Realistic Or No? 55 Gallon Tank

1. brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

My fish are healthy and all is well, but the fish I have are schooling fish and aren't in schools. I initially did have them in groups of 6, but one would always die and I never got to replace them! I want on aqadvisor and put in the stocking I want! Rehung is not an option so please don't toy with that! Also, it says I'm overstocked but based off other people's suggestions for other people's 55 gallon, they are overstocked as well.
    This is the dream stocking:
    [​IMG]

2. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Some of the fish are not compatible temperature wise. The ones that definitely jump out to be are the Angelfish and the Bristlenose Pleco.

Umm another thing that could happen is Serpae tetras are beautiful fish, however they can be extremely nippy fish!! Your Angelfish and Gourami could be nipped incessantly. Keep in mind also that Angelfish and Gourami take care of their eggs and both can be aggressive about it.

3. brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

When will you know if the angelfish is pregnant and having eggs? Are there signs? Bc I have noticed my two angels guarding the one section of the aquarium and chasing any fish that comes near it, especially the pearls.

4. antoine smith Initiate Member

I would day ditch the serpaes and would decrease your bio load as well they can be nippy.

5. tjander Well Known Member Member

Angle fish protecting an area of the tank is a good sign they have mated or are about to. Unless you are wanting to raise the fry, just leave them alone. No fry wil survive with out intervention...

6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

As mentioned above, due to their nippy behavior, I would be wary of putting serpae's with angels, but I most definitely would not do them with pearls included in the picture.

You could do a large single school of 20 or so, or two smaller schools (10 or so each).

Black neons and cherrys don't overlap too much with angels, warmer fish like rummynose tetra, lemon tetra, glowlight tetra, cardinal tetra, gold tetra, Congo tetra, Boesemani rainbows, etc... would be more temperature compatible.

What about something like this?

2x Angelfish (pair)
    10x rummynose tetra
    10x glowlight tetra
    8-10x kuhli loaches

Edit: There just isn't enough room for both a pair of angelfish and a trio of pearl gouramis in a 55g Imo, if your more attached to your pearls you could take out the angels and do your gouramis instead.

Male guppies may work, but they may end up becoming a snack for the angels later on.

7. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

If they are guarding a section of the tank then most likely you are going to have eggs soon.

8. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

That is a lot of fish. I get flak for overstocking and I don't have half of that. Do you already have all those fish in the tank, or that's just what you want? If not what do you already have?

9. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

@MissRuthless, whether or not a stock is full depends on the types of fish, their bioloads, aggression etc... not just about numbers. :)

10. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I'm not talking sheer numbers - I've been having this debate for quite awhile. The common consensus is that four mid dwelling schools is too much for a 55 - in my opinion that's exacerbated by the five large centerpiece fish, and the schools being ten apiece. If OP were to drop one school (hopefully serpaes as they are horrible nippers, like everyone said, I had to dispose of mine) and replace it with a school of something to clean up the bottom I would consider that less overstocked.

It's taken me a long time to accept the less-is-more theory with fish, and I totally understand the feeling of despising the empty space in a tank... but if there's no empty space, fish buzzing all over every inch of the tank, the fish have no peace, no space to themselves and this will more often than not lead to issues of one sort or another. After much trial and error, I prefer to give my fish as much space as I can manage as I like to see them thrive and be comfortable.

11. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I may have not been very clear with my first post, but I meant to imply the same.

I don't think both pairs of angels and PG's can coexist peacefully in a 55g either, I wasn't saying to stock around them both, just one or the other.
    I agree, with all of the fish OP mentioned he/she would be have issues.

12. brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

So the fish I have currently are as follows :
    5 x serpae tetra
    5 x Indian glassfish
    5 x black neons
    3 x cherry barbs
    3 x pearls
    2 x angels
    1 x bristlenosed pleco

The serpae tetras are not an issue so far with any of the fish and only concentrate on each other. Yes, the angels and pearls do chase each other but to me that's fish just having fun . I understand I made mistakes in my stocking but it's my first real aquarium and it's been. Going for a year strong! I was just upping the schools bc I thought the fish would be more comfortable that way!
    Rehousing isn't really an option for I don't know how to go about it and my parents would never let me.

13. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I was assuming you only had the pearls and angels, for some reason. Why wouldn't your parents let you rehome any fish?
    Where did you originally buy all the fish? If you have a LFS nearby, they might be willing to take some of your fish off your hands for store credit or something, otherwise you could post an ad in the buy/sell/trade section on this forum, there might be someone in your local vicinity.

What temperature are you currently keeping this tank at?

14. brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

The fish came petco and a lps that is very stingy and strict and they wouldn't let me return five fish who died4 days ago bc they only take fish back from three days! Still irritates me! Also, I don't think I'll get a store credit so there's that. I'm not home so I'll get the temp up later.

How many fish do you think I can get away with adding??? The last time I added was probably three months to four months ago. Will the bioload be too much at the time or are we set? I'm thinking either 3 cherry barbs or 5 Indian glass fish

So I added three cherry barbs today and hope they are set with the other three in the tank currently! I'm trying to finalize things and let if go! Everyone say a prayer that all goes well![​IMG][​IMG]
    the new cherry is in top right! The other two are hiding!

15. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

So... You know you're overstocked, but you add more fish anyway? Not a good call.

16. brousecasey12 Well Known Member Member

So you've seen my discussions but didn't reply? Not a good call.
    And how do you know I'm overstocked?

17. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I personally wouldn't be adding more fish to the tank, until you are able to fix the stocking as it is. You may need to get a second tank to house the fish this one can't since your parents won't let you rehome.

18. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Have you looked around for any privately owned fishstores near you? You could try posting an ad on facebook or here for local pickup, craigslist is an option as well.

Edit: As mentioned above, is it possible for you to get another tank? You are overstocked, but not necessarily wholly due to bioload.

19. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Certain fish need a minimum amount of gallons per fish and you have surpassed that which means your tank is overstocked and crowded. That's just science. When you're overstocked you run a MUCH higher risk of disease and deaths in the tank.

20. fissh Well Known Member Member

brousecasey12 are you happy with your tank the way it is? If you are, just keep it the way it is, and react if there becomes a problem. Your tank looks great and the fish look healthy! In my humble opinion your tank doesn't look overstocked, and just because some bull pucky website says your overstocked doesn't mean much! I'm not saying that your serpaes won't start nipping fins or you anglefish won't breed and put lots of hurt on your other fish, I'm saying react when you have a reason to. :)