Reality Check On A New 55 Gallon Freshwater Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Gray Tiger, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Gray TigerNew MemberMember

Hi!

I'm setting up a 55 gallon community tank and since I'm expanding into some unfamiliar fishes, I thought it might be a good idea to get a reality check.

Here are the specs:

55 gallon tank
    2 Eheim 2213 filters with pre-filters for each placed at two ends of the tank
    Java ferns, Amazon swords and a whole lot of fake plants
    3 or 4 largish aquarium rocks with caves that are arranged so there are three distinct "zones"
    Black and blue gravel substrate

Fishes:

2 Angel fish
    2 Pearl Gouramis
    2 Electric Ram Cichlids
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5 Kuhli Loaches
    2 or 3 Bamboo Shrimps
    2 or 3 Mystery Snails
    And 6 schooling fish (tetras?)

I haven't got the fishes or the plants yet as I'm still cycling the tank (its only been a week). I have a 20 gallon tank where I'm doing 2x/week water changes. That water is being used for my new tank so I can hopefully cycle faster. I'm also using Stability.

Anyway, can I ask for feedback regarding:

- fish selection/compatibility
    - overstocked (Aqadvisor is saying I'm at 93%). I don't mind going slightly over 100%.
    - if I'm understocked, should I add 1 more Gourami, Ram Cichlid, or Pleco? Or another "couple" fish with low bioload?
    - Tetra school fish suggestion?

Any other suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Gouramis-at least mine- Can get a little nippy with larger fins, so just keep an eye on your angelfish
    Being slightly overstock is not a big deal, you'll just have to change slightly more water every water change.
    Understocking is not a problem either, you could have one fish in that tank and be fine
    Cardinal tetras are always a good choice for peaceful school fish. I like red-eye tetras, but they can get nippy as well.

3. Gray TigerNew MemberMember

You're right on the over-stocking....in my 20 gallon, I'm at 120% but everyone looks happy with the once per week water change.

Yup Im very concerned about the nippiness to the point if its easier to give up the angelfish and add more gouramis and couple more cichlids. If its a 50/50 thing, I'm willing to do the latter.

4. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

You could get gouramis with different personalities. I had a jerky male who constantly messed with both my more passive angelfish the female gourami. You really just need to look out for the personality, its not a definite they will be nippy. Imo, i like anglelfish a bit more than gouramis anyways.

5. tetratetrisValued MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!!!

Adding on to the angelfish and tetras you may want to get small/juvenile angelfish or larger tetras. If you get a young angelfish they may "grow up" with the tetras and be less likely to harm or eat them, it also would be harder because they are smaller imo. The angel fish may eat smaller tetras is basically my point.

6. Gray TigerNew MemberMember

Thanks for the advice...and the welcome! :)

I'm definitely looking at the larger tetras ... the smaller ones are just too small for a 55 gallon tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice