Real quick ?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My aunt just called and told me she has high nitrates and bought something to get them down but didn't work the first time so she's trying it again. What's the natural way of getting htem down, just frequient water changes right?

Thanks

austin

petercaine

Reaction score
25% to 40% every other day helped reduce our nitrite we also brought a corner filter that runs of the air pump it was filled with bio media this will reduce nitrite in about a week we have got a juwell vision 180L and our first reading was quite high (cant remember exactly how high) but it reduced ours down to 0 in a week but regular water changes is the best good luck

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
atmmachine816 said:
My aunt just called and told me she has high nitrates and bought something to get them down but didn't work the first time so she's trying it again.  What's the natural way of getting htem down, just frequient water changes right?

Thanks

austin
Yes, I'd perform more frequent and/or larger water changes - this is what ALWAYS works for me when I want to lower my nitrate

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, here about a shortage in BN plecos she can't find any and I looked and called around and can't find any anywhere except one place selling them at 40$. don't know what type of BN pleco that is never heard of them that expensive.

petercaine

Reaction score
sorry aint got me glasses on the bio media filter will still lower the nitrates as well in the uk it cost me less than £10 to set up still worth a try

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The nitrates here are VERY high, almost toxic for some people part of the year and I have lost fish with this water. The very best thing I have found to lower the nitrate levels NATURALLY is LIVE PLANTS!! They use the nitrates as a fertilizer and they clear the water for you. Don't cost as much as filters and chemicals either.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chemicals bad. Water changes good. Plants better (With water changes too of course)

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use live plants and weekly water changes seems to work for me good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom