Really?!?! Angelfish Eggs

1. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

So, I sold off all my Cichlid babies, drained and cleaned the tank, prepped water and transferred my angel pair from the community to a 20L by themselves so they could breed in peace for once.

First they freaked me out:

Question - Strange Angel Behavior When Moved To Breeding Tank

And then today I come home to this...apparently my special pipe for them just isnt good enough...LOL crazy freakin fish!

@Tanks and Plants
    @bizaliz3

20170407_162426.jpg

2. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Those crazy kids!

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

At least it's not further down on the intake like the post from last week. lol

4. Kolegrundy92

Kolegrundy92 Valued Member Member

Right before they hatch, you can shut that filter off and maybe throw a seeded sponge filter in?

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Get a second intake tube to try next time.... That's like the kids or cats playing with the box instead of the toy!

6. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

LOL! @Kolegrundy92 I have a sponge filter in there and I also have little pre filter sponges to go over the intake - I was GOING TO PUT ONE ON WHEN I GOT HOME hahaha! I just transferred them Tuesday and they were freaked out, didnt think they would go at it so soon!

7. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

Wow fish do the strangest things! I wonder if the color played a part in why they bred on the intake. Maybe the pvc is too bright and that's why they bred on the pvc? And that's some choke eggs you have there! Your going to be a granddad a 100x's over! Better start working hard to support those grandkids!:)

8. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

Haha the female will not let the male near the eggs, she must blame him for all the times they failed in the community tank...LOL She is not fanning them though so we will see if they hatch...They look fertile, maybe the HOB filter being RIGHT THERE will give them enough water movement...

I already have several local buyers who bought cichlids from me excited :p

9. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

Update: she is still angry lol

20170407_195928.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

@bizaliz3 and everyone :)

We have wrigglers! :p
    The parents still have some learning to do as you can see but the Dad was picking them up and moving them around. I dont say this often...but IT WAS SO DANG CUTE when he tried to put one back and it fell and he was frantically searching the bottom of the tank for it <3

wrigglers.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

Update!

Well only 15 or so made it, but these guys are trying to be good parents! They moved what they could over to the bottom of the pipe I set up for them, I guess it was a good thing I made the base have a little dish because thats where they decided to put them :) They cleaned up the remainder of stuff off the intake pipe where they laid.

Its pretty awesome watching them care for their young, they will pick up any debris that comes near and take it away, then just stare at their babies and fan them every now and then - this is awesome!!!

20170411_181243.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

fry.jpg

13. Kolegrundy92

Kolegrundy92 Valued Member Member

Congrats on the spawn!

14. OP
    OP
    Bizarro252

Sadly they ate them, Oh well, they will try again soon...and I really do think I mean soon...stuck my hand in there last night to grab something and they attacked it, the male actually bit me - and it actually kinda hurt!! HAHA. Crazy fish...