Question Real Plants Vs Fake Plants???

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
HI again,

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on real vs fake plants. I understand how they work and all that but what is your guys suggestion as far as it goes? I only have a 20 gallon tall so right now it is stocked with fake plants but I'm planning on getting some live plants in the future. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of substrate do you have?

Most people prefer real plants as they actually benefit your tank by absorbing nitrate, producing oxygen, and using phosphate and other nutrients which helps prevent algae from growing. In my opinion, they look way better and create a more natural looking environment.

Most fish won't care whether you have real or fake plants. Gouramis and other fish like to hide in plants, and bettas sleep on them, so they prefer real plants as they're softer than plastic ones. But schooling fish rarely touch the plants.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, for years I used fake plants because of being overwhelmed, knowing I’d fail. Then I added moss balls, watched them grow and it gave me the “bug.” I recommend starting with some easy, low tech ones. Anubias, java fern, mosses, hornwort, water sprite, there are many others. Once you start you will get addicted!

I like fish123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fake plants are easy to use but real plants are nice to o a tank,fish like them and help with some chemistry levels,but live ones need trimming and you have to keep temperture right,correct ph levels and more

OP
Wyatt Castle

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
WTFish? said:
Hi, for years I used fake plants because of being overwhelmed, knowing I’d fail. Then I added moss balls, watched them grow and it gave me the “bug.” I recommend starting with some easy, low tech ones. Anubias, java fern, mosses, hornwort, water sprite, there are many others. Once you start you will get addicted!
Yeah I was thinking about doing the moss balls as a start as well

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had fake plants for quite a few years, once I started with growing real plants there was no turning back. Real plants from know on, they look so much better then the fake plants.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I now only have one small fake plant because it’s attached to a cave that my cories Love.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Imo real plants all the way!!! There are a lot of plants that require little to no maintenence (and even no substrate), help keep the tank healthy, look great and are much safer than fake.

Once you go real plants you can't do back

OP
Wyatt Castle

Wyatt Castle

Reaction score
WTFish? said:
I now only have one small fake plant because it’s attached to a cave that my cories Love.
Do you have any real plants?

Barch

Reaction score
Just get yourself some Java Ferns, Anubis, and Amazon Swords. All 3 are super easy, require no maintenance, no fertilizer/c02, or special lighting. The swords don't do as well as my Java and Anubis, but all are in my 20 high. I have a couple fake plants I used to zip tie the real ones to because they don't really want to be buried in the substrate, other than the Amazon Sword's.

They thrive, my Java Ferns are in all of my tanks and have grown new leaves like crazy. My tanks cycles are very stable because of them too. My 20 high is very heavily stocked and they help keep my numbers very low as far as Nitrares go. I only do a water change once a week and I have 20 fish in a 20 high, and a bristlenose pelco.

Real plants are cheaper than fake too. I have Water Wistera in my Betta tank along with Java Ferns and Moss Balls (sometimes called Luffa Balls). The Water Wisteria is a great looking plant too but if you move stuff around a lot during water changes I suggest agianst it because they are messy and fall apart easily. My Betta tank doesn't get a deep clean often and I can usually clean around it but I failed to have it in my 20 high due to me moving plants and taking everything out weekly for my vacuum and water changes.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wyatt Castle said:
Do you have any real plants?
Yes, all that I mentioned above (except I killed my water sprite somehow) plus a ludwigia Ovalis and an alternanthera Reineckii

sfsamm

Well Known
Reaction score
I always support real plants. I only use fake in QT and only because I can throw them away after and don't have to worry about meds killing real plants.

Aquilist

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Real is better IMO.
For easy, low-tech plants I suggest anubias, java fern, amazon sword, bunch baby tears and banana lilies. Also hairgrass (not dwarf)

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Real
pros:
-filter the water
-produce oxygen
-reduce cleaning and maintenance
-compete with algae
-provide a more natural environment
-oftentimes aesthetically more pleasing
-dynamic
cons:
-need to be trimmed and maintained
-require special lighting and fertilizers
-can be eaten by herbivorous organisms
-will die without proper conditions and care
-not easily moved once established

Fake
pros:
-no trimming or fertilizing
-easy to clean and transplant around the tank
-come in lots of shapes and colors not seen in nature
-inedible
-provide cover for fish just like real plants
cons:
-obviously artificial
-prone to algae and collecting debris
-static, will not grow or change
-does not help with water quality
-can be expensive compared to plants
-some may harm fish with sharp points or rough edges

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are plenty of live plants that are so easy its no different than keeping plastic ones. Java ferns, Anubias, Amazon Sword, Hornwort, Water Sprite, Banana plants, Frogbit and dwarf water lettuce just to name a few. You can basically put any of those into any fish tank that's getting 6-8 hours of light a day and not worry about them. The swords and sprite would like some root tabs, but again, sticking a little piece of fert in the substrate once every few months isn't that hard. You couldnt pay me to put plastic in my tanks, and the more you try real ones, the more you'll want. Its like owning fish. Youll end up with more and more plants, setting up new tanks, etc.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do a little research and go live plants. I too thought live plants were above my limited knowledge. Mind you I’ve killed a couple plants but I have many more thriving then I’ve killed at this point!

New Threads