Really aggressive killifish pair!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishguy122, Aug 13, 2015.

1. fishguy122

fishguy122Well Known MemberMember

Hello everyone. I trialed putting a goby in my new tank (I've rearranged it to make it more like a stream with rocks and stuff), and the killifish pair (even the female) went berserk and tried to kill it! The weird thing is they don't care about the balloon rams in there, but the second I put a new fish in they go crazy. What's the deal here?

Just wanted to add they literally chased it in a pair so Atleast I might get some baby killies :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What type of killis?

3. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Gardneri

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Hmm... EricV breeds them, he can help you.

5. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with housing them with gobies and generally keep them in species only tanks for breeding.

6. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

I think they may be getting into breeding mode as they are both ( mainly the male) kind of 'nudging' the rams out of there way if that makes sense. I might have to get rid of them if this problem persists.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I have seen gardneri get moderately aggressive in community tanks, especially larger males.

What kind of Goby? If it was a Peacock Gudgeon, the similarity of color pattern might be the trigger.

8. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

No it was a lentipes multirdaiatus female which is basically grey/brown

9. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Odd. Well, you may never know what it was that got them all riled up over the goby. Guess the only solution is to separate the fish.

10. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Yeah I guess I might have to get rid of the killis....

11. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I would suggest that you separate the fish. Could it be that the killifish are becoming territorial as they start to breed?

12. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

That can't be done as I don't have any more tanks that are appropriate for them. I do have a heavily planted 1.6 gallon shrimp bowl but that already has shrimp in it, so I guess they're become dinner of I out one of the killis in it.

13. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Time for a timeout box. A breeder box with a lid and air filter may be required here.