Realised That Some Of My Tap Water Is In My Tank, Will My Betta Be Okay? Don't Have A Test Kit Atm.

iman350

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all. Kinda worried as at the moment i dont have a siphon / gravel vac so have been using an old nutella jar thing (completely clean) to remove uneaten flake food from the tank.

I just realised though that iv been risning it in warm/ hot water from my bathroom tap before using it to take out the food. sometimes there is a teensy bit of tap water (like drops) left it. Will this be harmful to my fish? The water in my tank is treated with dechlorinator. I didnt even realise what i was doing until just now. Ive not got a test kit on me, but I can hopefully take a sample of the water to my local shop maybe sometime this weekend. I am meant to do a water change today, so if i add dechlorinator to that water will my tank be okay? ( as it will get mixed in with the already existing water in my tank). Thank you guys. I'm completely freaking out. My fish doesnt seem to be behaving weirdly or anything.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A teeny amount should be fine. As for the water change, you can dose the new water in a container before you add it to the tank or dose the whole tank volume and add the tap water after.

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Firstly, Get a good water test kit, like the liquid API freshwater master kit so you can know exactly how your water is doing! It will last you for ages, it's a good buy.

15% water changes are not enough unless you do them every day (and maybe not even then, depending on how your test readings come out). Every tank is different, but say you get a reading of 40ppm Nitrates... it's much better to have them 20 or below. If you change 15% of your water that will put you at 34ppm nitrates (uh, If I did my math right).

Nitrates build up, which means they would just keep getting higher between every change. If you do a 50% change you will make a much better difference for the health of your water. I usually do between 30 and 75% on mine, depending on how messy the tank is!

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also! Any old(aquarium safe) tube can be a siphon/gravel vacuum in the short term! Even a fat straw glued to an airline tube!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom