real or fake plants - Page 2

Which is better real or fake plants

• Total voters

0morrokh

COBettaCouple said:
ah.. like Pig Pen in the Peanuts comics?
No, not at all. Pig Pen was dirty himself but everything didn't fall into chaos and filth and disorder whenever he looked at it.

COBettaCouple

wow.. that sounds like a politician!

0morrokh said:
fall into chaos and filth and disorder whenever he looked at it.

0morrokh

bmxer193

I love real plants but I would probely kill them...so I have fake plants in my tank

0morrokh

bmxer193 said:
I love real plants but I would probely kill them...so I have fake plants in my tank
You could try java fern...it looks nice and it's one of the very few plants I haven't managed to kill.

Coryd55

Real all the way.

Jimold

0morrokh said:
You could try java fern...it looks nice and it's one of the very few plants I haven't managed to kill.
Java ferns are pretty easy. They are one of the plants that you don't put into the ground; instead you tie it to a rock or piece of driftwood, and it'll root itself to it in a couple months or so. Some of the PetCo's around here sell Java ferns already attached to pieces of waterlogged driftwood. Pretty much just buy it and drop it into your tank, although I'm not sure about putting a piece of already waterlogged wood from one tank to another.

MrWaxhead

I am a huge fan of plants in a tank and personally could never run a tank again without them, but in the end it really boils down to what works for you. If your going to go planted it really helps to do a lot of research on what will work for you and your tank. Otherwise the plants will start to die, and make matters worse in your tank and on your wallet. And some plants are a lot of work to maintain and trI'm etc, others are very easy.

And some will plain just not grow unless you give them the right settings of light or c02 etc. There are many many options are far as low care low light plants that can look fantastic to though. But again it boils down to reading lots and finding plants that will work for your settings, and not just going into a store and going oh that looks nice and buying things. You basically have to treat them like fish and only buy them if they make sense for the tank you plan on putting them in.

Jimold

MrWaxhead said:
I am a huge fan of plants in a tank and personally could never run a tank again without them, but in the end it really boils down to what works for you. If your going to go planted it really helps to do a lot of research on what will work for you and your tank. Otherwise the plants will start to die, and make matters worse in your tank and on your wallet. And some plants are a lot of work to maintain and trI'm etc, others are very easy.

And some will plain just not grow unless you give them the right settings of light or c02 etc. There are many many options are far as low care low light plants that can look fantastic to though. But again it boils down to reading lots and finding plants that will work for your settings, and not just going into a store and going oh that looks nice and buying things. You basically have to treat them like fish and only buy them if they make sense for the tank you plan on putting them in.
I'm not sure if I could say it any better... lol

fishgirl

when I got my first tank I had to talk him in to getting live plants and now he likes them as much as I do. My fish are happier and the tanks have a natural look.

Jimold

fishgirl said:
when I got my first tank I had to talk him in to getting live plants and now he likes them as much as I do. My fish are happier and the tanks have a natural look.
congrats on the success of your plants. Tell me more, did you go all out onlights, substrate, etc... How long has your tank been going???

fishgirl

My 10G has been set up for about 5 months, I use Under Ground Filter AND Hang On the Back filter. Regular gravel. and a 15watt fluorescent bulb.
My 5.5G has been running for about 4 months, UGF and HOB, regular gravel with a compact flourecent blub.
I don't do anything special.
you can see a pic of my 10G tank under my name to the left of my posts.

Tayful

Never had real plants but that's because I haven't gotten my "real" tank yet (by "real" tank I mean above 10g). I love real plants because they grow, and, of course, make the tank look more natural. I love aquariums because I get to control the life inside them and make it look how I want it to look, like my own little world. I vote real plants

≈ D ≈

Currently using fake but eventually will move to real plants after more research. Live plants do look better and help the owner out too.

Herbydad

I started out with real plants but my silver dollar changed all that. So long as I have the silver dollar I can't have real plants.

Jimold

Tayful said:
Never had real plants but that's because I haven't gotten my "real" tank yet (by "real" tank I mean above 10g). I love real plants because they grow, and, of course, make the tank look more natural. I love aquariums because I get to control the life inside them and make it look how I want it to look, like my own little world. I vote real plants
Actually, I was amazed the other night when I had a revelation. I was reading TakashI Amamo's "Nature Aquarium World" when I realized just how TINY some of the tanks are. A lot can't be more than 5-10 gallon. I should have realized: he's Japanese, and Japan isn't exactly known for it's huge living space...lol. Truth is, mosy people in Japan live in homes or appartments that would be down right claustrophobic here in the US. So obviously you don't have room for a big tank.
Anyway, my point is you don't have to have a big tank to make a beautiful garden tank. As long as you plan carefully, you can make a great mini-garden tank. In fant, I think the AGA has a category for 5 gallon and smaller tanks in their garden tank of the year contest.

Oil_Fan

Real plants...though they're not really classified as plants. I have some macro algae (seaweed) in my Saltwater tank. But no fake plants in there.

Then only fake in there is the bubbling treasure chest. heh

Herbydad

Any owner of a silver dollar will know that live plants are not really an option as they get eaten.

Tio

I have both .once the real plants start to get bigger then I will slowly remove the fake plants:

Jimold

here's a pic of my newest planted tank:

I could never have fake plants again

Gamer

I've only had fake and am just now getting real ones. I ordered a bunch for my tanks from aquariumgarden.com. So ya, I am able to vote real now!

♥ashley♥

I chose fake plants. just because of the fact that whenI added real plants to my tank there was a algae over load in my tank. so I was very fustrated at that. also I got some very unwanted little buddys from them. (that I'm still trying to get out of my tank)

Jimold

♥ashley♥ said:
I chose fake plants. just because of the fact that whenI added real plants to my tank there was a algae over load in my tank. so I was very fustrated at that. also I got some very unwanted little buddys from them. (that I'm still trying to get out of my tank)
I know I'm on the real plant side of this, but I am also the first to say plants are a royal pain in the butt! Unless you're ready for a lot more extra work and such, I would definitly stay with fake ones for now. There's some amazing silk ones on the market that, with some imagination and planning, a person could make a killer aquascape and most people would never know it's now real.
As for the unwanted guests, clown loaches are normally considered an asian fish, but the truth is they should be listed as FRENCH; because they have a particular appatite for snails!
Try getting 1 or 2 small ones and watch what happens..lol.

Blub

Hi!

I'm allergic to fake plants! Eugh - no fake plants come near my planted tank!

wolfman21

Now I'm completely for the real plants, and I have driftwood in there too, its completely natural.

susitna-flower

Real.

Jimold

wolfman21 said:
Now I'm completely for the real plants, and I have driftwood in there too, its completely natural.
I've always loved driftwood vs. plastic ornaments. Something about the way a good twisted piece of wood shines under the right kind of light...

Angela_96

wolfman21

Jim said:
I've always loved driftwood vs. plastic ornaments. Something about the way a good twisted piece of wood shines under the right kind of light...
Yeah I like having the driftwood in there, it gives good cover for the cories, too! The only problem is the tannins, otherwise it's maintenance-free.

Jimold

steveangela1 said:
none, I have african cichlids.. plants equal something to tear up
I have a fantastic book: Peter Hiscock's "Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature". It basically about setting up bio-tropic environments to match particular regions of the world, and was the inspiration for my Swamp tank. Anyway, if you look in the section on African Cichlids, you'll see theat they have NO plants or driftwood, only some cool looking rocks. So as far as your African tank goes, you're exactly where your fish want you to be!!

Gamer

Jim said:
I have a fantastic book: Peter Hiscock's "Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature". It basically about setting up bio-tropic environments to match particular regions of the world, and was the inspiration for my Swamp tank. Anyway, if you look in the section on African Cichlids, you'll see theat they have NO plants or driftwood, only some cool looking rocks. So as far as your African tank goes, you're exactly where your fish want you to be!!
I haven't read that book yet but I've read some sites on setting up bio-tropic environments and that is what I am in the process of doing now for my angelfish.

I'll be setting up the substrate to create a dappled effect and will be using live plants to reflect the lush vegetation of an Amazonian rainforest river basin in South America and driftwood to create a fallen tree trunk effect.

I've also read that about african cichlids. No plants or driftwood just plenty of rocks and caves.

Your swamp tank still amazes me.

Jimold

Gamer said:
I haven't read that book yet but I've read some sites on setting up bio-tropic environments and that is what I am in the process of doing now for my angelfish.

I'll be setting up the substrate to create a dappled effect and will be using live plants to reflect the lush vegetation of an Amazonian rainforest river basin in South America and driftwood to create a fallen tree trunk effect.

I've also read that about african cichlids. No plants or driftwood just plenty of rocks and caves.

Your swamp tank still amazes me.
hehehe, my swamp still amazes ME! I can come home from a bad day and just sit in front of it for hours. I am facinated by the interaction between fish, plant and invert. And it's not far from what you're going to build. I got the information for it from Hiscock's I mentioned; the chapter on Southeast Asian Swamps. And the look was inspired from one of TakashI Amano's tanks. It's in his "Aquarium Plant Paradise", near the back. The tank is an unbelievably moss covered thing called "Shimmering Shoreline" and it's possibly my favorite of Amano's tanks.
Anyway, what you're shotting for, according to Hiscock, is a "Flooded Amazon Forest". It's what I'm building in my 48 gallon column (pictures to some soon..). The discription is that in the spring the rains flood the amazon and it's tributaries; flooding vast sections of the rainforests. FYI, this is why most sword plants can survive in and out of the water. Anyway, this is when fish like angels and neons move into the forests to breed in the relative safety of all that forest cover. This is why things like treestumps are great decorations for this kind of tank, and the tannins aren't going to hurt a bit, because it occurs naturally anyway.
What helps me out is it turns out an Amazon forest and Asian swamp are very similar. Both are very soft water and low pH, in fact about the only difference I can see is current. The Amazon should have some water movement, but the Swamp should be as still as possible. Technically neither of my tanks is a true Amazon or Asian, because I have plants crossed over from one to another in each. And the plants thrive in either. It's the other reason I like these particular bio-tropes, they're sort of interchangable, so if there's a problem in one I have the other to move fish into in an emergancy.
Anyway, good luck with your tank, I can't wait to see pics when it's done and aged a while. And I would DEFINITLYY look for Hiscosks book. It's not only a goldmine of info, it's also a fascinating read on fish environments in general and provides a lot of insite whether you have plants or not.

Gamer

Ah yes, you described it perfectly. What I want is a flooded forest. It probably will not be a perfect amazon biotope and I'm sure it will have a few non-region species but mostly it'll house angels, catfish and perhaps a school of hatchetfish. No need to worry about tannins from my driftwood as it's actually a very favorable substance that I want leaking into my flooded forest tank. I will even add some "Black Water Extract" to replicate the natural black water habitat. Good luck on yours as well, I can't wait to see it. An asian swamp tank for gouramis is my next plan after this project and although they're not from the region I will probably include rainbowfish as well because I want them as much as I do gouramis. So it probably won't be a perfect example of a southeast asian biotope but more of an interpretation of one...I'll call it, southeast asian/australian biotope, lol.

Jimold

Gamer said:
Ah yes, you described it perfectly. What I want is a flooded forest. It probably will not be a perfect amazon biotope and I'm sure it will have a few non-region species but mostly it'll house angels, catfish and perhaps a school of hatchetfish. No need to worry about tannins from my driftwood as it's actually a very favorable substance that I want leaking into my flooded forest tank. I will even add some "Black Water Extract" to replicate the natural black water habitat. Good luck on yours as well, I can't wait to see it. An asian swamp tank for gouramis is my next plan after this project and although they're not from the region I will probably include rainbowfish as well because I want them as much as I do gouramis. So it probably won't be a perfect example of a southeast asian biotope but more of an interpretation of one...I'll call it, southeast asian/australian biotope, lol.
I call mine Hybreds for lack of a better term
One thing about tyour angels. When they reach maturity and pair up, they get MEAN!!! And one they lay eggs all your other fish in that tank are in MORTAL danger. I don't exagerate, Angels are cichlids, it just takes them longer to remember. I'm not saying to not get them, quite the opposite. Adult angels amazing parents and are facinating to watch. Just be ready to evacuate your other fish some day.

Karma_Sea

When I first got live plants they did great and grew fast, but them the snails came, and my Balloon Mollies discovered that my plants were edible.

At one point I had a tank full of beautiful lush live plants, now I’m down to only one live plant and lots of fake. If I did not love my Mollies so much I would hate them for being such piggish little fish, but I could never really hate them!

Jimold

Karma_Sea said:
When I first got live plants they did great and grew fast, but them the snails came, and my Balloon Mollies discovered that my plants were edible.

At one point I had a tank full of beautiful lush live plants, now I’m down to only one live plant and lots of fake. If I did not love my Mollies so much I would hate them for being such piggish little fish, but I could never really hate them!
I made that same mistake years ago with an Oscar. I had a beautiful tank, until he decided to uproot everything. I have snails, and they're actually not a problem. 1 or 2 clown loaches will clear them out fast. But you do have to be very careful about herbivorous fish. I just replanted all my hygrophiles because my little pleco shredded the last ones cleaning the algae off the leaves. Turns out the leaves themselves must be rather tasty.

Karma_Sea

I got a clown loach last week. When I put him in I had snails every where. Now I don't see any. Hopefully I can replant my tank, Mollies permitting.

Oscars can be tricky that way. My brother has three, the two smaller ones do fine in a highly planted tank, but the biggest one is so temperamental that he can not keep anything in the tank with him. I was sitting in the living room of his house one day talking with his girlfriend and Oscar (that is the Oscar’s name, so original) anyway Oscar got angry that there was a plant in his tank so he took in and tossed it out of the tank, along with a gallon of water or more and just barely missed my purse sitting on the desk next to the tank. What a temper on him. He is one of the most fun fish to watch, what with all that personality.

purple_phoenix

My clown loaches aren't too bad, but my oscar eats anything that I put in the tank. First my live plants, then silk ones, and now leaves are missing even from plastic plants. I think they only get uprooted in his attempts to devour them

I'm still trying to find some sort of decoration that'll give the tank some colour (other than brown!) that he won't destroy.

I definitely prefer live plants in my other tanks though. I've have some fun getting some to root to my bogwood as well. I'm sure once the cotton and plant weights come off it'll look much more natural.

Jimold

small clown loaches are definitly the best snail prevention I've ever seen. They can't tackle an adult, but they absolutly LOVE little ones. It' like they're French or something... lol!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm pass the butter! hehehe

Iluvatar

I would only get real plants

peacemaker92

I LOVE real plants but I use fake plants because real plants aren't easy to keep alive here in Malaysia. The temperature is always changing. I've always wanted real plants since I started with my 15 gallon but never have enough cash to get the proper stuff.

Blub

peacemaker92 said:
I LOVE real plants but I use fake plants because real plants aren't easy to keep alive here in Malaysia. The temperature is always changing. I've always wanted real plants since I started with my 15 gallon but never have enough cash to get the proper stuff.
You can keep several kinds of plants (Java fern, Fava moss, Hornwort, Anubias, Hygro) without fancy light levels - as long as it's at least 1 Watt per gallon they should be fine.

J J Indy

I prefer live plants but it depends on what you are stocking in your tank. I know that in my Oscar tank they trashed the live plants I had in there but in my community tank they are great.

owain

I have real plants at the moment.I have seen some pretty good fakes.

Regal

real plants

Once I tried real plants I was hooked!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom