, I live kinda far from most of the hardware stores near me. Tub and ammonia in one day is difficult. Opposite ends of town.
 

EternalDancer

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
264
Location
Norfolk
Experience
1 year
B&Q, Wilkos or similar should have both, I would think...

Make sure your ammonia is 100%, or just mixed with water, no other additives.

I don't know I've ever seen prime over here, although I'd think we must have something similar?

BottomDweller Coradee any ideas? I think you're both UK... apologies if not.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
243
Guests online
3,303
Total visitors
3,546

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom